PDA

View Full Version : The National Review talking baseball

Dadawg_77
12-12-2003, 03:02 PM
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/marchman200312110800.asp

The article is about the current labor market and conclusion.

davenicholson
12-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/marchman200312110800.asp

The article is about the current labor market and conclusion.
Dawg,

That's a great article. But how in the heck did you end up on the NRO web site??? :cool: I recommend that article to everyone, but if you're from the political left, maybe you should tape a 2" wide piece of cardboard around the edges of your monitor before you go there. I'd hate for folks like Marq or Frater to get indigestion by seeing some of the ads :)

WhiteSoxWinner
12-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Agreed. That was an interesting article. Hadn't really thought about the arbitration and non-tenders like that before.

voodoochile
12-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by davenicholson
Dawg,

That's a great article. But how in the heck did you end up on the NRO web site??? :cool: I recommend that article to everyone, but if you're from the political left, maybe you should tape a 2" wide piece of cardboard around the edges of your monitor before you go there. I'd hate for folks like Marq or Frater to get indigestion by seeing some of the ads :)

That's funny. I so routinely ignore advertising on websites that I didn't even notice it until you said something. Luckily I still had the window open.

Interesting article. Starting to look more and more like Kermit was right. Players do produce in their 30's, but not as well as they did a few years before that (for the most part) so owners end up paying for last years numbers both in arbitration and in free agency. Now the pendulum is swinging the other way and the owners are deciding to "stop the insanity" by not paying anyone anything until the market comes down. Without a paper trail it will be hard to prove collusion.

2 thoughts...

Tejada is only being offered 3 years at $24M? I think he is worth it. The Sox should offer him 4 years at $33M with a 5th year team option for $10M or a buyout. Find a second baseman and make Valentin the BU infielder if you can't move him. What the heck, he can Platoon with Rowand in CF.

Selig is an even bigger weenie than I ever dreamed possible. How did this guy become head of MLB? It boggles the mind. He must be paying somebody money hand over fist and you get the impression it is coming right back at him.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Selig is an even bigger weenie than I ever dreamed possible. How did this guy become head of MLB? It boggles the mind. He must be paying somebody money hand over fist and you get the impression it is coming right back at him.

Voodoo,

Just curious, why did you form this opinion based on the article? Don't get me wrong, I think Selig is a tool, but how did you associate that with the article?

voodoochile
12-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Voodoo,

Just curious, why did you form this opinion based on the article? Don't get me wrong, I think Selig is a tool, but how did you associate that with the article?

More of the reminder of how much money was spent on the stadium and now his $30M payroll limit. It just hit me at that moment how completely shady it all is. Him, Reinsdorf, Pohlad have a little power triangle going on in the midwest and are milking it for all they can get.

StillMissOzzie
12-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
More of the reminder of how much money was spent on the stadium and now his $30M payroll limit. It just hit me at that moment how completely shady it all is. Him, Reinsdorf, Pohlad have a little power triangle going on in the midwest and are milking it for all they can get.

There was a story on the ESPN.con website a week back or so that essentially blamed the victims (city of Milwaukee, taxpayers there) for taking Selig at his word to field a competitive team, when they should have known that the Brewer franchise was already in financial trouble.

Sure, NOW they open the books, after they've GOT their now stadium. I'm surprised Bud isn't pulling a Salman Rushdie, hiding in exile.

SMO
:gulp: