PDA

View Full Version : Sox payroll breakdown

MRKARNO
12-11-2003, 05:23 PM
I decided to just calculate myself what the payroll will be for next year as it stands and here's what I got:

2004:

Buehrle 3.5 mil
Loaiza 4 mil
Thomas 6 mil
Koch 6.375 Mil
Konerko 8 mil
Ordonez 14 mil
Uribe .3 mil
Marte .3 mil
C. Lee About 6 mil
Garland 2.3 mil
Wright .5 mil
Alomar .7 mil
Olivo .3 mil
Crede .3 mil
Valentin 5 Mil
Rowand .3 mil
Schoenweis about 1 mil
Wunsch about .5 mil
Harris .3 mil
6 other minor leaguers: 2 mil

54.775 mil

Carlos, Wunsch and Shoenweis's salary is an estimate as they are the only 3 players that are arbitrations. So yeah we would only have about 3 mil to work with as it stands now which can get a lot more than it could 2 years ago so if the sox could trade either THomas or Konerko for pitching they'd be in good shape even with the lowered payroll

edit:
2005:

Thomas (if he takes the option): 8 mil
Buehrle 5.5 Mil
Konerko 8.5 mil

We only have 22 mil on the payroll for 2005 so we might see a much different team between 2004 and 2005, hopefully if these prices stay low then it will be for the better

BeerHandle
12-11-2003, 05:29 PM
I have read a few posts and articles that say a few teams have an interest in Valentin. That would be great to move his .230 average and $5 mil salary!!!

hold2dibber
12-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I have read a few posts and articles that say a few teams have an interest in Valentin. That would be great to move his .230 average and $5 mil salary!!!

The problem with that is the Sox don't have anyone else to play SS. You'll be pining for the good ol' days of Valentin when Uribe hits .207 with a .285 OBP, 1 HR and 30 RBIs.

hold2dibber
12-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I decided to just calculate myself what the payroll will be for next year as it stands and here's what I got:

2004:

Buehrle 3.5 mil
Loaiza 4 mil
Thomas 6 mil
Koch 6.375 Mil
Konerko 8 mil
Ordonez 14 mil
Uribe .3 mil
Marte .3 mil
C. Lee About 6 mil
Garland 2.3 mil
Wright .5 mil
Alomar .7 mil
Olivo .3 mil
Crede .3 mil
Valentin 5 Mil
Rowand .3 mil
Schoenweis about 1 mil
Wunsch about .5 mil
Harris .3 mil
6 other minor leaguers: 2 mil

54.775 mil

I think you're about right - although I think Schoenweiss, Marte and Wunsch will all get approx. $500,000 more than you estimate (leaving the Sox only $1.5 mm to work with).

And I think the roster above is a .500 team (maybe worse). They are in desparate need of either a 2B or a CF and at least one good starter and one dependable right handed reliever. Also, a left handed stick off the bench would be nice.

MRKARNO
12-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle

There aren't many other great offensive Shortstops that the sox could afford. They are all overpriced because outside of Nomar, Jeter, Arod, Tejada and Renteria, there arent many great ones. The fact is that Valentin's 28 homers was tied at second with Nomar among all ML shortstops and he was behind only Arod. His HR total was higher than Tejada. I think if Valentin hit those homers along with batting .267 instead of .237 that you'd appreciate him more.

MRKARNO
12-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I think you're about right - although I think Schoenweiss, Marte and Wunsch will all get approx. $500,000 more than you estimate (leaving the Sox only $1.5 mm to work with).

And I think the roster above is a .500 team (maybe worse). They are in desparate need of either a 2B or a CF and at least one good starter and one dependable right handed reliever. Also, a left handed stick off the bench would be nice.

Yeah. Schoenweis is making 1.5 so that was a mistake on my part. He might get 2-3 if the sox dont have 5 other solid starters by the arbitration date if they go there. Wunsch will probably get at least 1 mil bc of his ERA despite very few innings and Marte isnt eligible for arbitration I believe.

Well isnt this just great

Frater Perdurabo
12-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
There aren't many other great offensive Shortstops that the sox could afford. They are all overpriced because outside of Nomar, Jeter, Arod, Tejada and Renteria, there arent many great ones. The fact is that Valentin's 28 homers was tied at second with Nomar among all ML shortstops and he was behind only Arod. His HR total was higher than Tejada. I think if Valentin hit those homers along with batting .267 instead of .237 that you'd appreciate him more.

Would he hit .267 and as many homers if he batted left-handed exclusively?

If so, would be be willing to bat left-handed only for the good of the team?

If not, do we want him on the Sox? Should KW and Ozzie?