PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this week's Reader? Article by Hoekstra...

DrCrawdad
12-14-2003, 10:10 PM
If you can get ahold of this week's Reader, there is a
sympathetic article on Sox fans from none other than
Dave Hoekstra. Yes, the same Dave Hoekstra who got
angry e-mail mail for taking a swipe at Sox fans earlier this year.
He must have not realized how much crap we had to listen to
this year, and he probably felt bad. He always seemed like a
decent writer, so he probably didn't mean it.

I'd post a link to the article if I could find one, but the
Reader doesn't usually put these things online.

Here's hoping for a more tolerable 2004. We're going to need
all the sympathy we can get next year.

DrCrawdad
12-14-2003, 11:27 PM
I'd really hope that someone here at WSI has the Reader in question and can post the article.

TornLabrum
12-15-2003, 12:00 AM
You can thank me for the article being there. When Hoekstra published his little anti-Sox-fan joke in the Sun-Times, I wrote him an email and cited the Windy City Sox Fans as being pretty typical of Sox fans in general. I invited him to attend our holiday party that was held last Saturday and he and a photographer attended.

I would assume that the majority of fan interviews came from people he interviewed at the party.

DrCrawdad
12-15-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
You can thank me for the article being there. When Hoekstra published his little anti-Sox-fan joke in the Sun-Times, I wrote him an email and cited the Windy City Sox Fans as being pretty typical of Sox fans in general. I invited him to attend our holiday party that was held last Saturday and he and a photographer attended.

I would assume that the majority of fan interviews came from people he interviewed at the party.

Cool.

Alright some get the article, scan/OCR and then post it already!

npdempse
12-15-2003, 02:55 PM
I have the Reader, but not the time/facilities to scan it up.
Basically just a writeup of the Windy City Sox Fans dinner at Serese's (sp?). Long quote from Hal Vickery. Pics of Melton, Minoso, and Pierce serving themselves salad and sausage family style. Talks about Sox fans as long-suffering, and how they've gotten a bad rap. And how they're all old and the fanbase is dying. Pretty depressing stuff, IMO.

God, I hope the development around IIT gives that neighborhood a big enough boost to move some young folks in to be a new generation of White Sox fans.

Lip Man 1
12-15-2003, 10:43 PM
God, I hope the development around IIT gives that neighborhood a big enough boost to move some young folks in to be a new generation of White Sox fans.

A new owner would do a lot more, a lot sooner.

Lip

hose
12-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

That's good to hear Hal.

I pictured Hangar having Hoekstra in a headlock in order to get a favorable article. :)

TornLabrum
12-15-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by hose
That's good to hear Hal.

I pictured Hangar having Hoekstra in a headlock in order to get a favorable article. :)

Well, you know the old expression, "You can catch more flies with bull**** than you can with vinegar." Or something like that.

woodenleg
12-16-2003, 10:24 AM
Ha ha - I had a feeling that some WSI person was behind it!

PS - it's not on the Reader web page.

I may have time to scan it later this week, but I don't know what the copyright issues are.

You guys would like it.