12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Per ESPN 1000

HE GONE

JoseCanseco6969
12-10-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Per ESPN 1000

HE GONE

Well he sure turned out to be a great addition to our club.

cornball
12-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm makes you wonder if there is a deal coming. They are dropping like flies. We need left handed hitters. Was he on the 40 man roster?

Randar68
12-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by JoseCanseco6969
Well he sure turned out to be a great addition to our club.

Don't know anything for sure but perhaps this is a move to clear a space on the 40 man roster before a deal is made...

jshanahanjr
12-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Scott Spezio is a swith hitting upgrade.

Jjav829
12-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by jshanahanjr
Scott Spezio is a swith hitting upgrade.

I would like to get Spiezio. I don't see it happening though. He would be a welcome addition if we could shed Konerko but at last check, Spiezio is higher on himself than most teams are(or at least his agent is).

JoseCanseco6969
12-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Don't know anything for sure but perhaps this is a move to clear a space on the 40 man roster before a deal is made...

Possibly, because he couldnt have been making much money either so it cant be salary dumping.

DrCrawdad
12-10-2003, 04:37 PM
Per ESPN 1000

HE GONE

Begin the Ross Gload era.

wilburaga
12-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Daubach's release is not unexpected. Nevertheless, there goes our only threat to steal home.

This franchise better do something soon, or the tickler for Soxfest will be...

'Come to Soxfest. See Ross Gload.'

W

Hokiesox
12-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Why does this Organ-I-zation keep us guessing as to where they are going? This one has me clueless. What are they doing?!?

Do the white sox even have an offseason goal?

Dub25
12-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Could it mean the Konerko deal to L.A. is officially dead? Otherwise if you trade Konerko their is nobody to backup Frank.

DrCrawdad
12-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by wilburaga
Daubach's release is not unexpected. Nevertheless, there goes our only threat to steal home.

This franchise better do something soon, or the tickler for Soxfest will be...

'Come to Soxfest. See Ross Gload.'

W

Imagine the Ross Gload Q&A at SoxFest...

Q: Ross, what was it like playing in the shadow of Mark Grace?

Q: Ross, what brand of cigarette does Grace smoke?

Q: Ross, in you time with the Cubs did you ever get any of Mark Grace's table scraps?

Mammoo
12-10-2003, 05:06 PM
There ya go!

Addition by subtraction. We just got better! :smile:

DrCrawdad
12-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Isn't there plenty of room on the Sox 40-man roster? According to my advanced math the Sox roster is at 36 after the release of Daubach.

MRKARNO
12-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Isn't there plenty of room on the Sox 40-man roster? According to my advanced math the Sox roster is at 36 after the release of Daubach.

They'll trade Maggs and C Lee for 6 prospects and put them all on the 40 man roster

Frater Perdurabo
12-10-2003, 09:01 PM
I am not a "stat head," but I was surprised that Daubach was sixth on the Sox in walks despite playing in exactly half of the team's games. According to the Trib, he batted over .300 when playing DH. Projected out over a full season he could have been third on the team in walks!

If they could have traded Konerko for whatever, as a lefty Daubach would have been the perfect player to swap between DH and 1B with Frank. (Frank playing 1B four times per week and Daubach playing 1B two to three times per week.) We also all have seen the stats that Frank hits much better when playing 1B.

With these stats in mind, in 2003 JM was a complete idiot for not "playing the percentages" and starting Frank at 1B, Daubach at DH and benching Konerko last year! DH-ing Daubach regularly would have broken up the Sox string of right handed hitters, especially against right-handed pitchers.

Hindsight is 20/20, but batting Daubach cleanup likely would have provided many RBI opportunites for Maggs batting 5th. (Lee could have spent more time in the 2-hole.) Hitting between Frank and Maggs would have allowed Daubach to see more fastballs, likely increasing his production. Such lost opportunities! I am now convinced that Jerry Manuel's stubbon insistence on continuing to play Konerko at 1B when he should have been riding the pine cost this team the AL Central!

Consequently, Daubach's release either foreshadows an upcoming trade or was incredibly short-sighted and foolish. I hope it is the former but I fear it is the latter.

poorme
12-10-2003, 09:06 PM
I would have kept him.

bestkosher
12-10-2003, 09:07 PM
now who will bring up the line up cards

RKMeibalane
12-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
With these stats in mind, in 2003 JM was a complete idiot for not "playing the percentages" and starting Frank at 1B, Daubach at DH and benching Konerko last year! DH-ing Daubach regularly would have broken up the Sox string of right handed hitters, especially against right-handed pitchers.

LOL! Who could forget that disaster?

:jerry

"I can't imagine any reason short an emergency for playing Frank at first base."

Moron -------------------------------------> :jerry

Frater Perdurabo
12-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
"I can't imagine any reason short an emergency for playing Frank at first base."

Moron -------------------------------------> :jerry

Emergency? I'll show you an emergency!

The emergency was having far and away the best talent in the division and the answer to the first-half lack of offense staring you right in the face, and throwing it all away out of sheer idiocy! :angry:

I defended Manuel even though I disagreed with his continued reliance on Konerko at 1B.

But now, after seeing Daubach's (albeit in limited at bats) production at DH, combined with Frank's better performance at 1B (which I did know before), there was no excuse whatsoever for continuing to play Konerko while he flirted with the Mendoza Line and collected double plays by the baker's dozen! :angry:

I thought I had let go of the 2003 disaster but I'm more upset than I was when they bombed up in Minnesota in September! :angry:

lowesox
12-10-2003, 11:45 PM
If a player is released doesn't that mean we have to pay for the rest of his contract?

Tragg
12-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Good move
Daubach was terrible last year

3rdgensoxfan
12-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Why does this Organ-I-zation keep us guessing as to where they are going? This one has me clueless. What are they doing?!?

Do the white sox even have an offseason goal?

Personally, I'm kind of depressed about the Sox lately. On the Sox direction, I have one guess. Ken Williams must deal with Jerry Reinsdorf's self-imposed "small market" status. He has a hat filled with letters A-ZZ and reaches in and picks one out. Thatt's the goal for the day.

Even the Tigers are beginning to look better than us!!!! At least they are being proactive.

:whiner:

MHOUSE
12-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
If a player is released doesn't that mean we have to pay for the rest of his contract?

IIRC he only had a one-year deal anyways. I think he becomes a free agent and all his ties to the Sox are done.

Tekijawa
12-11-2003, 04:11 PM
What's the purpose of releasing him as opposed to leaving him unprotected for the rule 5 draft? At least the Sox could have recouped $50K then?

Or is this just to let him get a Jump on the Non-tendered players?

SouthBendSox
12-11-2003, 11:17 PM
if that clown Manuel had player BD every day over Sonkero we would have won the division

can we fire him again? :gulp: :angry:

JC456
12-12-2003, 01:03 AM
Per ESPN 1000

HE GONE

AMEN!!!!

Frank the Tank
12-12-2003, 02:27 AM
I have one word to describe Daubach:

USELESS

JC456