PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie

wassagstdu
12-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Anyone notice that Ozzie Guillen turned up as the 3rd best defensive shortstop in the last 30 years (1974-2001) -- behind some other Ozzie and Dave Concepcion -- in the "Defensive Regression Analysis" http://www.baseballprimer.com/articles/humphreys_2003-11-19_0.shtml
If I read the numbers correctly he also had the best single year in the last 30 years. I've never been much of a stat-head, mainly because of the problems with defense. Maybe there is something to this DRA. Bottom of the list is Derek Jeter, by the way.

Apparently Bill James has some good things to say about Ozzie's entire game, in contrast to the stream of diss-ing he has gotten lately here.

SouthBendSox
12-11-2003, 11:12 PM
this has to be one of the dumbest hirings of the last 10 years

thezeker
12-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by wassagstdu
Anyone notice that Ozzie Guillen turned up as the 3rd best defensive shortstop in the last 30 years (1974-2001) -- behind some other Ozzie and Dave Concepcion -- in the "Defensive Regression Analysis" http://www.baseballprimer.com/articles/humphreys_2003-11-19_0.shtml
If I read the numbers correctly he also had the best single year in the last 30 years. I've never been much of a stat-head, mainly because of the problems with defense. Maybe there is something to this DRA. Bottom of the list is Derek Jeter, by the way.

Apparently Bill James has some good things to say about Ozzie's entire game, in contrast to the stream of diss-ing he has gotten lately here.

I can believe it!!

I've been a fan since the early 60's and Ozzie and Joey Cora are the best keystone combination we have had since Aparicio and Fox by far!!!!

I'm glad they are back and maybe some of their intensity and stressing the fundamentals will help some of these clowns who have underachieved for the past 3 years!

Tragg
12-11-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by thezeker
I can believe it!!

I've been a fan since the early 60's and Ozzie and Joey Cora are the best keystone combination we have had since Aparicio and Fox by far!!!!

I'm glad they are back and maybe some of their intensity and stressing the fundamentals will help some of these clowns who have underachieved for the past 3 years!

The Toronto series in 1993 proved once and for all that Joey Cora was nowhere close to being a major league ballplayer.

Tekijawa
12-12-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by thezeker

Come on now! What about Valentin to Jimenez! I know I felt no fear when these two were in the process of turning the Double Play.

poorme
12-12-2003, 09:48 AM
Guillen was a fabulous shortstop before he tore up his knee and a good one afterward.

maurice
12-12-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Joey Cora was nowhere close to being a major league ballplayer.

I'll take his .348 career OBP over the 2Bs we've had since Durham was traded. Same crappy defense, though.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2003, 08:49 PM
I think Robbie and Manos were a great combo for a half season. If Jose can make 5 mill, why the **** cant we pay Robbie 6 mill over 2 years? :angry:

:weewillie
"Hello there!"

oldcomiskey
12-13-2003, 02:11 PM
they lost my vote when they tried to say that Greg Gagne was a better shortstop than Omar Visquel