PDA

View Full Version : Pettitte to Stros...Weaver, Frank, Brown

BeerHandle
12-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Pettitte signs with the Stros. Now the Yankees are looking to do a straight up trade with LA. Weaver - Brown. There isn't any mention of Frank in this deal. Was the great Gammons wrong again? Of course.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/baseball/mlb/12/11/pettitte.astros.ap/?cnn=yes

cheeses_h_rice
12-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Those poor Yankee fans.

BeerHandle
12-11-2003, 12:13 PM
The fans might be poor, but not the owner. However, they did lose one of the most consistent winners in baseball and are trying to get an almost over the hill starter that has a high salary!!

Pettitte, 31, went 149-78 with the Yankees.

jabrch
12-11-2003, 12:15 PM
The Dodgers big need is still offense. Unless the plan is to move KB for Weaver to free up money to go for 2 of Tejada/Vlad/Pudge, I don't see why they would do this.

It would suck to be Baltimore, Toronto or Tampa. With all the arms being stockpiled in Boston and NYY and the imbalanced schedules, those teams are going to get slaughtered. If Balt gets one or two of the FAs they are trying to get and Toronoto comes back as is, next year's D-Rays could have one of the worst records in baseball.

jabrch
12-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
The fans might be poop, but not the owner. However, they did lose one of the most consistent winners in baseball and are trying to get an almost over the hill starter that has a high salary!!

Pettitte, 31, went 149-78 with the Yankees.

Brown would be their #3....poor Yankees...

Mussina
Vazquez
Brown
Contreras
Wells

My heart bleeds for them.

vs Boston

Pedro
Schilling
Lowe
Wakefield
Kim

Damn....

BeerHandle
12-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
The Dodgers big need is still offense. Unless the plan is to move KB for Weaver to free up money to go for 2 of Tejada/Vlad/Pudge, I don't see why they would do this.

It would suck to be Baltimore, Toronto or Tampa. With all the arms being stockpiled in Boston and NYY and the imbalanced schedules, those teams are going to get slaughtered. If Balt gets one or two of the FAs they are trying to get and Toronoto comes back as is, next year's D-Rays could have one of the worst records in baseball.

I hear the Dodgers signed Ventura to a one year contract. Will he be playing 1b? If so, does this mean PK for Perez is out of reach?

MHOUSE
12-11-2003, 01:03 PM
3 years for $31 million. That's less than we offered Colon and IMO Petitte is more worth that money than Big Bart. I know he wanted to pitch close to home and the Yankees could've outbid us anyways, but it'd would've bene nice to make an offer. This isn't good news for Cubs fans used to facing the 'Stros oft-injured or otherwise crappy starters.

34 Inch Stick
12-11-2003, 02:40 PM
An offer was futile it was somewhere in Texas or the Yankees. If I was Andy I would tell Mrs. Pettite to get her ass to work to make up those $9 million dollars they lost because she wanted him to be close to home.

Buy a freaking house in NY for that money.

joecrede
12-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Anyone else think it's interesting that the Dodgers moved Bown who will be making $31M over the next two years, or to put it differently, exactly what is owed Ordonez and Konerko?

Of course the Dodgers would be dumping Weaver's salary on the Sox in any potential deal involving the Sox for those two. In exchange for the Sox taking on Weaver's salary, Williams should be able to get a pretty good player (pitcher) in return.

BeerHandle
12-11-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm still not sold on Weaver even if we get rid of some of salary in return.

Frater Perdurabo
12-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
An offer was futile it was somewhere in Texas or the Yankees. If I was Andy I would tell Mrs. Pettite to get her ass to work to make up those $9 million dollars they lost because she wanted him to be close to home.

Buy a freaking house in NY for that money.

No state income tax in Texas. High income taxes in New York. Money goes further in Texas. Now, about playing in the park formerly known as Ten Run field...

maurice
12-11-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
I hear the Dodgers signed Ventura to a one year contract. Will he be playing 1b? If so, does this mean PK for Perez is out of reach?

Ventura hit .220 in 49 games with the Dodgers last season, playing both 1B and 3B. His biggest offensive feature at this stage of his career is the base on balls. Unless Evans is even dumber than advertised, he can't be relying on Ventura to provide tons of offense at 1B in 2004.