PDA

View Full Version : How far is Gammons head up his ass?


doublem23
12-14-2003, 04:46 AM
"Keith Foulke is the kind of closer that can pitch one or two innings."

:?:

:boston
A-Rod, Roger, Pudge, Vlad, and Maddux all coming to Boston.

TornLabrum
12-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
"Keith Foulke is the kind of closer that can pitch one or two innings."

He was obviously watching all the games we missed.

RedPinStripes
12-14-2003, 09:31 AM
LOL! I think i posted it somewhere else, but that monster in LF will not be Foulke's friend. Foulke gives up a lot of long fly balls for outs. A lot of those flyouts are now going to be off or over the monster.

Gammons is strictly entertainment to me . Never good insight.

WinningUgly!
12-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
"Keith Foulke is the kind of closer that can pitch one or two innings."
:boston


Billy Koch can also pitch one or two innings.. It all depends on if you want to lose by 5 or 10 runs.

MarkEdward
12-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
"Keith Foulke is the kind of closer that can pitch one or two innings."

:?:


Um...

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B06090SFN1997.htm
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B06030TOR1999.htm
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B09080ANA1999.htm
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07050SFN1997.htm
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B06240CHA1999.htm
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B04140CHA2000.htm

Just a sample of multi-inning games pitched by Foulke. He's definitely capable of pitching multiple innings per game. It's not his fault that the Sox didn't use him that way.

MHOUSE
12-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Foulke can pitch more than one inning? HA! That's like saying Manuel can field the same lineup for more than one game.

bc2k
12-14-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
"Keith Foulke is the kind of closer that can pitch one or two innings."

:?:

:boston
A-Rod, Roger, Pudge, Vlad, and Maddux all coming to Boston.

How 'bout Gammons's comment saying something like, "You can bring Foulke in for the 7th, and have someone else relieve him in the tenth if the game's still tied." -***

Mark Edward, those 2 inning performances from Foulke all preceded year 2000, except one where the final score was 9-4. He pitched his second inning (and maybe his first inning too) with a 5 run lead.

ME, correct me if I'm wrong, but Foulke didn't take the closers role until year 2000, right? And that's what Gammons was commending Foulke on - being a closer that can go 2 innings when needed.

nasox
12-14-2003, 02:57 PM
ask him how good it smells. :D:

CubKilla
12-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
LOL! I think i posted it somewhere else, but that monster in LF will not be Foulke's friend. Foulke gives up a lot of long fly balls for outs. A lot of those flyouts are now going to be off or over the monster.

If I'm the Red Sox GM, I take my chances with a Foulke over..... say..... A BOTCH! :D:

RedPinStripes
12-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
If I'm the Red Sox GM, I take my chances with a Foulke over..... say..... A BOTCH! :D:

Yeah yeah yeah.

doublem23
12-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

ME, correct me if I'm wrong, but Foulke didn't take the closers role until year 2000, right? And that's what Gammons was commending Foulke on - being a closer that can go 2 innings when needed.

True.. Foulke took over the role during the '00 season (early, I believe). Howry was still pegged to be the door slammer at the start of the year.

jeremyb1
12-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
How 'bout Gammons's comment saying something like, "You can bring Foulke in for the 7th, and have someone else relieve him in the tenth if the game's still tied." -***

Mark Edward, those 2 inning performances from Foulke all preceded year 2000, except one where the final score was 9-4. He pitched his second inning (and maybe his first inning too) with a 5 run lead.

ME, correct me if I'm wrong, but Foulke didn't take the closers role until year 2000, right? And that's what Gammons was commending Foulke on - being a closer that can go 2 innings when needed.

Last season Foulke pitched at least two innings in 11 of his 72 appearances with the A's. His numbers improved as he threw more pitches.

MarkEdward
12-14-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

Mark Edward, those 2 inning performances from Foulke all preceded year 2000, except one where the final score was 9-4. He pitched his second inning (and maybe his first inning too) with a 5 run lead.


Well, here are some more examples:
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B05140CHA2000.htm
- Foulke came in in the eighth with the Sox up one.
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B09220CHA2001.htm
- Foulke came in in the ninth with the game tied.
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B06160CHN2002.htm
- Foulke came in in the fourth, with the Sox down one, and pitched 2.2 scoreless innings.
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B04290CHA2001.htm
- Foulke came in in the ninth, with the score tied, pitched two innings, surrendering no runs.

I haven't even looked at 2003. Foulke's had his share of bad multi-inning games, but he's certainly able to pitch well in that type of situation.

bc2k
12-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1


Last season Foulke pitched at least two innings in 11 of his 72 appearances with the A's. His numbers improved as he threw more pitches.


Originally posted by MarkEdward
Foulke's had his share of bad multi-inning games, but he's certainly able to pitch well in that type of situation.

Good information that's obviously news to me.

:gulp:

kruk's other nut
12-15-2003, 12:16 AM
at the all star game, Gammons was wandering the concourse. My drunken brother got right in his face and exclaimed, "GAMMONS, YOU SUCK!" this was in regard to gammons' annointing of bobby valentine as the successor to ghandi, and his general state of non-sobriety(he teaches high school history) (no, not the history of highy schools, but your history, dammit)So, althogh he may be a drunkard, please respect him.