PDA

View Full Version : Mike Downey


MarqSox
12-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Has this guy EVER written anything the least bit insightful? Seriously, I can't think of a single thing. If you're going to blabber without lending any original ideas, at least be controversial about it ...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-031210downey,1,4894748.column?coll=cs-home-utility

doublem23
12-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Mike Downey sucks major (VC EDIT: Ahem... nice try, but if the one that rhymes with Brass Mole won't make it past the language filters, why would you think that one would be allowed?) (a million points if you can name the reference).

:)

pudge
12-11-2003, 03:52 PM
No joke dude, that was worse than a Slezak piece.

Foulke You
12-11-2003, 04:06 PM
What exactly was the point of that article? Can you say filler piece? He must have wrote it while sitting on the bowl at Wendy's.

Unregistered
12-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
What exactly was the point of that article? Can you say filler piece? He must have wrote it while sitting on the bowl at Wendy's. I guess it's a departure from his "Cubs only" fluff pieces. Who was it that was going on and on about what a diehard Sox fan this guy is? I'm just not seeing it...

Between this tripe and Fred Mitchell's worthless hard-hitting Q & A columns, the 'bune is coming in a close second to "StreetWise" in Sports journalism relevancy.

Mammoo
12-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Hey, don't ya listen to those commercials...

"There's a passion in Mike Downey...."

My God! :?:

owensmouth
12-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Personally, I like to read Downey. I've enjoyed his articles for the past ten years or more. But keep one thing in mind, whether it's Mike Downey or that cabal of idiots in the Sun-Times, or for that matter anywhere else. Their job isn't to come up with ideas to improve the Sox. Their job is to sell newspapers. If they can pat you on the back and get you to buy, they've done their job. If it takes a hot poker to your butt to get you to buy, so be it. If the Sox or and other team actually tried to follow their suggestions, then we'd really be in trouble.

MarqSox
12-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by owensmouth
Their job isn't to come up with ideas to improve the Sox. Their job is to sell newspapers. If they can pat you on the back and get you to buy, they've done their job. If it takes a hot poker to your butt to get you to buy, so be it.
I would be shocked if there's 100 people in Chicago that pick up the Tribune because they're looking forward to the next Mike Downey column.

Frater Perdurabo
12-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Has this guy EVER written anything the least bit insightful? Seriously, I can't think of a single thing. If you're going to blabber without lending any original ideas, at least be controversial about it ...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-031210downey,1,4894748.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Agreed. Complete lack of any insight whatsoever.