PDA

View Full Version : Chairman Part of Sox Contingent at Winter Meetings

joecrede
12-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Bruce Levine said JR is making an extremely rare appearance at this year's winter meetings.

I ask all the Chairman watchers out there this. What can it possibly mean? :o:

mikef1331
12-12-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Bruce Levine said JR is making an extremely rare appearance at this year's winter meetings.

Maybe he's going to sell the team!

joecrede
12-12-2003, 04:49 PM
Maybe he's going to corner agents and lowball them without their players around?

Hangar18
12-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Wouldnt that be Excellent if he sold the Team?
Not to sound negative or wish Ill on someone, but JR is getting
on in years, I dont expect him to last much longer. There is some kind of Light at the end of this Tunnel that is the Reinsdorf Era (or is a train?) He cant live forever

Paulwny
12-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
on in years, I dont expect him to last much longer. There is some kind of Light at the end of this Tunnel that is the Reinsdorf Era (or is a train?) He cant live forever

JR will live until medical science is able to clone him. Because of his love for the sox and it's fans he'll never allow anyone else to rule the Sox Kingdom.

Hangar18
12-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Just heard that someone Saw Bud Selig Washing Jerrys
car over on Bourbon St

Randar68
12-12-2003, 04:59 PM

Wanna know what this means? It means Kenny wants to make some deals, but JR's scared, so he's there to make sure Kenny doesn't eat at a nice restaurant and blow his budget on some Creme Brule.

bestkosher
12-12-2003, 05:02 PM
I see Jr in the next few years becoming the head of baseball insted of selig, the two are freinds and Reinsdorf hasalways been a fron runner on the big issues.

joecrede
12-12-2003, 05:16 PM
I think his appearance shows he really cares about winning.

mikef1331
12-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

JR will never die, he's the Montgomery Burns of Baseball and KW is Mr. Smithers.

dickallen15
12-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Reinsdorf being at the meetings could mean good news to Sox fans. Usually, he doesn't interfere unless it involves massive contracts.

DonkeyKongerko
12-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by mikef1331
JR will never die, he's the Montgomery Burns of Baseball and KW is Mr. Smithers.

It's funny cuz it's true!

CHISOXFAN13
12-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Reinsdorf being at the meetings could mean good news to Sox fans. Usually, he doesn't interfere unless it involves massive contracts.

Levine also mentioned something about the Sox making a two-year offer to Ponson. The initial offer of years and money were not enough, according to Levine.

Hopefully KW can get something done here.

Lip Man 1
12-12-2003, 05:54 PM
If I were a betting man, I would bet on this.....

Jerry Reinsdorf is co-chairman of the committee to advance the role of minorities in baseball.

I imagine he may be in New Orleans to give a talk about what the committee is doing or how this area of baseball is advancing.

Lip

surfdudes
12-12-2003, 06:27 PM
He's actually in New Orleans to carry the $385,000.00 in proceeds from Churros sales at the Cell last year. That is what J.R.
has allocated to K.W. for aquisitions of players this weekend.

Man Soo Lee
12-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Usually, he doesn't interfere unless it involves massive contracts.

This was my thought as well. I doubt they're in on a major free agent, so could it be a final push for a Maggs' extension before they consider a trade?

cornball
12-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
JR will live until medical science is able to clone him. Because of his love for the sox and it's fans he'll never allow anyone else to rule the Sox Kingdom.

Are you describing Hell?

longshot7
12-12-2003, 07:04 PM

Shouldn't this be in teal?

and I see JR as closer to Lionel Hutz than Mr. Burns?

No, Money Down!

RedPinStripes
12-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15

This is true. Or he knows KW is getting itchy and he's there to make sure he dont come back without cutting payroll or trading frank.

duke of dorwood
12-12-2003, 09:50 PM
I just wish he wasnt there. He does not stand for anything that I agree with

CLR01
12-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by mikef1331

Hmm.....I think Kenny is a little taller.

doogiec
12-12-2003, 10:48 PM
It doesn't really matter what happens to him, he owns less than 10% of the team.

Lip Man 1
12-13-2003, 01:37 PM
Doogie:

Yes it does matter because Reinsdorf has it in his contract that he is charge of the day to day operations of the club. He is the CEO and chairman of the board and the other owners can not do a thing to counteract him unless they buy out his shares.

Further in his contract (same as with the Bulls) it is stated that the other owners have NO SAY in the day to day operations of the teams, he has absolute authority to do what he wants and that was agreed upon by the other investors from day one.

Lip

lowesox
12-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Levine also mentioned something about the Sox making a two-year offer to Ponson. The initial offer of years and money were not enough, according to Levine.

Hopefully KW can get something done here.

This would be incredible. Imagine (and YES, I know this would never happen) if the SOx could get this deal done and do a salary for salary swap with the M's for Garcia?

Ponson
Loaiza
Buerle
Garcia
Garland

Screw 2b and CF. That would be nice.

oheeoh...magglio
12-13-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
This would be incredible. Imagine (and YES, I know this would never happen) if the SOx could get this deal done and do a salary for salary swap with the M's for Garcia?

Ponson
Loaiza
Buerle
Garcia
Garland

Screw 2b and CF. That would be nice.

That indeed would be incredible, but will never happen with Uncle Jerry running the show :(:

doogiec
12-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Doogie:

Yes it does matter because Reinsdorf has it in his contract that he is charge of the day to day operations of the club. He is the CEO and chairman of the board and the other owners can not do a thing to counteract him unless they buy out his shares.

Further in his contract (same as with the Bulls) it is stated that the other owners have NO SAY in the day to day operations of the teams, he has absolute authority to do what he wants and that was agreed upon by the other investors from day one.

Lip

You're making the assumption that that other 92% of the ownership would drive the Sox in the complete opposite direction should Reinsdorf not be a factor in the future, due to death or sale of his interest.

I find it hard to believe that the team has been run by Reinsdorf in the exact opposite direction of the wishes of 92% of the owners for 24 years. The other 92% do have the ability to force the sale of the team. It is not unusual for a company to be run with virtual absolute power by a CEO or Managing Partner that does not have majority ownership. That is the case in many companies. But if the CEO doesn't run things in the manner the majority desires, they can be replaced. Buying out Reinsdorf's chunk would not be that difficult. In addition, there is no way Reinsdorf has the power to force partners to put more of their personal money into the team, which may be necessary to increase payroll before an actual revenue increase, as many have suggested in necessary.

While I recognize Reinsdorf's power is as you stated on paper, I don't believe the Sox would operate much differently in his absence once the 92% names one of their own to replace him. My point is simply that the entire ownership group would need to go to see significant change, not just Reinsdorf.

In the words of The Who, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

CubKilla
12-13-2003, 08:59 PM

You're kidding, right? 20+ years of really caring about winning. Gimme a break.