PDA

View Full Version : Sox "desperate" for Garcia?

Jjav829
12-13-2003, 12:56 PM
It's really beginning to sound like Garcia may end up with the Sox. First this from Jayson Stark's Rumblings and Grumblings:

The White Sox have also been trying to find a way to reel in Perez. But there were indications Friday they had turned their attention to Seattle and Freddy Garcia. At the moment, though, the Mariners are trying to figure out whether they can sign Miguel Tejada. If they can, their aim in trading Garcia would be essentially to clear money for Tejada. If they can't, they could either keep Garcia or take back some high-priced hitter in a trade for him.

Stark R&G (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1685088)
And this from a source in the Seattle Times:

But until they know if they can land Tejada, it is difficult for them to advance potential trade talks with Freddy Garcia. One baseball source said yesterday that the Chicago White Sox are "desperate" and an increasingly viable suitor for Garcia, having lost out on starter Bartolo Colon to Anaheim. But teams also know that the Mariners may not tender Garcia a contract by Dec. 20, which would make him a free agent.

Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2001813971_winter13.html)

Interesting stuff. But does KW wait it out to see if Garcia may be non-tendered? Seems like we'll have to wait for Tejada to sign before something happens with Garcia.

SoxxoS
12-13-2003, 12:57 PM
I don't understand why everyone is so down on Garcia. He has had one bad year. Is this the same Garcia that started the All-Star game 2 years ago? Yeah, I thought so.

Jjav829
12-13-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I don't understand why everyone is so down on Garcia. He has had one bad year. Is this the same Garcia that started the All-Star game 2 years ago? Yeah, I thought so.

I'm not down on Garcia. I think he would be a nice addition as long as his drinking problems can be curbed. The question is who we would trade for him. I would like to get Randy Winn in return as well if possible. He would be a better option in center than what we have now, and would provide us with a leadoff hitter which we currently lack.

lowesox
12-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Interesting stuff. But does KW wait it out to see if Garcia may be non-tendered? Seems like we'll have to wait for Tejada to sign before something happens with Garcia. [/B]

I'm guessing that Kenny wants to do a salary for a salary trade here. So I think it would be bad if the M's got Tejada or Non-tendered him, because then the Sox would have to take on 7-8 million dollars of salary.

MarkEdward
12-13-2003, 01:30 PM

Well, I think many baseball folks perceive Freddy Garcia as a big head case, and that's probably his main problem.

Pitching-wise, he's been around league average the past two seasons. However, comparing 2002 to 2003, his strikeout rate was down, walk rate up, and home run rate also up. Take a look at his HR/9 since entering MLB:
'99: .8
'00: 1.2
'01: .6
'02: 1.2
'03: 1.4

Yikes. And he's been pitching in a pitcher's park.

santo=dorf
12-13-2003, 01:34 PM

He started the all-star game in 2001? The same game that was played in SEATTLE? The same year the Mariners won 116 games? Do you think people will be saying this about Esteban Loaiza in two years (assuming something goes horribly wrong?)

jeremyb1
12-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Well, I think many baseball folks perceive Freddy Garcia as a big head case, and that's probably his main problem.

Pitching-wise, he's been around league average the past two seasons. However, comparing 2002 to 2003, his strikeout rate was down, walk rate up, and home run rate also up. Take a look at his HR/9 since entering MLB:
'99: .8
'00: 1.2
'01: .6
'02: 1.2
'03: 1.4

Yikes. And he's been pitching in a pitcher's park.

Yeah, his tendency to give up extra base hits has been his big problem recently.

rmusacch
12-13-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
It's really beginning to sound like Garcia may end up with the Sox. First this from Jayson Stark's Rumblings and Grumblings:

Stark R&G (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1685088)
And this from a source in the Seattle Times:

Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2001813971_winter13.html)

Interesting stuff. But does KW wait it out to see if Garcia may be non-tendered? Seems like we'll have to wait for Tejada to sign before something happens with Garcia.

That is not good if the Mariners know the Sox are desperate. They will jack the asking price. I do not see why they would be desperate for Freddy Garcia. While I wouldn't mind him on the Sox, he is by no means greatness.

RichH55
12-13-2003, 05:49 PM

No hes not ...thats why he will be non-tendered or dealt

For his performance two years ago, does he get to start the count 0-1 automatically? Or does he actually have to go onto the field and prove he can do it?

cornball
12-13-2003, 08:43 PM
Who else will be non tendered and available after the 20th, I heard their will be alot of players. Anyone here who?

CubKilla
12-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
That is not good if the Mariners know the Sox are desperate. They will jack the asking price.

And they'll probably get the "asking price" and then some w/KW GM'ing the team.

Soxfest
12-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Oh boy when I see that Sox are desperate for Freddie I am an arm injury waiting to happen Garcia, I wonder what the hell is going on. If Mags gets traded for this idiot the masses will be hot.

dougs78
12-14-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Soxfest
Oh boy when I see that Sox are desperate for Freddie I am an arm injury waiting to happen Garcia, I wonder what the hell is going on. If Mags gets traded for this idiot the masses will be hot.

Maybe the masses would be, but it depends on what else we get. Sounds like the Soriano/Garcia deal is off the table now, but if we could get something like that I'd be all for it.