PDA

View Full Version : Will the Sox Trade Maggs?


Hosey22
12-11-2003, 11:21 PM
I was convinced they wouldn't, that the sox finally realized that wasn't the answer. But i was readin on the dodgers board and they seemed sure to themselves that Maggs was going to be a dodger. I just wanted to see if they were sounding like idiots, or we were the idiots. Although i think i know the answer to that.

joeynach
12-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Hosey22
I was convinced they wouldn't, that the sox finally realized that wasn't the answer. But i was readin on the dodgers board and they seemed sure to themselves that Maggs was going to be a dodger. I just wanted to see if they were sounding like idiots, or we were the idiots. Although i think i know the answer to that.

The answer is maybe. The sox would first and foremost like to keep him. But its his call. They will only keep him if they believe they can work out some sort of lenghty contract during or after this season. That is maggs acknowledging the sox fiscal situation and agreeing to someting reasonable. More like a home town discount. If he wants to go for big bucks the sox will trade him first. Im looking for the sox to offer him something like a 5 year deal worth about 8-10 mil per with deffered $$ or maybe a signing bonus.

JC456
12-11-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
The answer is maybe. The sox would first and foremost like to keep him. But its his call. They will only keep him if they believe they can work out some sort of lenghty contract during or after this season. That is maggs acknowledging the sox fiscal situation and agreeing to someting reasonable. More like a home town discount. If he wants to go for big bucks the sox will trade him first. Im looking for the sox to offer him something like a 5 year deal worth about 8-10 mil per with deffered $$ or maybe a signing bonus.

Well I didn't know you were an agent and knew all the particulars of the Maggs deal.

Jjav829
12-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Hosey22
I was convinced they wouldn't, that the sox finally realized that wasn't the answer. But i was readin on the dodgers board and they seemed sure to themselves that Maggs was going to be a dodger. I just wanted to see if they were sounding like idiots, or we were the idiots. Although i think i know the answer to that.

I think they have to seriously consider trading him. Yeah we could trade away other, but Maggs is still making $14 million. That is the equivalent of trading away Konerko and Koch. If we could trade Maggs, and still move Konerko, we will have knocked $22 million off the payroll giving KW some flexibility assuming the players we get back don't cost too much. Taking two trade we've been discussing on here over the past few weeks, Maggs for Soriano and Konerko for Perez. While neither seem very likely as this point, I'll use them hypothetically anyways. Those two deals would leave us with about $17 million extra to work with (assuming that they would make about $5 million combined- depending on Perez). That leaves enough room to make a good run at Ponson (or Garcia, etc.), a couple solid veteran relievers, a second baseman, and an outfielder. No they couldn't fill all of those holes with $17 million but they could fill at least 3 depending of the caliber player.

I would like to have Maggs here next year, but if KW could find a trade that would free up that much salary, I don't see how he could ignore it.

JC456
12-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I think they have to seriously consider trading him. Yeah we could trade away other, but Maggs is still making $14 million. That is the equivalent of trading away Konerko and Koch. If we could trade Maggs, and still move Konerko, we will have knocked $22 million off the payroll giving KW some flexibility assuming the players we get back don't cost too much. Taking two trade we've been discussing on here over the past few weeks, Maggs for Soriano and Konerko for Perez. While neither seem very likely as this point, I'll use them hypothetically anyways. Those two deals would leave us with about $17 million extra to work with (assuming that they would make about $5 million combined- depending on Perez). That leaves enough room to make a good run at Ponson (or Garcia, etc.), a couple solid veteran relievers, a second baseman, and an outfielder. No they couldn't fill all of those holes with $17 million but they could fill at least 3 depending of the caliber player.

I would like to have Maggs here next year, but if KW could find a trade that would free up that much salary, I don't see how he could ignore it.

Maggs can't cover Right field and has no arm. He ain't worth 10 mil.

lowesox
12-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Hosey22
I was convinced they wouldn't, that the sox finally realized that wasn't the answer. But i was readin on the dodgers board and they seemed sure to themselves that Maggs was going to be a dodger. I just wanted to see if they were sounding like idiots, or we were the idiots. Although i think i know the answer to that.

Who did Dodger fans think they were going to give up?