PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know Anything Bout This?

habibharu
12-12-2003, 11:59 AM
i was listening to the score yesterday and during hood's show at about 7 pm, some guy from hobart,IN called in and set he is originally from seattle and that he knows one of the bigger sports writers there. he said the guys name and then said the his sources told him that the sox were gonna sign maddux to a 2 years deal!! all hood said was that he'll believe it when he sees. any info?

doublem23
12-12-2003, 12:00 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

CHISOXFAN13
12-12-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
i was listening to the score yesterday and during hood's show at about 7 pm, some guy from hobart,IN called in and set he is originally from seattle and that he knows one of the bigger sports writers there. he said the guys name and then said the his sources told him that the sox were gonna sign maddux to a 2 years deal!! all hood said was that he'll believe it when he sees. any info?

I heard the same thing too, and like everyone else, I'll believe it when I'll see it. I really think Maddux will end up playing in an NL city again.

Palehose13
12-12-2003, 12:17 PM

KW seems to be pretty good at keeping things below the radar. The Buerhle deal wasn't mentioned, if I remember correctly, the Colon trade was a surprise. So...who knows? I guess anything is possible.

habibharu
12-12-2003, 12:22 PM
it would be sweet if we got him cuz he'd win his 300th game here! take that scrubs

CLR01
12-12-2003, 12:35 PM
It'll probably Tommy Maddox.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-12-2003, 12:35 PM
it would be sweet if we got him cuz he'd win his 300th game here! take that scrubs

That would be nice, but I can see the media coverage now...

Cut to shot of talking head which shows a picture of Maddux's face in the left corner, conspicuously not wearing a baseball cap . And in other news, former Cubs draft pick Greg Maddux won his 300th career game against the Baltimore Orioles tonight. Maddux was a former 20 game winner with the Cubs back in 1992. Ahhhh, if only he would stayed on the Northside. Back to you, (insert name of anchor here ).

Iwritecode
12-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
if I remember correctly, the Colon trade was a surprise.

I don't think the Colon trade was that big of a surprise. I think everyone knew that KW was going after him, just nobody really thought he would actually land him...

Foulke You
12-12-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I don't think the Colon trade was that big of a surprise. I think everyone knew that KW was going after him, just nobody really thought he would actually land him...

I think on WSI and in local circles we knew that KW had interest in Colon but on a national level I think the trade caught everyone by surprise. It wasn't until the day before the trade that national media outlets started noticing that the Sox could be a player in the Colon sweepstakes. I remember listening to Sporting News Radio (a national radio network) when the deal was announced. The host was immediately surprised and then started praising KW for getting that deal done.

BeerHandle
12-12-2003, 12:49 PM
I would take Maddux in a heartbeart if the price was not to high. He definetly has a few good years left in him.

Buehrle
Loaiza
Maddux
Garland
5th ??????

Not so bad!

34 Inch Stick
12-12-2003, 12:54 PM
How would a reporter from Seattle, a town Maddux has never even played in throughout his career, have a scoop about the signing of a free agent in Chicago? The SCORE gets a lot of callers who call simply to boost there ego by saying they have a connection.

I remember one guy a few years back bragged about being the uncle to a back up point guard on a 20 loss DePaul team.

Iwritecode
12-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I would take Maddux in a heartbeart if the price was not to high. He definetly has a few good years left in him.

Buehrle
Loaiza
Maddux
Garland
5th ??????

Not so bad!

Just about anything would be better than what we have right now.

He still won't replace the hole that Colon left though... :angry:

Tekijawa
12-12-2003, 12:55 PM
I also think he'd be great for our young pitchers, it's not so much for this year as it would be for Buehrle, Garland, Rauch, Honel, adkins, Cotts, etc.... I've been pushing for a pitcher like him on numerous boards for years. Seeing him win 300 would be cool, but if a guy like David wells can have an effect on our young guys, just think what a pitcher like Maddux could do!

Hangar18
12-12-2003, 01:05 PM
You know, the more I think of this, the MORE INTRIGUEING MADDUX BEING HERE MAKES SENSE. We'd get the MEDIA ATTENTION for him chasing his 300th Win here, Hes already said he wouldnt mind Playing for the Cubs OR the SOX. I like this Idea more and more...
COME ON KENNY, give us something to talk about when we all Meet at PUFFERS on 12/19, 3356 S Halsted

hold2dibber
12-12-2003, 01:06 PM
I would love to have Maddux, but:

(1) His agent is Boras and Boras and JR reportedly will not transact business with each other;

(2) He's a career national leaguer - while I think he'd be reasonably effective in the AL for a year or two, I think it would be a mistake to give him no. 1 starter money at this point in his career (2 years at $7 mm/year, at the most). I'm not certain that I'd rather have him over Ponson.

MarkEdward
12-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

Or maybe this Maddux (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/maddumi01.shtml).

Hell, maybe we can get them to throw in a Glavine (http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/glavimi01.shtml)...

npdempse
12-12-2003, 01:08 PM
Reportedly Maddux despises AL ball, thinks pitchers should hit. The teams I've seen mentioned as possibly in the running for him are all NL teams (most notably the Padres).

Now who's gonna post the "This Thread Sucks" thing...

joecrede
12-12-2003, 01:09 PM
Maddux in the American League would get hit really hard.

Tekijawa
12-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I would love to have Maddux, but:

(1) His agent is Boras and Boras and JR reportedly will not transact business with each other;

(2) He's a career national leaguer - while I think he'd be reasonably effective in the AL for a year or two, I think it would be a mistake to give him no. 1 starter money at this point in his career (2 years at $7 mm/year, at the most). I'm not certain that I'd rather have him over Ponson.

I agree with #1, but #2 is rediculous... You're saying, if possible, that you'd rather have Ponson at $7 Million then Maddux? Ponson has had what 1 good year and that's better than the 10+ OUTSTANDING YEARS that Maddux had? I'll agree he's getting old but he's the type of pitcher that has low wear and could probably pitch until he's 50...

npdempse
12-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I'll agree he's getting old but he's the type of pitcher that has low wear and could probably pitch until he's 50... [/B]

Can you name ANY pitcher from the modern era who pitched at 50? Even Phil Niekro retired at 48, and he was a knuckleballer. Maddux has 3-4 years left at best.

OEO Magglio
12-12-2003, 06:48 PM
I like the idea with Maddux, he had a rough beginning, but became the maddux of old in the 2nd half of the season, 3.03 era after the allstar break.

Daver
12-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Can you name ANY pitcher from the modern era who pitched at 50? Even Phil Niekro retired at 48, and he was a knuckleballer. Maddux has 3-4 years left at best.

How old was Charlie Hough when he finally gave in?

npdempse
12-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Daver

RedPinStripes
12-12-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

You were also blessed with wisdom from JC? I notice the sig. Linky please! I missed this one. LOL!

RedPinStripes
12-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Daver

Charlie Hough was a differnet breed. I'm surprised there arent more knuckle-ballers inbaseball. Master that pitch and you add years onto your career.

OEO Magglio
12-12-2003, 09:38 PM
LOL CLR, I love the quote in your sig from jc, I guess I'm not a sox fan either.

soxwon
12-12-2003, 11:38 PM
ive been saying since september the sox will sign maddox- it would be a laugher when he wins # 300 and 400 with the chisox.

npdempse
12-13-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Charlie Hough was a differnet breed. I'm surprised there arent more knuckle-ballers inbaseball. Master that pitch and you add years onto your career.

Reading _Ball Four_ gave me a good deal of perspective on this question. The knuck is so unpredictable, it's hard for a guy to base a career on it. Is there anybody besides Niekro who's had HOF success with it? Just look at guys like Wakefield or that sumbitch from Detroit who they always bring in for relief against the PaleHose. One day they're practically unhittable, the next they get completely shelled.

TommyJohn
12-13-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by npdempse
Reading _Ball Four_ gave me a good deal of perspective on this question. The knuck is so unpredictable, it's hard for a guy to base a career on it. Is there anybody besides Niekro who's had HOF success with it? Just look at guys like Wakefield or that sumbitch from Detroit who they always bring in for relief against the PaleHose. One day they're practically unhittable, the next they get completely shelled.

That's true. I'm sure Wilbur Wood agrees. The year before he
got hurt his ERA shot up into the 4.00 range after a few years
of being one of the best pitchers in baseball. Then his knee
injury pretty much finished him.

CLR01
12-13-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

You were also blessed with wisdom from JC? I notice the sig. Linky please! I missed this one. LOL!

Its the Sox vs Cubs thread in the PL.

Originally posted by OEO Magglio
LOL CLR, I love the quote in your sig from jc, I guess I'm not a sox fan either.

Nothing gets by that guy. Here I thought i had everyone fooled and then he cmes along and blows my cover.

I think on WSI and in local circles we knew that KW had interest in Colon but on a national level I think the trade caught everyone by surprise. It wasn't until the day before the trade that national media outlets started noticing that the Sox could be a player in the Colon sweepstakes. I remember listening to Sporting News Radio (a national radio network) when the deal was announced. The host was immediately surprised and then started praising KW for getting that deal done.

Didn't Cashman walk Kenny through that trade?