PDA

View Full Version : Thomas looking for the exit?

JJAustin69
12-13-2003, 12:44 AM
Per Chicagosports.com. Potential clash with Ozzie just hype or real?

lowesox
12-13-2003, 01:50 AM
Hate to see a HOFer leave town, but trading Thomas now makes good sense. After all, after last season his trade value is as high as it'll ever be.

MisterB
12-13-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Hate to see a HOFer leave town, but trading Thomas now makes good sense. After all, after last season his trade value is as high as it'll ever be.

Except that we have no one to replace his production and, as the Ordonez situation is showing, the Sox aren't willing to pay the kind of money it would take to replace his production. If Thomas is dealt without bringing a legitimate star quality player in return, it does nothing but weaken an already shakey team.

RedPinStripes
12-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Notice how the Sox never hired Ozzie till Thomas was signed? If Frank had that much of a problem with Ozzie, I think he would have waited to see who got hired since Ozzie's name was coming up in the media for the job and I'm sure he heard from people within the organization it was a possibility.

Deadguy
12-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Notice how the Sox never hired Ozzie till Thomas was signed? If Frank had that much of a problem with Ozzie, I think he would have waited to see who got hired since Ozzie's name was coming up in the media for the job and I'm sure he heard from people within the organization it was a possibility.

He really didn't have the option of waiting to see who was hired.

He had to make a decision within 5 days after the completion of the World Series, which fell somewhere around October 30th, which is when Thomas excercised his option.

At that time, Cito Gaston was rumored to be the front runner for the position of manager, while Ozzie had reportedly just been given a complimentary interview at O'hare, and was supposedly not going to be seriously given a shot at being the Manager.

It wasn't until November 3rd that Ozzie was hired.

34 Inch Stick
12-13-2003, 02:31 PM
While I hated the hire I was willing to give Ozzie a break and let my opinion be based on actual work product. Driving Frank out of town would be a bad first project.

RedPinStripes
12-13-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
He really didn't have the option of waiting to see who was hired.

He had to make a decision within 5 days after the completion of the World Series, which fell somewhere around October 30th, which is when Thomas excercised his option.

At that time, Cito Gaston was rumored to be the front runner for the position of manager, while Ozzie had reportedly just been given a complimentary interview at O'hare, and was supposedly not going to be seriously given a shot at being the Manager.

It wasn't until November 3rd that Ozzie was hired.

That 5 day period was to go with the club option right? Wouldnt he have been a F/A?

RichH55
12-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
While I hated the hire I was willing to give Ozzie a break and let my opinion be based on actual work product. Driving Frank out of town would be a bad first project.

Agreed...and if "Small Ball" means hit like Ozzie did, then I will also be upset