PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Batista

santo=dorf
12-11-2003, 11:02 PM
ESPNews is reporting the Blue Jays have agreed to terms with Miguel Batista. I thought he would have made a good addition to the rotation.
http://www.rotoworld.com/display1.asp?sport=MLB&page=news

SoxxoS
12-11-2003, 11:48 PM
He was TOO good of fit.

We don't make those kind of moves. We will probably end up trading for him midseason.

santo=dorf
12-12-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
He was TOO good of fit.

We don't make those kind of moves. We will probably end up trading for him midseason.

Assuming we're still in it.

MRKARNO
12-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
Assuming we're still in it.

:reinsy

"Well if we're at .500 right before the break and the attendence is at 18,000, then forget it because it's the fans' faults for not coming to the games."

Jjav829
12-12-2003, 12:29 AM
Too bad. I'm surprised by the lack of interest in Batista. The Mets, Tigers, and Blue Jays were the only three interested? I guess there are a lot of teams skeptical that he can make the transition to the AL effectively or worried about his age? I want to see his contract because hes a guy I've wanted the Sox to sign since the day the Dbacks announced they weren't going to pick up his option. He has World Series experience and is a great character guy as well as a solid pitcher. Too bad we didn't look into him further.

JC456
12-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
:reinsy

"Well if we're at .500 right before the break and the attendence is at 18,000, then forget it because it's the fans' faults for not coming to the games."

And you know what? He is exactly right!!!!!

Shame on you White Sox fans who don't go to games because of JR. You're not fans!!

A fan is fan no matter what!!

DSpivack
12-12-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by JC456

Shame on you White Sox fans who don't go to games because of JR. You're not fans!!

So Blackhawks fans are to blame for their team's woes?

What about the Bears? They draw and still suck.

Realist
12-12-2003, 08:05 AM

I smell baby bear poop. I hope I didn't step in it.

Screw Bill W****. I went to TONS of games in the 80's and early 90's when the Blackhawks were the hottest ticket in Chicago. What did I get for it? I can't even watch a period and half of home game hockey on TV while I get ready for work because that demon wants me to go down to the Center (less than a mile from my home) and spend my money on HIS beer, HIS pizza, and HIS parking for 2 periods of hockey because I have to leave at 9:15pm. (.... stop... breathe.... breathe... don't shortwire the language filters, Realist.... )

P.S. Signing that rapist, Doug Gilmour, over Brett Hull was the last straw for me.

Sorry, Folks... but sheesh... We're an ORIGINAL 6 TEAM and this idiot owner has reduced us to a place slightly above the Chicago Fire.

I now consider the Blackhawks to be the "Cubs on Ice". You support that idiot organization, you should be a Cubs fan just like JC456.

Realist
12-12-2003, 08:09 AM

BTW, as of now, I go to over 30 White Sox games per year.

Wanne
12-12-2003, 11:38 AM
I've been sayin' this for the last month...at least a couple of times on here. I'm curious to see the dollar amount...and I'm sure he could have been had for probably anywhere between $3-5M per year. I look at Batista as a Loaiza-type picture. He's actually had very good success against the AL teams also. Living here in Phx, I've seen alot of Batista...and the only disagreement I have with an above poster...I'm not sure how great a character guy he is...in a clubhouse presence sense. He has a tendency to be a little pouty. But I think he would have been a steal and I'm surprised there was no interest shown in him by the sox.

Lip Man 1
12-12-2003, 01:12 PM
JC:

You really need to stay off the drugs man, they'll mess with you mind.

Lip

Jjav829
12-12-2003, 11:51 PM
First time I've seen anything about this. This came from the bottom of an article by AP baseball writer, Ben Walker.

``We tried to force it along,'' Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi said. ``We didn't want it to linger and linger and have other teams get involved.''

The Mets and the Chicago White Sox had been interested in Batista. The 32-year-old right-hander becomes the No. 2 starter on a Toronto team that has finished third in the AL East for six straight years behind New York and Boston.

``Pitching against the Red Sox and Yankees, he stated, was real important to him,'' Ricciardi said.

Edit: Ok, so I can't get a working link for some reason, but it's posted on Yahoo sports MLB page.

MHOUSE
12-13-2003, 01:13 AM
Batista got 3 years $13.50? million dollars. It was something like that. It seems like a pretty high total for a guy with an ok ERA in the NL and a less than .500 career win total IIRC. I'd say $3 million per TOPS. I'm glad the Sox didn't overpay.

Lip Man 1
12-13-2003, 02:33 PM
No disrespect towards you Millhouse but you (and many others) keep stating that they are glad the Sox didn't overpay for (insert name here).

But the bottom line is that others teams ARE willing to do it (right or wrong) and are getting those same players.

Their comes a point in time where if you want a certain player or if you want to fill particular areas, that you have to bite the bullett.

It was interesting that on another thread someone posted a piece of a published story that stated that the "White Sox are getting desperate," (it came for a source in MLB).

That's what happens when you stand fast to fiscal responsibility when others teams are trying to win.

I'm not necessarily attacking the Sox for this (even though I think it's short sighted), I give then credit for sticking to their beliefs but then I also think the fans have the same right to stick to their beliefs, if the Sox aren't trying to win, they aren't obligated to support them in person.

Lip

HawkDJ
12-13-2003, 03:20 PM
This hasn't been posted yet?

Williams said he was very close to signing free-agent starting pitcher Miguel Batista, who was 10-9 with a 3.54 ERA for the Diamondbacks last season.

The Sox offered Batista a two-year deal, but the right-hander accepted a three-year, $13.1 million contract from the Blue Jays on Friday.

SoxxoS
12-13-2003, 04:08 PM
There is no "overpaying" in the supply and demand market. For example, if a team is willing to spend 15 million a year on Tony Graffanino, that is there perogative. There is a reason why they would do that.

There is no such thing as "overpaying" at the time of the signed contract.