PDA

View Full Version : Drew to the Braves?

Jjav829
12-13-2003, 02:20 PM
According to MLB Radio, the Braves will announced the trade of Ray King and Jason Marquis to the Cardinals for JD Drew. If so, cross off the Braves as a possible suitor for Maggs.

Paulwny
12-13-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
According to MLB Radio, the Braves will announced the trade of Ray King and Jason Marquis to the Cardinals for JD Drew. If so, cross off the Braves as a possible suitor for Maggs.

AP confirmes this trade http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbn-braves-cardinals-trade,0,5557258.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines

Jjav829
12-13-2003, 03:03 PM
They gave up Wainwright in the deal! The Braves just got screwed! Marrero is a decent player. Drew is always hurt. And in return they gave up their best pitching prospect in Wainwright and a decent pitcher with some potential in Marquis. Wow.

MHOUSE
12-13-2003, 03:26 PM
Marquis is a pretty good young talent and Ray King is a decently reliable reliever. If they did give up a good prospect then they got hosed. But Atlanta needed outfield help w/out Sheff and the Cardinals needed any kind of pitching real bad so it seems like an even exchange. Of course the minor league PTBNL is always risky.

Jjav829
12-13-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Marquis is a pretty good young talent and Ray King is a decently reliable reliever. If they did give up a good prospect then they got hosed. But Atlanta needed outfield help w/out Sheff and the Cardinals needed any kind of pitching real bad so it seems like an even exchange. Of course the minor league PTBNL is always risky.

It isn't a minor league PTBNL. It is Adam Wainwright. The #1 prospect in all of baseball.

MHOUSE
12-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
It isn't a minor league PTBNL. It is Adam Wainwright. The #1 prospect in all of baseball.

I've never heard of him. I've always thought J.D. Drew was overrated with all of his injury problems, etc. If they traded THEir number one prospect for him then they must think he can replace Sheffield? I don't know about that. The trade seemed pretty even with two OF for two pitchers.

Marquis, a 25-year-old right-hander: 0-0 with a 5.53 ERA in two starts and 19 relief appearances.

King, a 29-year-old left-hander: 3-4 with a 3.51 ERA in 80 relief appearances.

Wainwright, a 22-year-old righty: 10-8 with a 3.37 ERA in 27 starts for Double-A Greenville last season.

DSpivack
12-13-2003, 04:00 PM
The Cards are my 2nd fave team.

I'm more or less happy with this deal.

JJAustin69
12-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Cardinals trying to keep up in the NL Central pitching war and this was a good move for them. As for the Braves, maybe their pitching success has spoiled them into thinking it grows on trees.

SouthSideHitman
12-13-2003, 05:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1685436

The Cards have finally unloaded JD Drew on the Bravos which I think is good news for the Sox. Even though LA got Encarnacion, I don't think that that's going to be enough offense for them like the kind PK could provide and I had heard that Drew was their other major option. Drew being off the market just helps the Sox.

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-13-2003, 05:29 PM
who knows, maybe drew will finally live up to his potential and stay healthy. otherwise, philly is taking that division

MarkEdward
12-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Initial thoughts: good trade for both teams. The Braves needed someone to replace Sheffield's bat. J.D. Drew is no Gary Sheffield, but he should be an adequate replacement (if he's able to stay healthy). Marrero can play every outfield position plus catcher and first base, making him a nifty little utility guy. His bat is worthless, though, unless the Braves put him at catcher.

Nice pick-ups for the Cardinals too. Wainwright is a stud, though I wouldn't call him the best pitching prospect in baseball (offhand, I'd probably go with Kazmir or Hamels). Marquis should be a decent fourth or fifth starter, and Ray King will be a decent addition to the pen.

With Drew leaving, however, the Cardinals still need another hitter. Right now, they have no useful options at catcher, first base, second base, or right field.

RichH55
12-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Initial thoughts: good trade for both teams. The Braves needed someone to replace Sheffield's bat. J.D. Drew is no Gary Sheffield, but he should be an adequate replacement (if he's able to stay healthy). Marrero can play every outfield position plus catcher and first base, making him a nifty little utility guy. His bat is worthless, though, unless the Braves put him at catcher.

Nice pick-ups for the Cardinals too. Wainwright is a stud, though I wouldn't call him the best pitching prospect in baseball (offhand, I'd probably go with Kazmir or Hamels). Marquis should be a decent fourth or fifth starter, and Ray King will be a decent addition to the pen.

With Drew leaving, however, the Cardinals still need another hitter. Right now, they have no useful options at catcher, first base, second base, or right field.

I can't see Eli not playing C, unless that ankle isnt all the way back(but if Kendall can do it, Eli probably can as well)

The NL Central is going to be fun to watch...AL Central too, hell AL West and East for that matter

I think the parity within divisions makes things exciting--> Sure in say KC was in the AL East, why even bother watching? But you can make a strong case for KC, Minnesota, or the Sox for the Central now

Sure teams like the Pirates and Tigers are done before the opening bell, but you do have to be at least a .400 team before you can sell hope, just as a matter of principle

bestkosher
12-13-2003, 11:04 PM
with the Cards losing their first baseman and needing some good power they could take on paulys salary and we can possibly get a couple of minor leaguers for him

Jjav829
12-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
with the Cards losing their first baseman and needing some good power they could take on paulys salary and we can possibly get a couple of minor leaguers for him

The Cardinals just got rid of one overpaid first baseman whose contract they had to eat most of. No way are they going to want another one. The Cardinals figure to look to trade for a left fielder (ie Jacque Jones) and move Pujols to first. Unless they can find a good cheap first baseman(Im not sure that Steve Cox is the answer), they'll use Pujols at first. No way do they want PK. They'd be more interested in pitching.