PDA

View Full Version : Magglio for Nomar trade talks still alive

otis
12-10-2003, 04:31 PM
This is the latest information I have on any WSox/BSox deal.

For all you naysayers, this what has happened since my last post.

1. I told you that a Manny/Arod deal could seriously take place during the GM meetings in New Orleans. It was mocked by some, saying it would never happen. I am here to tell you that it has never been closer and if the deal happens at all, expect it to happen early in the meetings because Boston's off season direction depends on this trade.

2. I told you that a Nomar/Damon for Magglio & (Konerko or Koch) trade could take place. This was dismissed by many as laughable and that Boston would never trade Nomar. How many articles about possible Nomar trades have surfaced since then?

The trade talks are still alive. If the Arod deal takes place, the White Sox are in the race for Nomar. The Boston camp is split on what they want in return (Hitting or Pitching) If pitching wins out, it will not be the Sox. Look for him to go to the Dodgers (Kevin Brown) or Angels (Washburn & Donnelly). With Pedro, Schilling, & Lowe in the rotation, some in the Red Sox camp prefer getting a hitter to fill Manny's void.

This is where it gets exciting for me.

There is no other available hitter than Magglio that the Red Sox would prefer because:

A. They picture him having a monster year in Fenway.
B. It prevents the Yankees from making a move to get him.
C. Nomar & Magglio's contracts are similar with both eligible for free agency next year.

If the deal happened today it would be Nomar for Magglio with some minor additions by both sides. KW wants Johnny Damon (who Boston will move if Arod is aboard) but has been unsuccessful in shedding a similar salary from the WSox (Paul Konerko?).

If Nomar switches his socks, it will happen this weekend. Other names that have surfaced continue to include Damon, Trot Nixon, and Kevin Millar from Boston and Valentine & Koch.

Palehose13
12-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Otis-
Thanks for he info. I am in no way doubting you, in fact I want to believe you. However, whenever I see a Nomar trade mentioned, the white sox are not mentioned to be in the fold. Do you know why? Thanks.

Jjav829
12-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Otis-
Thanks for he info. I am in no way doubting you, in fact I want to believe you. However, whenever I see a Nomar trade mentioned, the white sox are not mentioned to be in the fold. Do you know why? Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you. I want to believe it, but I have trouble doing so because I haven't heard one media outlet even give the Sox as a possible fit. From what I heard today, the Dodgers have pulled Odalis Perez off the table because they will use him to acquire Nomar if the Arod/Manny thing happens.

Then again, KW does like to keep things very secret so I hold out some hope. I mean how many media outlets had the Sox listed as a possibility for Colon? I think ESPN said it early on but then they quickly removed our name and all the talk was about the Red Sox, Yankees, Mariners, etc. and look who ended up trading for him. So I won't immediately dismiss the possibility because Kenny does like to keep things secret and if hes planning on making a big move like this, he may want to keep it all quiet.

joecrede
12-10-2003, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure I'd do a Garciaparra/Ordonez deal would be a good one for the White Sox. It just doesn't free up enough money to fill the other holes.

Ordonez should be used in part as an incentive for another team to take at least a portion of Konerko's contract.

hold2dibber
12-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I'm not sure I'd do a Garciaparra/Ordonez deal would be a good one for the White Sox. It just doesn't free up enough money to fill the other holes.

That's true if it's Maggs for Nomar straight up, but if it is Maggs and Koch for Nomar and Damon, the Sox have filled two holes (SS and CF) and freed up right field for their most promising prospect (Reed). They could then deal Valentin for pitching (e.g., Odalis?). Those deals would give the Sox this line-up:

CF Damon
RF Reed
SS Garciaparra
1B Thomas
LF Lee
3B Crede
DH Konerko
C Olivo
2B Harris

And a rotation of:

Loaiza
Buehrle
Garland
Perez
Rauch

Not great (I'd want another starter, an upgrade at 2B and a lefty stick to DH or at least platoon with PK), but better than the team as currently constituted.

guillen4life13
12-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
That's true if it's Maggs for Nomar straight up, but if it is Maggs and Koch for Nomar and Damon, the Sox have filled two holes (SS and CF) and freed up right field for their most promising prospect (Reed). They could then deal Valentin for pitching (e.g., Odalis?). Those deals would give the Sox this line-up:

CF Damon
RF Reed
SS Garciaparra
1B Thomas
LF Lee
3B Crede
DH Konerko
C Olivo
2B Harris

And a rotation of:

Loaiza
Buehrle
Garland
Perez
Rauch

Not great (I'd want another starter, an upgrade at 2B and a lefty stick to DH or at least platoon with PK), but better than the team as currently constituted.

Only thing I'd change in that lineup of yours is to have Thomas bat 3rd, Nomah 4th.

cornball
12-10-2003, 05:31 PM
I would do that deal in a second, Mags/Koch for Nomar/Damon. Before it was public, I hope KW would have deals in the works to unload PK and JV for pitching.

Then all we would have to worry about is more pitching and
2nd base. LOL alway a worry ...I swear.

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2003, 05:53 PM
OTIS!.....HE LOVES US!

spataro51
12-10-2003, 05:58 PM
I sure hope this could be true! Damon is one of my favorite players and he would be an excellent fit in center for us. Maybe your right, hopefully kenny and boston are keeping things quiet at the moment. Kenny is good for keeping things for himself and for making people speculate on whats going on. If this is true, it all depends on arod for manny deal.

KingXerxes
12-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Let's say the trade is a straight-up deal Ordonez for Garciaparra. What is gained? We'd have two shortstops and no right fielder.

StillMissOzzie
12-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Let's say the trade is a straight-up deal Ordonez for Garciaparra. What is gained? We'd have two shortstops and no right fielder.

IMO, Either Manos goes to 2b (yuccchhh) or Manos gets traded...

SMO
:gulp:

poorme
12-10-2003, 06:18 PM
I guess KW has all his eggs in this basket. I wonder what his plan is if the deal falls through.

Gumshoe
12-10-2003, 06:28 PM
I have to say that I feel like something is cooking too ... but with KW on it, I'm scared as all hell. We'll see what happens. I love Ordonez, but Nomar is a two time batting champ AND A shortstop. It would be hard to criticize that move, but it depends on all the other factors, players involved, etc.

I just don't know what to believe. I gotta think the worst when KW and JR are involved.

G

BackInBlack
12-10-2003, 06:37 PM
Otis, you should post much much much more frequently. :-D Very very interesting stuff. Glad you stopped by.

But one Q: What would be the purpose of acquiring Nomar?

The guy is a FA next year and there's no way we re-sign him with our payroll restrictions. What's his projected 2004 salary? TIA.

spataro51
12-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Nomar would be great for us, Yes he is a free agent and so is magglio, we more then likely will not be able to keep magglio after this year anyways because of payroll limits so why not fill a hole in center with damon and also get one of the best shortstops in the game also with 2 batting titles.

Jjav829
12-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
Otis, you should post much much much more frequently. :-D Very very interesting stuff. Glad you stopped by.

But one Q: What would be the purpose of acquiring Nomar?

The guy is a FA next year and there's no way we re-sign him with our payroll restrictions. What's his projected 2004 salary? TIA.

Well it's not completely out of question that we couldn't resign him. I think hes along the lines of Maggs in terms of players who may be overestimating the market. One reason Nomar has not signed a contract with the Red Sox is because he wants money similar to Jeter whereas the Red Sox are looking more to pay him along the lines of Tejada. I would say that hes probably worth about $10-12 million a year, but it depends on Tejada. Just as Guerrero's worth will go a long ways in determining what Maggs gets as a FA, Tejada's contract will determine what Nomar gets. I think it's possible they could resign him. I believe someone mentioned in a thread earlier that the Sox only have $15 million committed next year. Valentin would be moved this year. Koch's contract is up after the year. Loaiza and Lee are Free Agents. Konerko could be gone. So it's possible the Sox free up a lot of money after this year. I would say if Nomar wants to stay here, they should be able to resign him. It would be a great PR move for the Sox.

nut_stock
12-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Perhaps the Sox brass think that by getting Nomar the let down by Ordonez's eventual departure will be minimalized. Then Nomar (less of a fan favorite) leaves after 2004 and the Sox have money to work with.

Realist
12-10-2003, 07:04 PM

CF Damon
RF Reed
SS Garciaparra
1B Thomas
LF Lee
3B Crede
DH Konerko
C Olivo
2B Harris

And a rotation of:

Loaiza
Buehrle
Garland
Perez
Rauch

I think the Dodgers would want Konerko for Perez, but that's okay. I still think Valentine would be a great DH (as long as he promises not to bat righty). He's shown potential to be a big clutch hitter and he's got power. If he's not so worried about bootin' the next grounder hit right to him, maybe he can concentrate more on his hitting and be even more productive at the bat.

I suspect he may be a reverse Thomas. Where Thomas needs to play in the field in order to be more effective at the plate, maybe Valentine would be better off just hitting.

Iguana775
12-10-2003, 07:43 PM

CF Damon
RF Reed
SS Garciaparra
1B Thomas
LF Lee
3B Crede
DH Konerko
C Olivo
2B Harris

And a rotation of:

Loaiza
Buehrle
Garland
Perez
Rauch

damn, if only that would happen. i would love to have that as a lineup.

lowesox
12-10-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
damn, if only that would happen. i would love to have that as a lineup.

I like the lineup. Not so sure about the rotation - I think Perez would be a flop. I'm fine to gamble with Rauch but only if we have a fourth starter that's credible: I keep praying for Ponson. Maybe the Washburn idea would be good too.