PDA

View Full Version : Andy Petitte is now an Astro

chosk8
12-10-2003, 01:44 PM
per Bruce Levine on ESPN radio on Dan Patrick show

cornball
12-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Per ESPN...to be anounced over the weekend.

This should piss off the Yanks.

anewman35
12-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by cornball
Per ESPN...to be anounced over the weekend.

This should piss off the Yanks.

And make the Cubs task that much harder. Good job, Astros!

Foulke You
12-10-2003, 01:57 PM
At least SOMEONE in the NL Central is going to give the Flubs a fight.

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2003, 02:01 PM
It also drives up the market on the remaining top of the rotation starters. That makes it tougher on the Sox. Let's not forget we define ourselves as Sox fans, not Cub haters.

joecrede
12-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Here's how this could effect the Sox:

Yankees deal for Kevin Brown.
Dodgers free up enough cash for Ordonez.
Sox insist Konerko is part of any deal for Ordonez.

Foulke You
12-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
It also drives up the market on the remaining top of the rotation starters. That makes it tougher on the Sox. Let's not forget we define ourselves as Sox fans, not Cub haters.

New York may come knocking on Ponson's door now.

anewman35
12-10-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

I don't really see this hurting us, because I didn't see any chance of us getting a top of the rotation starter, anyway...

Baby Fisk
12-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Boomer Wells is the only person who benefits, other than Pettitte himself.

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2003, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see the Yankees pursue Maddux now. The 300 wins pursuit always looks good and intelligent veteran pitchers seem to excell when they put on the pinstripes.

On a more Sox relevant note, if we are interested in top of the order pitching, I think it is time to get serious. At the very least Ponson should get a courtesy call.

Frater Perdurabo
12-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Here's how this could effect the Sox:

Yankees deal for Kevin Brown.
Dodgers free up enough cash for Ordonez.
Sox insist Konerko is part of any deal for Ordonez.

If this scenario happened, then the Sox really would free up some payroll to sign some pitching and a legitimate CF (ideally a leadoff hitter), putting Frank back at 1B full-time and promoting Reed or Borchard to play RF. Even if Reed or Borchard puts up Konerko's 2003-like numbers, it won't kill the Sox in the #9 hole. Frank would hit better playing 1B with Lee in front of him.

CHISOXFAN13
12-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
If this scenario happened, then the Sox really would free up some payroll to sign some pitching and a legitimate CF (ideally a leadoff hitter), putting Frank back at 1B full-time and promoting Reed or Borchard to play RF. Even if Reed or Borchard puts up Konerko's 2003-like numbers, it won't kill the Sox in the #9 hole. Frank would hit better playing 1B with Lee in front of him.

With Rowand, Harris and Olivo all pegged to be in the lineup, I'd have a hard time believeing Reed or Borchard hit in the 9 hole. More like the six or seven

MHOUSE
12-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Per ESPN 1000

Bad for the Cubs. Bad for the Yankees. Good for the Red Sox.

hold2dibber
12-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Per ESPN 1000

Bad for the Cubs. Bad for the Yankees. Good for the Red Sox.

Wow! I'm flabergasted. Colon probably should have waited before signing with the Angels - he probably could have twisted the Yankees arms for more $. So as of right now, the Yankees starting rotation is:

Mussina
Vazquez
Contreras
Weaver
Lieber

That's nothing but ?s after the first two (although I think Contreras will be pretty good). With Colon off the market, I guess they'll make a run at either Millwood and/or Maddux. But I for one am not convinced that either of those guys would be that great in the AL. Too bad the Sox don't have any excess starting pitching to trade.

JoseCanseco6969
12-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Wow! I'm flabergasted. Colon probably should have waited before signing with the Angels - he probably could have twisted the Yankees arms for more $. So as of right now, the Yankees starting rotation is:

Mussina
Vazquez
Contreras
Weaver
Lieber

That's nothing but ?s after the first two (although I think Contreras will be pretty good). With Colon off the market, I guess they'll make a run at either Millwood and/or Maddux. But I for one am not convinced that either of those guys would be that great in the AL. Too bad the Sox don't have any excess starting pitching to trade.

Look for fatass to return as well. The boss wont let that crappy rotation stick. Our weak rotation even compares that that.

longshot7
12-10-2003, 03:15 PM
HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!

doublem23
12-10-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by JoseCanseco6969
Look for fatass to return as well. The boss wont let that crappy rotation stick. Our weak rotation even compares that that.

I think I heard the Wells signed a minor league deal with the Pinstripes... Or maybe that was just a rumor.

MHOUSE
12-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I think I heard the Wells signed a minor league deal with the Pinstripes... Or maybe that was just a rumor.

You are correct. He signed a minor league deal with NYY earlier this week. IIRC, the Yankees added a clause about his conditioning habits/regimen or lack thereof.

Jjav829
12-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

It's pretty much done but isn't announced. He should be back. I see no reason why he wouldn't sign if Steinbrenner wants him back. Especially if the reports than the deal could be worth as much as $7 million with incentives are true.

Paulwny
12-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Pettite hasn't signed anything, from the Houston Chronicle Dec. 10, 3:34 PM

The sources cautioned that some details remained to be worked out and that the deal still could fall apart if the New York Yankees made a last-ditch effort to re-sign Pettitte

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/2285901

dougs78
12-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo

Yes, that scenario would free up lots of money for the Sox to pursue pitching, but the sad part the same scenario would seem to dry up most of the decent starting pitchers who are on the market.

There is just too much speculation for me. The whole thing for the Sox could break about 1000 different ways. Once we make A move it will limit the permutations and make the whole thing much easier to think about.

steff
12-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
New York may come knocking on Ponson's door now.

Currently, Baltimore is standing right outside of it again.

lowesox
12-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Any opinions on how this will shape the Ponson market?

lowesox
12-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by steff
Currently, Baltimore is standing right outside of it again.

I had heard somewhere that Baltimore was planning on signing two of Vlad, Tejada and Lopez. Would that leave money for Ponson.

Man to have a team that cares.

Jjav829
12-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Any opinions on how this will shape the Ponson market?

Well it definitely puts the Yankees back in the picture. Had Pettitte gone to the Yankees, you figure they would be done looking for pitching with Mussina, Vazquez, Pettitte, Wells, and Contreras. However, now you can expect George will want another starter. And anytime the Yankees are involved, the market for a pitcher can't fully be known. I kind of wish Pettitte went to the Yankees because Drayton McLane may not have been as willing to get involved with Ponson since he really doesn't want to add payroll. At this point you have to think the White Sox, Orioles, Yankees, and Cardinals are all possibilities. If the Rangers do go through with the Arod/Manny deal, I would think they would jump in on him as well.