PDA

View Full Version : Ordonez deal stuck on hold?

dougs78
12-15-2003, 06:38 AM
from Teddy Greenstein

So why does Sox general manager Ken Williams still view the trade as a long shot? Because sources say Williams is asking for a starting pitcher, a reliever, two prospects and enough payroll relief to sign an adequate replacement, perhaps Juan Gonzalez or Reggie Sanders. (Williams met Sunday with Gonzalez's agent, Alan Nero.)

The Dodgers, meanwhile, appear willing to trade lefty Odalis Perez—or right-hander Freddy Garcia, assuming they acquire him from Seattle—but are reluctant to part with right-handed setup man Guillermo Mota (1.97 ERA in '03) or any of their top prospects

Linkage (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031214soxordonezwintermeetings,1,2681616.story?col l=cs-home-headlines)

Sounds like since we are hearing about it, nothing will likely get done.

It sounds like the deal would a decent one. Say Perez, Mota, two prospects and then sign Sanders or Gonzalez.

Two questions:
1. If we do trade Maggs, would you rather get a FA to replace him or just go with Reed or Borchard.

2. Do you think this would be a good deal?

dougs78
12-15-2003, 06:47 AM
The prospective deal could land the Sox as many as five players in return for Ordonez, with left-handed starter Odalis Perez and Mota two of those players. The Sox likely will hold out for at least two of the Dodgers' top four prospects: pitchers Edwin Jackson and Greg Miller, first baseman James Loney and outfielder Franklin Gutierrez.

LInk (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox15.html)

Wow, I can now see why the Dodgers turned it down. Jackson looks to be quite the talent and Mota and Perez would certainly help next year. I think we are in a good position because Kenny does not seem to be willing to trade for the sake of trading.

ondafarm
12-15-2003, 06:53 AM
I think trading Mags, who we probably lose next year anyways to FA, for Perez and two prospects sounds like a heck of a deal, let alone if we could get Mota as well. I doubt the Dodgers would part with Mota because of what he does for Gagne though.

dougs78
12-15-2003, 07:15 AM
One other question:

How does the deal the Cards got for JD Drew affect this trade or what we could reasonably demand for Maggs on this market?

OEO Magglio
12-15-2003, 07:45 AM
If we can somehow land Perez, Mota, and Jackson, I would do that deal in a second, that would be a nice deal to have, but probably won't happen.

duke of dorwood
12-15-2003, 08:06 AM
:KW

They haven't seen my 3 for 1 move yet

Win1ForMe
12-15-2003, 09:53 AM
I've been a big opponent of trading Magglio but if Kenny can get Perez, Jackson, and another prospect I probably wouldn't be too disappointed. I wouldn't even try to get Mota in fear of breaking the deal (we can get Weathers for Koch to fill our set up void).

doublem23
12-15-2003, 11:43 AM
Well, I'm glad to see that Kenny has made the asking price for Ordonez very high, so at least he gets it. A starter, reliever, some prospects, and payroll to pay for a replacement would be a pretty damn good, move, IMO. That would definitely alleviate the sting of losing Maggs.

joecrede
12-15-2003, 11:52 AM
If they sign Ponson and get Perez as part of a trade for Maggs, I'd use Perez as an incentive for another team to take Koch (the Mets?) in order to get further salary relief.

Paying Perez $4-5M is too much to be a 4th/5th starter when there are holes to fill.

jeremyb1
12-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Wow. Landing those proposed players would be outstanding. If we could land just Mota or Jackson/Miller with perez thrown in I think that'd be an outstanding deal for us. However, it sounds somewhat doubtful that those players would be included. Its a shame because we could really use Mota in the pen. I applaud KW for recognizing Mota's ability and our weak bullpen.