PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider on Maggs

joeynach
12-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Dec. 15 - The Dodgers have entered the bidding for Ordoņez, reports the L.A. Times, with White Sox GM Kenny Williams asking for reliever Guillermo Mota, a starting pitcher and prospects in return. However, that asking price might be too steep for the Dodgers, who don't want to part with Mota. Ordoņez is entering the final year of his contract and will make $14 million next season.
Given that the Dodgers also are in discussions with the Mariners about a Paul LoDuca-for-Freddy Garcia trade, there is speculation L.A. could acquire Garcia, then spin him in a package for Ordo&ntiulde;ez. Chicago previously had expressed interest in the M's Garcia.

Previously, the Baltimore Sun indicated the Orioles could pursue Ordoņez if it can't sign Vladimir Guerrero. Anaheim was said to pondering an offer of closer Troy Percival or center fielder Darin Erstad for Ordoņez, but the Angels have since committed big money to pitchers Kelvim Escobar and Bartolo Colon and might not be willing to take on Ordoņez's salary.

hold2dibber
12-15-2003, 09:52 AM
One problem with dealing Maggs for Garcia is that Garcia is relatively expensive and won't provide the Sox with as much payroll relief as some other options. Garcia made just a hair under $7 million last year and is arbitration eligible. Seems like he's probably in line for somewhere around $8 million.

soxtalker
12-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Good side of this is that they talk about the trades for Maggs in terms of a bidding war.

jabrch
12-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
One problem with dealing Maggs for Garcia is that Garcia is relatively expensive and won't provide the Sox with as much payroll relief as some other options. Garcia made just a hair under $7 million last year and is arbitration eligible. Seems like he's probably in line for somewhere around $8 million.

Dibber, you think he is due a payraise after last year? He had his worst season yet as a pro. Sure he is a decent SP, but 8mm? I don't see that.

Like I have said before, this guy has some major baggage associated with him. Teammates and national media folks say he is not a gamer - that he doesn't prepare enough and that he may drink a bit too much in-season and even on nights before his starts. That's not what i want.

That said, 200+IP, 150+Ks and a sub 4 ERA would fit nicely with this rotation given what we lost from Bartolo.

soxrme
12-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Please do not trade Maggs. It would be as bad as letting Bainsee go back in the 80's. He is ours and should stay ours.

Tragg
12-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by joeynach
Previously, the Baltimore Sun indicated the Orioles could pursue Ordoņez if it can't sign Vladimir Guerrero. Anaheim was said to pondering an offer of closer Troy Percival or center fielder Darin Erstad for Ordoņez, but the Angels have since committed big money to pitchers Kelvim Escobar and Bartolo Colon and might not be willing to take on Ordoņez's salary.

Were we really going to trade him for Erstad or Percival? geeze.

The trade possibility in the sun times looks interesting - perez, mota and 2 top prospects - although I'd like to see a lead off hitter in the deal somewhere

lowesox
12-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Wow.. that would be an interesting trade if it were to go through - especially if the prospects are any good. I like KW's angle on this 3 good parts for this team for Maggs then sign Juan Gon - that would be pretty nice.

I love Maggs too, but this team needs to start winning now.

poorme
12-15-2003, 11:28 AM
I don't understand why the Dodgers would give us all these players and pay $14 million for Ordonez. It doesn't make sense to me.

Randar68
12-15-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by poorme
I don't understand why the Dodgers would give us all these players and pay $14 million for Ordonez. It doesn't make sense to me.

1) They are desperate for offense
2) They want to be rid of Perez
3) Dan Evans is the GM.

Tragg
12-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Wow.. that would be an interesting trade if it were to go through - especially if the prospects are any good. I like KW's angle on this 3 good parts for this team for Maggs then sign Juan Gon - that would be pretty nice.

I love Maggs too, but this team needs to start winning now.

How about a lead off hitter
We still have rbis from frank, lee and whoever we have playing first/dh
Juan's obp totals have taken a nosedive the last 2 years

Grobber33
12-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
Please do not trade Maggs. It would be as bad as letting Bainsee go back in the 80's. He is ours and should stay ours.

I agree they should keep Maggs(money not withstanding), BUT the original trade of Baines was a Great deal for the Sox by Himes. They got Wilson Alvarez who helped the 1993 Sox win the AL West and he tossed a complete game win in Tor in game 3 of the ALCS which gave the Sox a chance to pull that series out(they did'nt,but they were at least back in it after losing the first 2 games at home).If you hate Sosa(you likely do),or not,,getting him at the time was good as well and they used him to get George Bell(had a good year in 1992).They also re-acquired Scot Fletcher who played well. That was a deal the Sox got the better of from Texas.

pudge
12-15-2003, 12:26 PM
Stick to your guns Kenny! Hold on to Maggs as long as possible and only deal him if someone knocks your socks off.

Maggliosfan09
12-15-2003, 04:01 PM
if maggs leaves they are going to loose a lot of fans including me. No i'm not being a traitor i'm sick of JR and KW being cheap and giving up everything.

I'm with u Pudge

MRKARNO
12-15-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Maggliosfan09
if maggs leaves they are going to loose a lot of fans including me. No i'm not being a traitor i'm sick of JR and KW being cheap and giving up everything.

I'm with u Pudge

If we got Mota, Jackson and Perez in return I would be happier that he left

Hokiesox
12-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by soxrme

He may be ours, but there's no way we can resign him at the end of the season. We may as well as get something for him now.

hold2dibber
12-15-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
He may be ours, but there's no way we can resign him at the end of the season. We may as well as get something for him now.

Why is there no way the Sox can resign him at the end of the season?

Maggliosfan09
12-15-2003, 04:21 PM
yeah just because his contract is up doesn't mean he'll leave. Maybe he wants to stay around here. Put yourself in his shoes would u really want to uproot your family and move if you were happy where you were?

WinningUgly!
12-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
I agree they should keep Maggs(money not withstanding), BUT the original trade of Baines was a Great deal for the Sox by Himes. They got Wilson Alvarez who helped the 1993 Sox win the AL West and he tossed a complete game win in Tor in game 3 of the ALCS which gave the Sox a chance to pull that series out(they did'nt,but they were at least back in it after losing the first 2 games at home).If you hate Sosa(you likely do),or not,,getting him at the time was good as well and they used him to get George Bell(had a good year in 1992).They also re-acquired Scot Fletcher who played well. That was a deal the Sox got the better of from Texas.

Wasn't Fred Manrique the other player the Sox sent to Texas in this deal? The Sox never recovered from that loss!

TommyJohn
12-16-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33

Perhaps the Alvarez part was good for the Sox, but I don't see
how the George Bell end of the deal was good in any way, shape,
or form. The 1992 Sox went 86-76 and came in 3rd, which they
could've done without him. In 1993 he was a complete non-factor
with his .220 BA and his mouth got him benched for the playoffs.