12-11-2003, 02:21 PM
3 years $18 million! More news coming.

bobj4400
heard on the score

DrCrawdad
$18 million 3 years.

Interesting to that this round of negiotations went on under the radar of the local scribes.

minastirith67
12-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Isn't he a big Cardinals fan? So why did he not wait for St. Louis to call?

Tekijawa
12-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67

This will take him throught the end of his arbitration years and then off to St. Louis...

Jjav829
12-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67

Because he wasn't a Free Agent and if St. Louis called that would be tampering. This was an extension to basically avoid arbitration. Its interesting if some of the reports of him only receiving about $4 million in arbitration are true. It seems like a good signing though. Hes now locked up for three years without having to worry about arbitration. I didn't hear closely but I thought George Offman reported something about an option. I'm not sure if that option was for a 4th year or if it was a bonus.

Tekijawa
12-11-2003, 02:30 PM
Team option for the 4th year...

I would imagine that a lot of the money is defferred.

Jjav829
12-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Well hey, at least we've done something now, right? I'm kind of surprised at the timing of it because I figured KW would be busy going to New Orleans and preparing for the winter meetings. I didn't think there would be any Sox news today.

You think Buehrle regrets turning down that contract last offseason now? What was in, like 5 years $27 million?

Hangar18
12-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Buehrle gets 3M in 2004, 5M in 2005, and 7M in 2006, with CLUB Option of 9M in 2007.

Which means Buehrle will be Traded after the 2005 Season.
In 2005, the SOX will moan and groan about how they cant
afford to pay guys 7 Million.

Jjav829
12-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Buehrle gets 3M in 2004, 5M in 2005, and 7M in 2006, with CLUB Option of 9M in 2007.

Which means Buehrle will be Traded after the 2005 Season.
In 2005, the SOX will moan and groan about how they cant
afford to pay guys 7 Million.

That doesn't add up to $18 million in 3 years. Where did you get this from? Or are you joking?

Jjav829
12-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Ahh ok, heres the splits.

Buehrle will receive $3.5 million in 2004, $5.75 million in 2005 and $7.75 million in 2006. The Sox hold an option at $9.5 million with a $1 million buyout for 2007.

Good job by Rick Hahn getting this done. Unfortunately I don't see the Sox picking up the option for 2007 but hell, who knows, we can worry about that in two years.

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031211soxbuehrle,1,778735.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

jabrch
12-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Finally some good news. No worries about Buehrle's contract for a while. And a 9.5mm option for us is fairly cheap for his first year of FA.

Well done folks. That's a step in the right direction!

Hangar18
12-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
That doesn't add up to $18 million in 3 years. Where did you get this from? Or are you joking?

I didnt put in the .5's, heh heh sorry

Foulke You
12-11-2003, 02:52 PM
What's this? Positive Sox news? Anyone think that they rushed to get this deal done just to get some positive PR out there? In any case, I'm not complaining. I'm happy Buehrle will be around for at least a couple more years. :gulp:

wilburaga
All the teams seem to be avoiding arbitration at all costs. Baseball's arbiters may go the way of the Maytag repairman.

W

pudge
Considering we only have like 2 players signed for 2005, we should be able to afford his 05 and 06 salary. I doubt we'd keep him at $9.5 in 07, but heck, who cares at this point. Nice to see this get done.

Risk
12-11-2003, 02:54 PM
Not to say that I have much faith in reasoning of the GM, but this is a good signing. I'm just kind of surprised though that no one had really even discussed this as a possible deal in the off-season. I wonder if something else is up KW's sleave???

(Probably not, but its good to think)

Risk

lowesox
12-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Hey Congrats Kenny on dislodging your head from your ass.

Keep going.

Dick Allen
12-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Now how soon does he blow out his arm? :D:
(Just kidding, people)

Rocky Soprano
12-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Finally some good news!

Congrats to Mark!

kermittheefrog
12-11-2003, 03:22 PM
I can't really see Buehrle being worth the money on that option in 2007.

Mammoo
12-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Good move by the Sox. This locks up a good pitcher and puts to rest all the will-he-stay-will-he-go rumor-mongering for a while! :gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
12-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
Now how soon does he blow out his arm? :D:
(Just kidding, people)
Or suffer a torn labrum! :?:

Seriously, good signing and good job eliminating an annual distraction.

34 Inch Stick
12-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

A few more 17-20 win seasons with good ERA's would change that.

I think it is important in that it shows that, regardless of this Cardinal statements, he does feel some loyalty towards the Sox. One of the reasons I had no problem with people booing him last year was his apparent disloyalty. I no longer consider him a Cardinal prospect.

hold2dibber
12-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
A few more 17-20 win seasons with good ERA's would change that.

I think it is important in that it shows that, regardless of this Cardinal statements, he does feel some loyalty towards the Sox. One of the reasons I had no problem with people booing him last year was his apparent disloyalty. I no longer consider him a Cardinal prospect.

Why? The only thing that has changed is that the Sox have an option for '07. We already knew he was Sox property through '06 anyway.

jeremyb1
12-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Yeah, the option bothers me the most. I don't know whether teams always lose the right to negotiate with players if they decline team options but it seems unless teams pick up the option, the player is rarely resigned. It seems to me that a large option like that on a club that doesn't have a huge payroll leads to losing the player more often that keeping the player. Hopefully that won't be the case here.

voodoochile
12-11-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Yeah, the option bothers me the most. I don't know whether teams always lose the right to negotiate with players if they decline team options but it seems unless teams pick up the option, the player is rarely resigned. It seems to me that a large option like that on a club that doesn't have a huge payroll leads to losing the player more often that keeping the player. Hopefully that won't be the case here.

It's actually an incentive for a big market club to take him in trade during 2006 or after 2005. No, the Sox don't budget themselves for that kind of money, for a starting pitcher, but other teams have no problem with those figures.

Interesting that by then JR's new money extracting cable station will be well established and they should be making more money than ever. Hopefully that translates to higher payroll figures too...

cheeses_h_rice
12-11-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Interesting that by then JR's new money extracting cable station will be well established and they should be making more money than ever. Hopefully that translates to higher payroll figures too...

Deeppink is your friend, Voodoo...

:)

RichH55
12-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

Keep going.

Nice to see the level of discourse so high on the boards.....He made a good move...simply give credit where credit is due and move on...When he makes a bad move, or fails to make another move that is plausible, go ahead and give it to him with both barrels, but until then give some credit...hell use a golf clap for all I care

DirtySouthsider
12-11-2003, 04:21 PM
It's crazy that some people are already worried whether they'll pick up the option in 2007 ?! I guess some people are just born to worry and complain.

MHOUSE
12-11-2003, 04:32 PM
This is the first good news we've had all offseason. I like that we can hang onto him for three more years before he goes to St. Louis. I'm thinking unless we make the playoffs in '04 or '05 then he'll be dealt before or during the 2006 season and unless he wins 20 games or something the Sox won't pay him $9 million in the fourth option year. Glad to have you Mark, but it's kind of bittersweet knowing this is it for him.....

idseer
12-11-2003, 04:36 PM
more than anything i hope it means he'll be a little more comfortable at the start of the season and pitch like he can.
i thought the money situation with himm last yaer had a lot to do with his poor start.

doublem23
12-11-2003, 04:41 PM
Every idiot in the Tribune is wondering how he didn't sign with St. Louis.

jeremyb1
12-11-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
It's crazy that some people are already worried whether they'll pick up the option in 2007 ?! I guess some people are just born to worry and complain.

Well, I'm glad we signed him to a reasonable deal but its not the huge coup some people are making it out to be. We already have his rights through '06. He wasn't going anywhere unless we non-tendered him for some reason.

Dub25
12-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Finally something to drink to. This may sound stupid but does anyone think Daubach release yesterday was to clear money for Buehrle? Daubach didn't make anything but this is a penny pinching organization.

SluggersAway
12-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Dont bag on Kermit and his thoughts on 2007.

There is nothing wrong with forward-looking time preference.

It is the hallmark of the succesful entrepreneur.

http://aubreyherbert.blogspot.com

StillMissOzzie
12-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Why? The only thing that has changed is that the Sox have an option for '07. We already knew he was Sox property through '06 anyway.

Yes, he was locked up via arbitration for 3 more years anyhow, but now we don't have to listen to the whining and posturing by both sides ala the Jack McDowell era, when each year of arbitration was like pulling teeth, also pushing Jack out the door at his first FA opportunity.

As for the 2007 option, I think we've got enough to worry about for 2004 to make the distant future immaterial.

And maybe the big $$$ offer he got, and turned down, was a distraction last year. We can only hope...

SMO
:gulp:

RedPinStripes
12-11-2003, 05:58 PM
It's about damn time. Good job Sox. 2 positive moves in 2 days. :gulp:

owensmouth
12-11-2003, 06:00 PM
For once something that KW does in the off season doesn't send chills down my back. I've liked the way Burhle pitches since the first time he threw in Minnesota. He started off badly last year, but I think he'll bounce back to the 18-20 win level. If he keeps that up, the 9 mil in the 4th year will be chicken feed.

LauraJ14
12-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Wow, Buherle will be making more than Barry Zito in 2004.

soxfan26
12-11-2003, 07:47 PM
YESSSSS!!!!

Way to go Sox!!

Congrats to Mark!

Finally some GOOD news...

Lip Man 1
12-11-2003, 08:30 PM
I'm shocked that Mark agreed to this but it's good news for the Sox at least in the short term.

And remember a young pitcher with a reasonable (for the rest of MLB) salary breakdown with potentially four years on a deal is PRIME trade bait the first season (perhaps this July?) the Sox decide to back up the truck (again...)

Lip

Jjav829
12-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm shocked that Mark agreed to this but it's good news for the Sox at least in the short term.

And remember a young pitcher with a reasonable (for the rest of MLB) salary breakdown with potentially four years on a deal is PRIME trade bait the first season (perhaps this July?) the Sox decide to back up the truck (again...)

Lip

Ahh, always nice of Lip to keep the thread positive. I guess it was only a matter of time before Lip got to this thread.

Brian26
12-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Yes, he was locked up via arbitration for 3 more years anyhow, but now we don't have to listen to the whining and posturing by both sides ala the Jack McDowell era

Just to make sure I understand, wasn't Buehrle locked up through the end of the 2005 season by the Sox? Now he's locked up through at least 2006, with a club option for 2007. Is that correct?

MarkV
12-11-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Just to make sure I understand, wasn't Buehrle locked up through the end of the 2005 season by the Sox? Now he's locked up through at least 2006, with a club option for 2007. Is that correct?

Yes, that's right.

In two years, he'll be the most underpayed pitcher in baseball. Great contract, Kenny! You've finally done something that makes sense. Now, find a creative way to get Magglio locked up for the next few years so we can put an end to this trade talk. :smile:

duke of dorwood
12-11-2003, 10:00 PM
This is very nice-arbitration is just mediated name calling. Anytime you can avoid that and avoid alienating a top player, its a great day.

steff
12-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

Keep going.

Kenny's out of town.. he had nothing to do with this deal.

RedPinStripes
12-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by steff

When it comes down to money with a player that's already here, he'll never have anything to do with it.

:reinsy
"Dont **** with my money".

Brian26
12-11-2003, 11:44 PM

So what are you saying? JR took care of this deal? Or did Rick Hahn? Don't make us read between the lines, Stef!

:D:

steff
12-12-2003, 06:01 AM
So what are you saying? JR took care of this deal? Or did Rick Hahn? Don't make us read between the lines, Stef!

:D:

I'd say the odds are 98% that Rick set the table, JR agreed to the deal, and that's that. Kenny screwed with Mark last year, and Mark's been open about not having any love loss for him.

idseer
12-12-2003, 09:10 AM
any bets mark signed this because of last year's performance? it may have scared him that he turned down all that money then discovered maybe he wasn't as great as his press clippings. the feeling this time around may have been .. "i better take this now and get outta town".

Hangar18
12-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Say, I dont know if this has been Asked already,
but doesnt he lose some $$$$ because he turned down
last yrs deal?

Brian26
12-12-2003, 10:11 AM
I'd say the odds are 98% that Rick set the table, JR agreed to the deal, and that's that. Kenny screwed with Mark last year, and Mark's been open about not having any love loss for him.

Thanks Steff. I actually just read about Hahn taking care of it in the paper this morning before I got to work. Once again, your sources are 100% correct.

Jjav829
12-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Thanks Steff. I actually just read about Hahn taking care of it in the paper this morning before I got to work. Once again, your sources are 100% correct.

The thing about Rick Hahn getting it done was listed immediately after the deal was announced yesterday. Kenny gave credit to Rick and Mark's agent for getting the deal done. There wasn't really any question about who was involved.

Lip Man 1
12-12-2003, 01:06 PM
Jjav says: Ahh, always nice of Lip to keep the thread positive. I guess it was only a matter of time before Lip got to this thread.

Jjav these are the White Sox we're talking about. If (when) things go south you can bet your ass they'll be thinking about this fact and more importantly that other teams will be thinking about it even more.

As other have already stated on this thread, unless a new owner is in place by 2007 there is no way the Sox pick up that large amount of money for a pitcher who will have already thrown seven years in MLB.

Sorry... that's the way the business works.

Lip

Hangar18
12-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Jjav says: Ahh, always nice of Lip to keep the thread positive. I guess it was only a matter of time before Lip got to this thread.

Jjav these are the White Sox we're talking about. If (when) things go south you can bet your ass they'll be thinking about this fact and more importantly that other teams will be thinking about it even more.

As other have already stated on this thread, unless a new owner is in place by 2007 there is no way the Sox pick up that large amount of money for a pitcher who will have already thrown seven years in MLB.

Sorry... that's the way the business works.

Lip

Im one of those people that stated Mark Buehrle WONT be here
after the 2005 Season. We essentially have MB for 2 seasons.
Lets see what we can accomplish in 2 yrs .............

joecrede
12-12-2003, 01:56 PM
I think it's putting the cart way before the horse to believe that Buehrle will be worth his '06 salary much less his '07 option.

brlysgrl56
12-12-2003, 05:45 PM
FINALLY!!!

Now I don't have to cry about Buehrle's $$$ at Sox Fest.

Cye

Lip Man 1
12-12-2003, 07:00 PM
Joe:

"Worth," is in the eye of the beholder. Other teams seem historically to have had a higher worth for Sox players then the Sox themselves at least for the last 15 years or so, including this year.

Maybe the Sox need to reevaluate their definition of "worth" to be more in line to what the majority of other baseball teams think it is?

Lip

joecrede
12-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Joe:

"Worth," is in the eye of the beholder. Other teams seem historically to have had a higher worth for Sox players then the Sox themselves at least for the last 15 years or so, including this year.

Maybe the Sox need to reevaluate their definition of "worth" to be more in line to what the majority of other baseball teams think it is?

Lip

Hard to argue the Sox track record when it comes to assessing the value of their own free-agents over the years Lip.

RichH55
12-12-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Hard to argue the Sox track record when it comes to assessing the value of their own free-agents over the years Lip.

But the truth doesnt let Lip bitch

LoveTheSox
12-13-2003, 12:46 AM
I, for one, am very happy :D: about this. Finally a good move by the Sox in the offseason! Let's hope this is the start of bigger things to come.