PDA

View Full Version : Uribe Comment

Lip Man 1
12-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Did anybody else see this comment on Uribe in the Southtown:

For White Sox, help could be tough to come by

ByJoe Cowley

Staff writer

"But with the winter meetings set to begin in New Orleans today, the only grinding on the South Side thus far has been the gnashing of Williams' teeth.

Top pitching priority Bartolo Colon? Gone. He signed a free-agent deal with Anaheim.

Outfielder Carl Everett and reserve infielder Tony Graffanino the closest things the Sox had to true "grinders?" Gone.

Second baseman Roberto Alomar, left-handed-hitting first baseman/outfielder Brian Daubach and pitchers Tom Gordon and Scott Sullivan, all veterans? Gone, gone, gone, gone.

This offseason, it's been mainly subtractions for the Sox. The only addition has been former Rockies infielder Juan Uribe, and talk out of Colorado is Uribe isn't the best guy to have in a clubhouse. Think of him as "D'Angelo Jimenez Lite."

also another mention in one of the papers today said that Ozzie has stopped trying to contact Frank after leaving numerous messages for him in Las Vegas. So far those messages have been ignored... hmmmmmmm.

Lip

delben91
12-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I definitely did see that, just came here to post it myself. From the sounds of it though, Uribe plays like Jiminez Lite too, so I guess it's appropriate.

Who knows, maybe he'll break it out this year and everyone will be happy, if not I guess we have to have faith in Ozzie to keep his head in the game. If nothing else, I'd bet Ozzie could do that.

joecrede
12-12-2003, 01:36 PM
You are not going to get a flawless player/person in return for Aaron Miles.

Tekijawa
12-12-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

Especially if Kenny Williams is involved!

34 Inch Stick
12-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Did anybody else see this comment on Uribe in the Southtown:

For White Sox, help could be tough to come by

ByJoe Cowley

Staff writer

"But with the winter meetings set to begin in New Orleans today, the only grinding on the South Side thus far has been the gnashing of Williams' teeth.

Top pitching priority Bartolo Colon? Gone. He signed a free-agent deal with Anaheim.

Outfielder Carl Everett and reserve infielder Tony Graffanino the closest things the Sox had to true "grinders?" Gone.

Second baseman Roberto Alomar, left-handed-hitting first baseman/outfielder Brian Daubach and pitchers Tom Gordon and Scott Sullivan, all veterans? Gone, gone, gone, gone.

This offseason, it's been mainly subtractions for the Sox. The only addition has been former Rockies infielder Juan Uribe, and talk out of Colorado is Uribe isn't the best guy to have in a clubhouse. Think of him as "D'Angelo Jimenez Lite."

also another mention in one of the papers today said that Ozzie has stopped trying to contact Frank after leaving numerous messages for him in Las Vegas. So far those messages have been ignored... hmmmmmmm.

Lip

Ozzie should trick one of the Sox players into letting him use his cell phone and call Frank with it. Frank probably is monitoring the numbers with call waiting and would be tricked into accepting the call from someone like Maggs.

wsgdf
12-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Hilarious - Rockie fans are furious that Uribe was traded for a career minor leaguer and White Sox fans are still upset we traded a career minor leaguer.

Just an example of how fans tend to overvalue their own.

Tekijawa
12-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Ozzie should trick one of the Sox players into letting him use his cell phone and call Frank with it. Frank probably is monitoring the numbers with call waiting and would be tricked into accepting the call from someone like Maggs.

He's probbably dead in his bathtub. Has anyone heard from him since Ozzie was hired? I haven't seen anything about him since then.

lowesox
12-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

I'm not sure what was wrong with Miles. He seemed like the exact kind of guy we needed. I actually, wouldn't have had a big problem with trying him out as the starting 2b.

I'm not so sure about Uribe. Although, with a guy like Guillen I think a players attitude is less important than it was with manual.

wsgdf
12-12-2003, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure what was wrong with Miles. He seemed like the exact kind of guy we needed.

A 26 year old who can't play defense and finally made it out of AAA for a few games last year. I'd start Harris over him any day of the week.

Kenny Williams STOLE Uribe from the Rockies. Believe it.

Kilroy
12-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Maybe the Wizard Oz should have made those calls before his lil speech the day he was announced.

PaulDrake
12-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by wsgdf
A 26 year old who can't play defense and finally made it out of AAA for a few games last year. I'd start Harris over him any day of the week.

Kenny Williams STOLE Uribe from the Rockies. Believe it. I'm so impressed.

Palehose13
12-12-2003, 03:50 PM
If he doesn't know English*, he can't be that much of a distraction.

*wasn't it reported that he didn't want to learn English or something like that?

thepaulbowski
12-12-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
If he doesn't know English*, he can't be that much of a distraction.

*wasn't it reported that he didn't want to learn English or something like that?

Just like Colon was a distraction last year

voodoochile
12-12-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
He's probbably dead in his bathtub. Has anyone heard from him since Ozzie was hired? I haven't seen anything about him since then.

More likely he is drunk at some blackjack table in LV or someplace more exotic where it is hard to reach him...

DSpivack
12-12-2003, 05:12 PM
I've said this already, but one team trades it's trash for another's.

Whoop.

Dee.

Doo.