PDA

View Full Version : Comparing past and present

Palehose13
12-11-2003, 12:24 PM
I know that many Sox fans are anxious for some deals or signings to be made to improve the current club, but does anyone remember this group of names?

Durham, Clayton, Valentin, Thomas (back from injury), Lofton Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, Liefer, Paul, Johnson, Alomar Jr, Buerhle, Foulke, Garland, Ginter, Barcelo, Biddle, Osuna, Porzio, Parque, Rauch, RITCHIE, Wright, Wunsch.

The guys listed above won 81 games for the Chicago White Sox in 2002. I am as anxious as everyone else, but after looking at this list and what they did I think the current team could easily win 81. I know that 81 isn't what we want, but I have to say that I may agree with KW and a major overhaul is not needed. I think if a few holes are filled (1SP, pen, CF and/or 2B) the Sox could be contenders in 2004.

DirtySouthsider
12-11-2003, 12:50 PM
I agree. Things are not as bad as some are making out to be. The Sox still have some talent on thier roster.....especially compared to the rest of thier division.......I have to believe that Twins fans are closer to jumping of the ledge then we are.

Plus we have a new manager and a lot of time left in the off season.......I guarantee that there will be some moves made by the Sox.

Don't make the mistake of confusing activity with accomplishment. The Sox just need some minor tinkering (sorry for the reference) with there roster and they could be a very good team....assuming thier current roster plays to thier potential .....and some playing above thier potential.

Palehose13
12-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
Don't make the mistake of confusing activity with accomplishment. The Sox just need some minor tinkering (sorry for the reference) with there roster and they could be a very good team....assuming thier current roster plays to thier potential .....and some playing above thier potential.

Great point. Obviously something is going on because Buerhle just signed, but some people are already seeing negatives about that! I guess some people need something to bitch about. :?:

I'll wait til January to start worrying...

Jjav829
12-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Great point. Obviously something is going on because Buerhle just signed, but some people are already seeing negatives about that! I guess some people need something to bitch about. :?:

I'll wait til January to start worrying...

Who is being negative? I just read the whole thread and again and it seemed pretty postitive. Everyone seemed to agree that this was a good move. Where did you see negatives about Buehrle? :?:

Hokiesox
12-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Who is being negative? I just read the whole thread and again and it seemed pretty postitive. Everyone seemed to agree that this was a good move. Where did you see negatives about Buehrle? :?:

Read every other thread on the board these days.

I think he was referring to the board as a whole.

Jjav829
12-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Read every other thread on the board these days.

I wasn't referring to that. He said that some people are already being negative about the Buehrle signing. I haven't seen anything negative about the Buehrle signing, that's why I asked. I know nearly every other thread is negative.

Palehose13
12-11-2003, 03:22 PM
I knew that was the way to get this thread going!!! :gulp:

Nothing too negative about the Buerhle thread, just some mentions of him getting traded in two years or not picking up his option instead of just being happy to avoid arbitration for the next three years.

Jjav829
12-11-2003, 03:26 PM
I knew that was the way to get this thread going!!! :gulp:

Nothing too negative about the Buerhle thread, just some mentions of him getting traded in two years or not ;icking up his option instead of just being happy to avoid arbitration for the next three years.

Hey, like I said, I don't think they'll may him $9.5 million, but I also said who knows and that I'm just happy to have him signed. We can worry about his option being picked up in 2 years. Who knows what the Sox situation will be like then? Maybe we will have won the World Series behind Mark Buehrle at some point during the three years hes signed for and picking up his option will be an obvious decision.

Sorry if that sounded negative. I wasn't trying to sound negative. We have enough negativity around here. I'm thoroughly happy with the signing and hope it is only the first of many good moves over the next few days/weeks.

Palehose13
12-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Sorry if that sounded negative. I wasn't trying to sound negative. We have enough negativity around here. I'm thoroughly happy with the signing and hope it is only the first of many good moves over the next few days/weeks.

You have nothing to be sorry about. Like I siad, it was a little baited to get the thread going. I think I brought up something good comparing 2002 to the possible 2004 team...something to maybe make some hopeful. Unfortunately, positive thoughts tend to get ignored. I thought I would at least get someone to say that 2004 as it is looks worse than 2002.

btw...I know what teal means...what does pink mean? Wishful thinking?

Jjav829
12-11-2003, 03:31 PM
btw...I know what teal means...what does pink mean? Wishful thinking?

Correct. :gulp: