PDA

View Full Version : It's Official - Tony G. to Royals

SaltyPretzel
12-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031214sox,1,4116400.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

duke of dorwood
12-14-2003, 08:24 PM
At least they are doing SOMETHING. That's a nice option for a manager that gets a lot from players.

soxfan26
12-14-2003, 08:25 PM
Anyone know what the price tag for two years was?

I'm sure it was way out of our price range, right JR?

SoxxoS
12-14-2003, 08:27 PM
I will GUARANTEE he gets a game winning hit against us at sometime next year.

Hangar18
12-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Graffanino's Unheralded Importance to the White Sox
and the Roles He played WILL COME BACK TO HAUNT THE
WHITE SOX NEXT SEASON. Book It. 12/14/03

RichH55
12-14-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
At least they are doing SOMETHING. That's a nice option for a manager that gets a lot from players.

He had better get more blood from a Turnip as well....The bullpen has been upgraded, but Mcdougal is pretty far from being a Grade A closer...once Beltran is inevitably moved, that lineup won't scare anyone either......for some reason I can't even think of their 2B, and that starting rotation is counting on the ghost of Kevin Appier walking through that door

RichH55
12-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Graffanino's Unheralded Importance to the White Sox
and the Roles He played WILL COME BACK TO HAUNT THE
WHITE SOX NEXT SEASON. Book It. 12/14/03

Does this mean its akin to losing Sean Lowe and Herbert Perry in the great scheme of things?

LuvSox
12-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Does this mean its akin to losing Sean Lowe and Herbert Perry in the great scheme of things?

Well put.

cornball
12-14-2003, 08:52 PM
He had better get more blood from a Turnip as well....The bullpen has been upgraded, but Mcdougal is pretty far from being a Grade A closer...once Beltran is inevitably moved, that lineup won't scare anyone either......for some reason I can't even think of their 2B, and that starting rotation is counting on the ghost of Kevin Appier walking through that door

The same can be said of the Sox, regarding the pen, 2b and the rotation right now.

JRIG
12-14-2003, 08:53 PM
Why should we worry about the Royals since they've "only" aquired or re-signed Kevin Appier, Brian Anderson, Curt Leskanic, Scott Sullivan, Matt Stairs, Joe Randa, Jason Grimsley, Benito Santiago, and now Graffanino. And they already have Beltran and Sweeney, Berroa, and Darrell May.

Everyone claiming the Royals have no clue better wake up. Right now Allard Baird is running circles around KW.

dickallen15
12-14-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Why should we worry about the Royals since they've "only" aquired or re-signed Kevin Appier, Brian Anderson, Curt Leskanic, Scott Sullivan, Matt Stairs, Joe Randa, Jason Grimsley, Benito Santiago, and now Graffanino. And they already have Beltran and Sweeney, Berroa, and Darrell May.

Everyone claiming the Royals have no clue better wake up. Right now Allard Baird is running circles around KW.

This list of players is not too impressive to me.

TornLabrum
12-14-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15

And ours is?

JRIG
12-14-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15

It's impressive if you're trying to work under the constaints of a budget, like KC and we are trying to. With the possible exception of Santiago, every one of those players will be a positive contributing factor on some level next season.

The same can't be said for Juan Uribe. Or Willie Harris. Or Aaron Rowand.

jamteh
12-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Why couldn't Graf be our starting second basemen? Graf's not a star by any means, but he's much more consistent than Willie Harris who might hit .203 if he's lucky.

Daver
12-14-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by jamteh
Why couldn't Graf be our starting second basemen? Graf's not a star by any means, but he's much more consistent than Willie Harris who might hit .203 if he's lucky.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

LuvSox
12-14-2003, 09:27 PM
2.2mill over 2 years for Crappanino? We are all in the wrong business!!!!!!

RedPinStripes
12-14-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox

He would have fit nice at 2b over Willie Harris.

LuvSox
12-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
He would have fit nice at 2b over Willie Harris.

You have to admit, that's a lot of money for a 'third string at best'.

MHOUSE
12-14-2003, 09:49 PM
$1.1 million per for a solid backup at several positions and an all-around good clubhouse guy and teammate? I'd sign him to this contract in a second.

That list of players the Royals have acquired might not produce a single allstar. However, in this crap division, a solid group of role players can do wonders. Was anyone too impressed by the 2002 Angels and their list of players? No. They did something though, like a world series.

LuvSox
12-14-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
$1.1 million per for a solid backup at several positions and an all-around good clubhouse guy and teammate? I'd sign him to this contract in a second.

You're crappin' me. That much for a Tony G type. No way in hell.

duke of dorwood
12-14-2003, 09:52 PM
You have to admit, that's a lot of money for a 'third string at best'.

If he's a third string player, what is Willie Harris?

Scotty347
12-14-2003, 09:57 PM
You're crappin' me. That much for a Tony G type. No way in hell.

Good riddance. He got a couple big hits for us, but he was a butcher out there on defense. It felt like he booted a ball every time he got a start in the infield. I won't miss him.

dickallen15
12-14-2003, 10:00 PM
He had 23 RBI. I think there are just as good if not better options out there.

Tragg
12-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Lamenting the loss of TG is almost as silly (but not quite) as lamenting the loss of Jiminez - he won't make any difference for either team.

LASOXFAN
12-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
If he's a third string player, what is Willie Harris?

give wee willie a chance before you bash him. In his limited opportunities he showed great hustle and intensity. I'm excited to watch him play everyday next year. I also believe that Konerko will rebound and have a solid year for whoever he plays for. Of course, I could be high and you wouldn't know it.

RichH55
12-14-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by JRIG

Damn they already had THE Darrell May? Well I stand corrected

LoveTheSox
12-14-2003, 11:36 PM
I'm going to miss Tony G. While I understand that he wasn't the best player out there (not even close), he was one of my favorites. I always thought he played hard when given a shot, and he seemed like a good guy.

Good luck in KC Tony G...you will be missed. :whiner:

JRIG
12-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Damn they already had THE Darrell May? Well I stand corrected

May allowed 3 ER or less in 21 of his 32 starts last year.

Everyone plays a part...

Hangar18
12-15-2003, 07:10 AM

Wait a second.....Graffanino is getting 1.1 Mil a season?
to Play a number of positions in the infield? That is a small
price to pay for a role player ...... I thought it was something
like 5 mil a season or something. Losing Graf is going to Haunt
us this year. Book It.