PDA

View Full Version : Proof Ozzie Knows More Than Detractors Think?

joecrede
12-14-2003, 01:53 PM
From Today's Southtown: (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/141sd3.htm)

Guillen said he thinks both he and Thomas have matured and will work well together. And the new Sox skipper said that if has a problem with the Big Hurt, he will confront Thomas and not take matters to the media. Guillen felt it was the "wrong way" to do things when Paul Konerko publicly criticized Thomas two years ago.

Guillen also plans to have Thomas play more first base because he feels Thomas is a better hitter when he plays in the field rather than bats as a designated hitter.

"I want him at first base so I don't have to listen to him (complaining) and worrying on the bench," Guillen joked. "I don't have time when he makes an out to listen to him making excuses around me. I think he's ready to play first base. He won the MVP playing first base. He will play first base more than you think."

It took all of two months during the offseason for Ozzie to become a better manager than Manuel.

Interesting coment on Konerko.

RedPinStripes
12-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Well Ozzie's doing a real good job of pissing players off in the press instead of confronting them.

ondafarm
12-14-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
[BIt took all of two months during the offseason for Ozzie to become a better manager than Manuel. [/B]

Here, here !!

StepsInSC
12-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Wait a sec...

He says he will confront Thomas and not go to the media, then goes on to say he'll play first base so he won't have to hear him whine and complain?

Isn't that contradicting what he had just said?

RichH55
12-14-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Wait a sec...

He says he will confront Thomas and not go to the media, then goes on to say he'll play first base so he won't have to hear him whine and complain?

And isnt it about the 4th time he's bashed Thomas in the media...either meaning he's a hypocrite, or the most unmedia savy person since Frank Thomas:)

joecrede
12-14-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Wait a sec...

... Guillen joked, the article added.

The important thing is he realizes the difference between the hitter Frank is when he plays first base and when he DH's. I know it's obvious to most, but it's reason to celebrate when a White Sox manager understands it. :gulp:

As far as players he's called out in the media, my count is four.

Frank
Maggs (moving runners along.)
Harris (a disgrace to his number 13.)
Konerko (wrong way of handling Thomas.)

He's not calling out just Thomas. I guess that's a good thing. :D:

StepsInSC
12-14-2003, 02:51 PM

The important thing is he realizes the difference between the hitter Frank is when he plays first base and when he DH's. I know it's obvious to most, but it's reason to celebrate when a White Sox manager understands it. :gulp:

Frank

Oooookay thanks I hadn't actually read the article, hehe.

Deadguy
12-14-2003, 03:20 PM
From Today's Southtown: (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/141sd3.htm)

It took all of two months during the offseason for Ozzie to become a better manager than Manuel.

Interesting coment on Konerko.

Great stuff. Thomas has already indicated that he wants to play 140 games in the field next season, so I hope he comes to camp in shape, ready to play.

It'd be nice to unload Konerko as well, and then get a 1-2 million dollar replacement at DH, so come take him B-More or LA!

RedPinStripes
12-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Great stuff. Thomas has already indicated that he wants to play 140 games in the field next season, so I hope he comes to camp in shape, ready to play.

It'd be nice to unload Konerko as well, and then get a 1-2 million dollar replacement at DH, so come take him B-More or LA!

Thomas has been real quiet this off season. watch him show up as a monster

jeremyb1
12-14-2003, 06:42 PM

Frank

I don't think he's called out Maggs or Frank. With the comments about Maggs and Frank moving runners along he was talking hypothetically about everyone on the team including the team's best players (Maggs and Frank) moving runners along. He didn't state or imply that they have not effectively moved runners, simply that the team's best hitters need to be able to move along players just like everyone else.

Again, as far as Frank goes, Ozzie never accused Frank of anything. He mentioned what he had heard from others about Frank and said that that supposed behavior would not be acceptable but at no point did he himself accuse Frank of doing anything wrong. He clarified that at the winter meetings saying he's only going by what he's heard and he hopes its not true.

lowesox
12-14-2003, 06:55 PM
I for one like a manager who isn't afraid to get under the skin of his players (especially his star players). After all, wasn't that the issue for just about everyone at WSI with Manuel? That he was to relaxed? That the players played corpse ball?

Something tells me with Ozzie things will be different. IF I had to make a prediction I'd guess that Ozzie will make some questionable strategically (handling pitchers, lineups...) but the players will always come ready to win.