PDA

View Full Version : Royals to steal another White Sox

santo=dorf
12-12-2003, 01:08 PM
According to www.rotoworld.com, The Royals are now interested in Tony G. Supposedly he turned down an offer from the Indians, but the D-Rays, and Blosox are still interested.

CHISOXFAN13
12-12-2003, 01:20 PM
If he wants to be an every day player, he won't land in KC.

Tekijawa
12-12-2003, 01:23 PM
I bet they were really after Uribe before Kenny swooped in and snatched him up!!! See as a Sox fan you have to think "outside the box" in order to prevent youself from completely losing it!

itchy
12-12-2003, 01:49 PM
I won't miss him.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-12-2003, 01:52 PM
I will be sorry to see Tony go, but he is not going to be the player to put the Royals over the top. Not a great loss to a division rival.

lowesox
12-12-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
I will be sorry to see Tony go, but he is not going to be the player to put the Royals over the top. Not a great loss to a division rival.

You know, it really is a shame that our management doesn't recognize that they're letting a fan favourite leave for a small amount of money (in baseball terms).

Oh well, lets see what Uribe can do.

Dick Allen
12-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Personally, I will always remember him for almost singlehandedly blowing that Sat afternoon game against the Cubs (2001?) at Comiskey. You don't blow games against the Cubs if you want to be on my good side.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-12-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
You know, it really is a shame that our management doesn't recognize that they're letting a fan favourite leave for a small amount of money (in baseball terms).

Too true, lowesox. Only another in a long line of fan favorites allowed to walk. Tony G., The Milkman, The Little Hurt, etc.

anewman35
12-12-2003, 02:39 PM

Oh well, lets see what Uribe can do.

The thing is, we don't know if he even wanted to come back, do we? If he wanted to be a starter, maybe he'd go somewhere else, even for the same (or less) money.

santo=dorf
12-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
The thing is, we don't know if he even wanted to come back, do we? If he wanted to be a starter, maybe he'd go somewhere else, even for the same (or less) money.

That's what I've been wondering. How much playing time does he expect to get with the Red Sox?

thepaulbowski
12-12-2003, 02:50 PM
Too true, lowesox. Only another in a long line of fan favorites allowed to walk. Tony G., The Milkman, The Little Hurt, etc.

These "fan favorites" are not what we call special players. They may be great guys and/or special people, but it doesn't bother me to have average players go. They are a dime a dozen.

Foulke You
12-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
Personally, I will always remember him for almost singlehandedly blowing that Sat afternoon game against the Cubs (2001?) at Comiskey. You don't blow games against the Cubs if you want to be on my good side.

Oooof! Why are you re-opening old wounds? I remember the Sun-Times headline from the next day: "Gaffe-anino" Biggest screw up he made in a Sox uniform. However, we did win the series against the Cubs 2-1 with half our team injured and the Cubs "contending" that year. Tony G was a valuable guy off the bench during his tenure with the Sox. He'll be missed.

JasonC23
12-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
That's what I've been wondering. How much playing time does he expect to get with the Red Sox?

They might be considering making him one half of a 2B platoon. That would be a great way to maximize Tony's strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

Speaking of which, a Harris/Graff platoon at 2B for the Sox would have been nice. Oh, well...

voodoochile
12-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf

After they trade Nomar and Damon to the southside for Konerko and Koch..., Graff can start at SS...

Brian26
12-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Oooof! Why are you re-opening old wounds? I remember the Sun-Times headline from the next day: "Gaffe-anino" Biggest screw up he made in a Sox uniform. However, we did win the series against the Cubs 2-1 with half our team injured and the Cubs "contending" that year. Tony G was a valuable guy off the bench during his tenure with the Sox. He'll be missed.

Was that the play when he went for the force at third even though there wasn't a force there?

doublem23
12-12-2003, 06:37 PM

Wow... That's almost a ****ty infield.

lowesox
12-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
These "fan favorites" are not what we call special players. They may be great guys and/or special people, but it doesn't bother me to have average players go. They are a dime a dozen.

Winning aside - very few fans didn't like Tony. Fielding a team full of likeable players = attendance. Attendance = more money. More money = More wins.

SoxRulecubsdrool
12-12-2003, 07:12 PM

I have had a hard time forgetting that. My in-laws were over and they are "cub-nation". I took a beating that afternoon. I need to move on. :gulp:

Daver
12-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Tony was not offered arbitration because there would be no draft pick available if he left,and he approached Kenny to tell him he was going to explore FA because he wants to play more than the role of a utility player.Kenny merely granted Tony's wishes.

RichH55
12-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Winning aside - very few fans didn't like Tony. Fielding a team full of likeable players = attendance. Attendance = more money. More money = More wins.

No one except the Graffiano family came to see Tony play just for TOny....winning brings the fans

duke of dorwood
12-12-2003, 09:47 PM
He was definately a tinkering toy for the prior manager. Dependable and a real asset during injuries and as a pinch hitter. In the big picture, players like this are always hard to replace.

StillMissOzzie
12-12-2003, 09:52 PM
My understanding, too, was he wanted more playing time and KW couldn't guarantee that he'd get it. The age-old question of playing backup for a contender or playing every day for a no-chance team like the D-Rays...

SMO

Dick Allen
12-13-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Was that the play when he went for the force at third even though there wasn't a force there? Yes, and he also botched a squeeze bunt the inning before, then hit into a double play.

dickallen15
12-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Yes, and he also botched a squeeze bunt the inning before, then hit into a double play.

It would have been a sweep. Tony G. is a good part-time player. If he plays regularly, he is not effective.

MHOUSE
12-14-2003, 12:35 AM
I'll always remember Tony hitting 2 or 3 homers in that game early on 2002 I think. It was against the Jndjans I believe. He hit the first to lead, the second to tie later, and the third to go ahead.