PDA

View Full Version : Rogers with Sox info

Win1ForMe
12-14-2003, 12:31 AM
Good to see Phil back from the Cubs-ARod fantasy land. He's got some advice for Kenny...

But if you ask me, he would have a better chance to win next year if he dealt Lee and kept Magglio Ordonez, even if he is going to leave as a free agent after the season. It appears Williams has concluded his best chance to win is to spread Ordonez's $14 million salary around to four or five players—a couple of pitchers from a trade and two or three free-agent bargains.

According to sources, he asked Seattle for 24-year-old right-hander Rafael Soriano, an elite prospect, along with Freddy Garcia. That's exactly the kind of deal he needs to pull off, but he is running out of potential takers who can handle an Ordonez-sized salary—perhaps Anaheim, Baltimore or the Mets, and that's about it.

LINK (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-031213rogers,1,7122971.column?coll=cs-columnists)

dougs78
12-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Wow. I Love Maggs, but getting Soriano along with Garcia would be beautiful. He is going to be a stud and is cheap for another 4 years or so. I can't imagine why the M's would have any interest in giving away Soriano just to rid themselves of Garcia. I thought Soriano was supposed to be his replacement if he was moved.

But who knows. I for one though would love to see those two guys on our staff.

lowesox
12-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I can't imagine why the M's would have any interest in giving away Soriano just to rid themselves of Garcia.

Um... under this scenario they wouldn't just be unloading a pitcher, they'd be getting one of the best players in the game. I think this trade would be nice, but by no means do I see it as being one-sided. Actually, this would be a nice trade for both teams.

By the way, kudos to Rogers for a great article. KW deserves the roughing up.

dougs78
12-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Um... under this scenario they wouldn't just be unloading a pitcher, they'd be getting one of the best players in the game.

I understand this. But my point was that they consider Soriano to be one of the main reasons why they can trade or non-tender Garcia. By trading both they would be creating a hole they'd have to fill otherwise. Not saying they wouldn't do it, because as you point out they'd be getting a very good player. But as far as their pitching staff is concerned, it would create some problems.