PDA

View Full Version : New Contract Needed for Loaiza

owensmouth
12-12-2003, 08:58 AM
Now that Burhle is signed for 3 or 4 years, isn't it about time to make a good offer to Estaban Loaiza? He won 21 games for us last year and is eligible for free agemcy next year. We can't afford to lose Loaiza. Time for KW to start working on keeping him here.

thepaulbowski
12-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Now that Burhle is signed for 3 or 4 years, isn't it about time to make a good offer to Estaban Loaiza? He won 21 games for us last year and is eligible for free agemcy next year. We can't afford to lose Loaiza. Time for KW to start working on keeping him here.

I think before KW starts throwing the $$$ at Loaiza, he needs to prove last year wasn't a fluke.

CLR01
12-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
I think before KW starts throwing the $$$ at Loaiza, he needs to prove last year wasn't a fluke.

I agree with that. If he is putting up decent numbers in May/June start talking about a contract.

soxrme
12-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Hopefully we will get the same kind of year this year. But I do not think he has had two good years in a row.

munchman33
12-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
Hopefully we will get the same kind of year this year. But I do not think he has had two good years in a row.

Yes, but before this year he hasn't really had one good season in a row....I really think something just clicked for him and we should expect more of the same production from ELO.

FanOf14
12-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski

I agree 110%.

34 Inch Stick
12-12-2003, 12:39 PM
If you sign him now you sign him while there is still doubt in his, his agents, and the league's head. That means he will be looking for long term security in exchange for less money. If he comes out smoking this year no agent in the world would advise him to sign a contract and miss the big FA payday. I have said all along to offer 3 years and 12 million and be happy to have him around for a while.

habibharu
12-12-2003, 12:47 PM
i say we wait until about mid season then sign him. i hate to say this but last year could have been a fluke

Iwritecode
12-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by habibharu
i say we wait until about mid season then sign him. i hate to say this but last year could have been a fluke

Stat-heads have been saying that last year may not have been a fluke. Still I think they need to see him pitch a little bit this year to make sure.

I'd say wait until mid-April and see how he's doing. Much longer and it might be like 34 Inch Stick said. He might start looking for more money then...

Dadawg_77
12-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Two schools of thought are in my head on this one.

One, sign him now to a decent deal. This would give E Lo security if he gets hurt or was a fluke so he may be willing to take a lower price. This would benefit the Sox if E Lo was not a fluke and they have him for cheap for a few years. Also could be used to minimize the down side as it would lower the price of E Lo services. The Sox should only do this if they believe there is a good chance last year wasn't a fluke, E Lo is healthily and willing to sign for a lower price then what he could earn next year.

Two, wait to see to see he how he does. While this reduces the risk of Sox paying for substandard production, it also increases of the risk of the Sox being force to let him go or give him a considerable raise after next year. With the free agent market in a lull the past couple of years, E Lo's market price is depressed compared to years prior so this route may make sense as E Lo would eventually sign with Sox at cost similar to what it would take to lock him up. Plus if the Sox lose him to FA and he pitches well, the Sox could get a couple of draft picks.

Either option has its pluses and its drawbacks. I am not really sure which way to proceed would be the correct one.

voodoochile
12-12-2003, 01:23 PM
If he will sign now for 3 years less than $10M total, I would take a chance on him, but he would be silly to do that so the odds are small it will happen.

This is a guy who has always had "potential" but never lived up to the hype. This is his chance to break the bank and he needs to do it NOW because he is already over 30. Look for him to hold out for a big money contract at the end of the season. Even if he has an off year by last year's standards (16-13, 4.25) he should be able to get a $15M+ offer from someone. That is what #3 starters make these days...

hold2dibber
12-12-2003, 01:28 PM
If he'd agree to a 2 year extension ('05 and '06) for less than $10 million total, I'd probably roll the dice. Anything more than that, I think I'd want to wait and see how he does next year, first.

mike squires
12-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Never would I sign Estaban to a multi year contract. So we give him a decent sized contract and fails, just like Konerko, we are stuck with him. If he has a good year and the Sox are not in contecntion trade him for some young talent. No way do we sign him to a long term deal espeically considering todays market.

Win1ForMe
12-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
This is a guy who has always had "potential" but never lived up to the hype. This is his chance to break the bank and he needs to do it NOW because he is already over 30.

Not that I disagree with anything you said, but just wanted to point out that he was making $6M the last year of his deal in Toronto (I'm not sure but I would guess he was making similar amounts in the few previous years). A $15M contract wouldn't exactly be "breaking the bank," at least not for him. Unless that's a per year amount...

StillMissOzzie
12-12-2003, 11:03 PM
While this has been a depressed market for position players, pitching still commands a premium price. When setup men like Hawkins can get $3.5 - 4M/year for what? 70-100 innings of work maybe 1-2 innings at a time, good starters would get $7-10M/year for 2, 3, or even 4 years.

If he has another decent year, I suspect that is what he'd want. I saw above that Esteban is > 30, but IMHO he'd still want something like 2 yr/$16M, and if the Sox won't pay it, someone else will.

SMO

RedPinStripes
12-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Loaiza never really made big money. I think he gets 5 mill this year, but if he wins 20 games again, how much you wanna bet he will want to test the market? i doubt the Sox will offer him 13 mill before the season is up.

RichH55
12-13-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Loaiza never really made big money. I think he gets 5 mill this year, but if he wins 20 games again, how much you wanna bet he will want to test the market? i doubt the Sox will offer him 13 mill before the season is up.

I doubt anyone will offer him 13 a year ...period

Loaiza is interesting....could really go either way, unless he wants 3 years at something reasonable you are taking a huge gamble