PDA

View Full Version : Some good stuff from Ozzie

Jjav829
12-14-2003, 09:49 AM
Ok, so since we have one ripping on Ozzie for his Cubs comments, lets start one for the recent stuff in Teddy Greenstein's column. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031213sox,1,3854255.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Some interesting stuff in that he tries to patch up his relationship with Ozzie somewhat, though he may very well piss him off with his other comments whether he meant to or not. He says he plans to use Maggs as our #3 hitter. But some of his other comments in regards to Frank seem good.

"He talked to him about playing first base and getting in shape," Guillen said. "Frank is excited about having me on board. I will talk to him before spring training. I thought I'd see him in Las Vegas when we had the [organizational] meetings there, but I never had the chance. I don't know if he was out of town."

Then the 40-year-old Guillen said of the 35-year-old Thomas: "To me, it's a privilege to have a kid like that in the lineup."

I kinda find it hard to believe that Frank is excited about having Ozzie on board, but who knows.

"I think a lot people in Chicago misunderstood what I was saying about Frank," he said. "I haven't seen Frank in six years and I cannot judge Frank.

"But the things I've heard the last two years are things I don't want to hear. It's something I worry about. Frank is our leader. I want Frank to be our leader all around. I don't want Frank to be a leader just on the field. We have a young team and a lot of kids are going to look up to Frank. So am I, and so are my coaches. I don't expect to have any problems with him, but I want Frank to play the game the right way.

"I don't want any selfish [players] and I don't want 'me, me, me.' I want everybody together. I want him to show up on time, I want him to respect his teammates, respect himself and have fun. I want him to be comfortable and have an MVP year."

And then a little Ozzie humor....

After Rockies manager Clint Hurdle and the Twins' Ron Gardenhire told him being a big-league manager was "the best job in baseball," Guillen said: "If this is the best job in baseball, then why do you guys get gray hair and fat so quickly?"

TornLabrum
12-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Ok, so since we have one ripping on Ozzie for his Cubs comments, lets start one for the recent stuff in Teddy Greenstein's column. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031213sox,1,3854255.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Some interesting stuff in that he tries to patch up his relationship with Ozzie somewhat, though he may very well piss him off with his other comments whether he meant to or not. He says he plans to use Maggs as our #3 hitter. But some of his other comments in regards to Frank seem good.

Pretty much what I said he meant in my column a few weeks ago.

Realist
12-14-2003, 11:43 AM
I am one of the people that was extremely disappointed when Ozzie was named manager instead of Gaston, but this has gone a long way to put my mind at ease. Maybe Ozzie has what it takes.

Who was it that said, "In any clubhouse there's 10 guys that love ya, 10 guys that hate ya, and 10 guys that are undecided. Your job as manager is to keep the 10 undecided guys away from the 10 that hate ya"?

RKMeibalane
12-14-2003, 12:37 PM
He's planning to use Maggs as the number three hitter?

:ozzie:

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

oldcomiskey
12-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Realist
I am one of the people that was extremely disappointed when Ozzie was named manager instead of Gaston, but this has gone a long way to put my mind at ease. Maybe Ozzie has what it takes.

Who was it that said, "In any clubhouse there's 10 guys that love ya, 10 guys that hate ya, and 10 guys that are undecided. Your job as manager is to keep the 10 undecided guys away from the 10 that hate ya"?
Billy Martin always said his job was simple--to keep the 10 that hated him away from from the 10 who werent sure