PDA

View Full Version : Foulke to Boston

PaulDrake
12-13-2003, 12:43 PM
I just turned on ESPN news and they are announcing that Foulke signed with the Bosox for 3 yr at 21M. If somebody else has this first than just erase or move my post as you see fit.

MHOUSE
12-13-2003, 12:45 PM
I think you win. I was just about to post this. Sounds like a good deal for a dang good pitcher. Can we talk about this without bringing up the infamous Foulke Trade?! Please!

Dadawg_77
12-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I think you win. I was just about to post this. Sounds like a good deal for a dang good pitcher. Can we talk about this without bringing up the infamous Foulke Trade?! Please!

No because this makes the deal look even worse.

RedPinStripes
12-13-2003, 12:47 PM
heh ............

Foulke's long fly balls for flyouts will now go off the monster, over it, or around pesky's pole. 7 mill, he isnt that damn good.

Jjav829
12-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Good signing for the Red Sox. Best pitching staff in MLB? If not, they are definitely right up there. If Mendoza can get back to his Yankee form, and if they keep Kim and he actually gives them a reason to have confidence in him, their pitching will be amazing. Scott Williamson anyone? With Foulke signing, word is Williamson will be a non tender (unless hes traded before then-JD Drew?). We know KW was "heart-broken" when he lost out on Williamson during the season. Does he make another run at him now? Or is he scared away by how bad Williamson was in the AL?

SoxxoS
12-13-2003, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't pay 7 million for a closer that isn't very good in the big games.

lowesox
12-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Guys, I think this gives us a new World Series favourite.

JRIG
12-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
heh ............

Foulke's long fly balls for flyouts will now go off the monster, over it, or around pesky's pole. 7 mill, he isnt that damn good.

And yet we'll be paying Koch $6.375 million this year for being nowhere near as good as Foulke is.

I agree, this makes the trade look even worse since for a mere $600,000 more the Sox could have had Foulke last year and this year instead of Koch, and the main reason for the trade, allegedly, is the Sox didn't want to meet Foulke's free agent demands.

owensmouth
12-13-2003, 02:03 PM
According to MLB radio, the Boston Red Sox are denying the deal (2 PM, Saturday). This will probably change, but right now, it's what Foulke says, not the Red Sox.

MHOUSE
12-13-2003, 02:29 PM
I'd take Williamson to help our depleted bullpen. He was lights out in the playoffs and he'd be worth $2-4 million per.

Paulwny
12-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
According to MLB radio, the Boston Red Sox are denying the deal (2 PM, Saturday). This will probably change, but right now, it's what Foulke says, not the Red Sox.

It changes by the hour, 3pm AP , Foulke a red sox

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bba-red-sox-foulke,0,7216275.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines

Brian26
12-13-2003, 03:50 PM
With Schilling, Pedro, and Lowe in front of him, Foulke might get 50+ saves next year.

seventytwo
12-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
With Schilling, Pedro, and Lowe in front of him, Foulke might get 50+ saves next year.

Yeah, now that he's gotten away from that horrible trio of Mulder, Zito and Hudson. :D:

Huisj
12-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Guys, I think this gives us a new World Series favourite.

Whoever gets to play boston in a close game in the playoffs?

foulke in fenway seems sort of scary.

Unregistered
12-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by seventytwo
Yeah, now that he's gotten away from that horrible trio of Mulder, Zito and Hudson. :D: Well you know Tim Hudson has to be happy that Foulke is gone (at least a little bit) after watching him blow 4 games he started in... :D:

deadfall78
12-13-2003, 04:15 PM
I swear alot of u sox fans cant make up ur mind. When Foulke got traded for Koch alot of u were so happy that he was out of here and singing Koch's praise. Now that Koch had a horrible season and Foulke had his best to date ur back on the Foulke is great wagon. Make up ur minds or stick by ur players. Guys it was 1 year there is no doubt in my mind that Koch will improve and Foulke wont do as well. This is what happens to closers unless ur Gagne or Smoltz.

Dadawg_77
12-13-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by deadfall78
I swear alot of u sox fans cant make up ur mind. When Foulke got traded for Koch alot of u were so happy that he was out of here and singing Koch's praise. Now that Koch had a horrible season and Foulke had his best to date ur back on the Foulke is great wagon. Make up ur minds or stick by ur players. Guys it was 1 year there is no doubt in my mind that Koch will improve and Foulke wont do as well. This is what happens to closers unless ur Gagne or Smoltz.

Actually it which crowd is louder. Trust me I as long with many others hated that trade since HSC posted it two or three days before it happened.

Foulke is most consisted reliever over the past five years.

PaulDrake
12-13-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Actually it which crowd is louder. Trust me I as long with many others hated that trade since HSC posted it two or three days before it happened.

Foulke is most consisted reliever over the past five years. Agreed. I never liked that trade from day one. I'm not holding my breath for Koch to return to form, which even at its best was not as good as Foulke.

duke of dorwood
12-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Maybe Oakland will take Koch back

CubKilla
12-13-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
Agreed. I never liked that trade from day one. I'm not holding my breath for Koch to return to form, which even at its best was not as good as Foulke.

Put me in that camp. We got Foulked on the Botch trade..... I knew it from Day 1.