PDA

View Full Version : Rule 5 Draft Prospects

mikef1331
12-12-2003, 12:46 AM
I just read an article about the upcoming Rule 5 draft prospects that was pretty interesting. Hopefully the Sox will be able to acquire some players without having to gut the team to get them.

Here's the article (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20031208&content_id=613881&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) about the upcoming draft.

Here are a couple of Rule 5 prospects that the Sox might be interested in:

Rich Thompson, OF, Pirates (Triple-A)
Thompson came to the Pirates in a minor league deal from the Blue Jays, then tore up the AFL. Thompson stole a total of 48 bases in 2003 and is a terrific defensive center fielder. He's got no power, but could be a leadoff candidate for some teams.

Alec Zumwalt, RHP, Braves (Double-A)
Originally drafted as an outfielder, Zumwalt switched to relief pitching in 2002. The transformation has been impressive, and last year he had a 1.98 ERA between two levels, pitching better after moving up to Double-A. Other teams will also like his 62 Ks in 63 2/3 innings as well as the .191 batting average against.

Craig Anderson, LHP, Mariners (Triple-A)
People may look at the Aussie's drop in K rate as he's moved up and decide they're not interested, but all Anderson has done is win. He's gone 52-32 with a 3.17 ERA in his minor league career, including 13-11, 3.56 in his first taste of Triple-A this past year. He was eligible last year, and no one bit. He's only 23 and appears ready to show what he can do in the bigs.

Jjav829
12-12-2003, 08:11 AM
Along with those three, what about Jake Gautreau? I know hes had some problems, but if he can stay healthy maybe we can find ourselves a steal here. We're not exactly overwhelmed with 2B for the future. Unless we plan on signing a 2B, maybe he's be worth giving a shot to come over here and see if he can earn a roster spot.

RichH55
12-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Hector Luna SS

Ansman - C

mikef1331
12-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Along with those three, what about Jake Gautreau? I know hes had some problems, but if he can stay healthy maybe we can find ourselves a steal here. We're not exactly overwhelmed with 2B for the future. Unless we plan on signing a 2B, maybe he's be worth giving a shot to come over here and see if he can earn a roster spot.

I was almost going to put Gautreau on my previous post, but I left him off to keep the post shorter.