PDA

View Full Version : View from A Sox Fan - Tribune

Lip Man 1
12-11-2003, 09:25 PM
This week's "View From A Sox Fan," in the Tribune today is one of the better pieces I have seen in this genre. The writer is a fan living in Las Vegas. He caps off his story with a 'Top 10' list of Sox marketing slogans for 2004. Here is his list...

10. These kids can play (again).

9. Be there when Frank breaks the major league record for consecutive games without a hit to the opposite field.

8. Our best shortstop this year is also our manager.

7. Stop by we're right off the expressway.

6. The Twins lost more players than we did.

5. From the upper deck, Danny Wright looks like Andy Pettitte.

4. Be part of something special this could be the year we draw more fans than the Schaumburg Flyers.

3. Come out and see future Yankee stars today.

2. You don't need a drug test to tell that our players are not on steroids come see for yourself.

And the No. 1 2004 White Sox marketing campaign idea:

1. Plenty of good seats still available.

I recommend reading the story.

Lip

Hokiesox
12-12-2003, 08:28 AM
:) :D: :D: :D:

Funniest thing I've read in a while. The marketing slogans, at least.

ewokpelts
12-12-2003, 12:43 PM
link?

Iwritecode
12-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
link?

This guy sound like he should post here... (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031210soxfanview,1,7140336.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

delben91
12-12-2003, 01:38 PM
#5 and #3 are my personal favorites. Hilarious. :D:

Kilroy
12-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Sounds like more of the same Tribune, Sox-bashing tripe. Don't know why any of us should enjoy reading that. It kinda pisses me off...

Iwritecode
12-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Sounds like more of the same Tribune, Sox-bashing tripe. Don't know why any of us should enjoy reading that. It kinda pisses me off...

Did you read the whole article or are you just talking about the slogans?

I've seen similiar comments made in the article (as well as the slogans) posted here.

Kilroy
12-12-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Did you read the whole article or are you just talking about the slogans?

I've seen similiar comments made in the article (as well as the slogans) posted here.

I didn't read it. The slogans weren't funny (imo), and I don't need a "fan's" perspective in the paper. When we do it here, its one thing, but if the tables were reversed, do you think they'd print the same if it were about the Cubs? Not a chance in hell.

But, since its about the Sox, not even Sox fans will mind this item. They agree! Put it in the paper and it does the job they're always trying to do. Take any opportunity to put the Sox further down. Keep Sox negativity in people's consciousness.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-12-2003, 03:55 PM
I don't see why we would get too bent out of shape over the article. If someone were to come here and read the posts, they would largely get the same thing.

And although the Trib would not print something like that on the Cubs, they actually are getting ripped in some press outlets for NOT SPENDING ENOUGH!!! I know it has been mentioned in other threads here, and I heard it again on the Boers & Bernstein show this afternoon. Bernstein was ripping the Cubs by saying that they should not have a budgeted balance due to the reams of cash they haul in.