MHOUSE
12-11-2003, 04:46 PM
ummm...what? link?

doublem23
12-11-2003, 04:46 PM
Ahhh... Crap for crap.

jeremyb1
12-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Hmm. Their salaries are about even. I'd probably go for it.

FanOf14
12-11-2003, 04:53 PM
I don't know if I like that trade. Weaver isn't all that.

MHOUSE
12-11-2003, 05:02 PM
I think they both have an equal chance of turning around their 2003 numbers. But I think Weaver can help us more than Konerko can assuming they both do better. We have enough slow guys who swing for the fences. Plus he has that hip problem.....If this happens, I'd be in favor.

BeerHandle
12-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Where is this coming from? Article, link, Gammon the incorrect?

kittle42
12-11-2003, 05:15 PM
I'd try to get Perez first (which I assume has already fallen through), but I would make that trade for Weaver.

joecrede
12-11-2003, 05:18 PM
I'd do this trade. I'd try to get the Dodgers to pick up part of Weaver's salary though since it was reported that the Yankees included cash in the deal for Brown.

Maggs then goes to the Angels for K-Rod. :smile:

Rotation:

Buehrle
K-Rod
Loaiza
Weaver
Garland

hold2dibber
12-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I'd do this trade. I'd try to get the Dodgers to pick up part of Weaver's salary though since it was reported that the Yankees included cash in the deal for Brown.

Rotation:

Buehrle
K-Rod
Loaiza
Weaver
Garland

I've never heard anyone suggest that Rodriquez might be a starter - I've always heard his name as Percival's eventual replacement as the Angels' closer. Do you know something I don't?

MHOUSE
12-11-2003, 05:29 PM
K-Rod is a reliever.

Loaiza
Buehrle
Ponson?
Garland
Weaver

It's an upgrade at the 5th spot, but we need someone better for the #3 slot ahead of Garland. Garland is a very good 4th or 5th starter.

ScottyTheSoxFan
12-11-2003, 05:35 PM

Rotation:

Buehrle
K-Rod
Loaiza
Weaver
Garland

you want to trade maggs for a reliever, albeit a decent one. no. not one for one. we need alot more

joecrede
12-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I've never heard anyone suggest that Rodriquez might be a starter - I've always heard his name as Percival's eventual replacement as the Angels' closer. Do you know something I don't?

K-Rod was a starter in the minors. He didn't have the success as a starter he's had as a reliever, but he was very young (still just 21). Great arm, I'd love to see him get the opportunity to start (with the Sox :D:).

joecrede
12-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
you want to trade maggs for a reliever, albeit a decent one. no. not one for one. we need alot more

What would you say if moving Maggs meant they had enough money to sign Tejada and Guerrero? Longshot they could free up enough money to do that, but you get the point . . .

RichH55
12-11-2003, 05:42 PM
What would you say if moving Maggs meant they had enough money to sign Tejada and Guerrero? Longshot they could free up enough money to do that, but you get the point . . .

Flat out nonsense

I defend things...but at worst Vlad will cost more than Mags(maybe only 1 or 2 million more a year)....but moving Mags simply couldnt clear enough payroll to sign Vlad alone...LET ALONE Tejada

joecrede
12-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Flat out nonsense

I defend things...but at worst Vlad will cost more than Mags(maybe only 1 or 2 million more a year)....but moving Mags simply couldnt clear enough payroll to sign Vlad alone...LET ALONE Tejada

I mistakenly wrote that moving Maggs could mean adding Tejada and Gurerro. What I should have said was moving Maggs could be part of a series of manuevers that would free up enough cash to sign Tejada and Vlad. It's a real longshot though.

Konerko/Valentin-for-Weaver, Sox save $7M
Lee/Koch-for-Weathers, Sox save $3M
Ordonez-for-K-Rod, Sox save $13.5M

Sox save $23.5M

Vlad $15M per
Tejada 9M per

Like I said ... longshot.

RichH55
12-11-2003, 06:15 PM
I mistakenly wrote that moving Maggs could mean adding Tejada and Gurerro. What I should have said was moving Maggs could be part of a series of manuevers that would free up enough cash to sign Tejada and Vlad. It's a real longshot though.

Konerko/Valentin-for-Weaver, Sox save $7M
Lee/Koch-for-Weathers, Sox save $3M
Ordonez-for-K-Rod, Sox save $13.5M

Sox save $23.5M

Vlad $15M per
Tejada 9M per

Like I said ... longshot.

Well then I will retract my "flat out nonsense line" :)

Still a longshot....

rahulsekhar
12-11-2003, 06:40 PM
Anyone know the difference in contracts between Koney & Weaver? I doubt we can get the Dodgers to take Val's $$ off our hands as well as Koney's(unless they somehow covet him as their SS).

In a straight Kone-Weaver swap, how do the salaries line up? Does that save us enough to keep Maggs or fill other holes?

WWIII
12-11-2003, 07:01 PM
I believe both are due $18.75 million over the next two years, but it looks like the Yanks have agreed to paying $3 million towards Weaver's sum total as part of the Kevin Brown deal. I can't point to a link, but I believe I read this on mlb.com and espn.com.

Paulwny
12-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by WWIII
I believe both are due $18.75 million over the next two years, but it looks like the Yanks have agreed to paying $3 million towards Weaver's sum total as part of the Kevin Brown deal. I can't point to a link, but I believe I read this on mlb.com and espn.com.

From Newsday:

The Yankees will also send $3 million to the Dodgers to compensate for Weaver's salary. Brown will make $15 million in 2003 and 2004. Weaver is set to make $6.25 million in 2003 and $9.25 million in 2004. The Yankees will pay $1.5 million each year to the Dodgers for the term of Weaver's contract.

joecrede
12-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Per ESPN Radio, there's a rumor that Weaver could go to STL for Drew. If that happens, the Sox are going to have to look at more "creative" ways to rid themselves of Konerko.

poorme
12-11-2003, 08:36 PM
With Guillen saying Thomas will be DH, Daubach gone, and Konerko traded, who's on first?

Daver
12-11-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by poorme
With Guillen saying Thomas will be DH, Daubach gone, and Konerko traded, who's on first?

What's on second?

:)

Jjav829
12-11-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Daver
What's on second?

:)

He can't be any worse than Willie Harris. :smile:

JC456
12-12-2003, 01:06 AM
Per ESPN Radio, there's a rumor that Weaver could go to STL for Drew. If that happens, the Sox are going to have to look at more "creative" ways to rid themselves of Konerko.

When you make the GM level maybe then he'd be gone. Until then you are just annoying.

lowesox
12-12-2003, 01:14 AM
Ugh. I don't want to hear any more of this Weaver talk. The last thing this team needs is a player we expect to be a disapointment.

Incidentally. I would be surprised if Konerko doesn't rebound next year. I would be even more surprised if Weaver does.