PDA

View Full Version : Pitching Staff - whitesox.com

MHOUSE
12-10-2003, 12:35 PM
This was on Whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031209&content_id=614409&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha). They talked to Coop about losing Colon, Flash, and Sully. He thought they were coming back up until a couple weeks ago apparently. This was the article's mention for the pitching staff:

Starters:
Loaiza
Buehrle
Garland
Schoenweiss

Bullpen: Koch, Marte, Wright, Wunsch

Things aren't looking pretty if that's what they're willing to settle for. This isn't good. I hope something happens this weekend or before Christmas.

Baby Fisk
12-10-2003, 12:37 PM
If there's one thing I've learned in this lifetime, it is to never, ever, ever, underestimate Kelly Wunsch.
:kelly
"Dude where's my hair?"

StepsInSC
12-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Definitely not pretty.

I wouldn't totally hate the idea of Schoeneweis ni the #5 spot, he's had so-so numbers as a starter (for a #5).

Just need someone else before Garland.

poorme
12-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Definitely not pretty.

I wouldn't totally hate the idea of Schoeneweis ni the #5 spot, he's had so-so numbers as a starter (for a #5).

He's penciled in as #4!! We are in big trouble.

BeerHandle
12-10-2003, 12:46 PM
I liked Cooper's comments. A key part from last year is that everyone has forgotten how late in January we Got Loaiza and Dordon. Can KW pull a few more rabbits out of his SOX hat!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From WhiteSox.Com
But thereís also the possibility that a key addition to the White Sox staff is more than a few weeks away from signing on, and he might not be a name of Colon or Gordonís stature. Cooper pointed out that Loaiza was signed in late January as a free agent without a team and finished as a 21-game-winner who was the runner-up in the American League Cy Young voting.

Gordon was an injury-plagued but talented reliever, who wasnít brought into the fold until four days before the Loaiza signing. So Cooper isnít panicking and neither is anyone else in the organization.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BeerHandle
12-10-2003, 12:48 PM
Definitely not pretty.

Just need someone else before Garland.

The KEY is penciled in. I would hope that we are going to pick up a #1, 2 or 3 pitcher. Garland will be #4 and then Schoeneweis as #5.

Tekijawa
12-10-2003, 12:48 PM
I bet you Boston, New York and even the new ROYALS... are shaking in their boots looking at that staff!

I think we should pull a Juron and leave that 5 spot open and not let any team know who they'll be going up against until they see him warming up... What a Strategy!

Tekijawa
12-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Schoeneweis in our rotation is Horrible, what do we do go to the bullpen once the first righty comes up... I'm trying to remain positive as I have been told many times to do so, "wait until April" they say... It's getting harder and harder to do!

JRIG
12-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Definitely not pretty.

I would totally hate Schoeneweis in the #5 spot. There is nothing to indicate he can be an effective starting pitcher.

In 2000 his ERA was 5.45. He gave up 183 hits and walked 67 in 170 IP, striking out only 78.

In 2001 his ERA was 5.08. He gave up 227 hits and walked 77 in 205 IP, striking out only 104.

In 2002, before being removed from the rotation, his ERA was 5.38. He gave up 96 hits and walked 40 in 90 1/3 IP, striking out 44.

Any of those numbers scream "I'm a starter!" to you?

Keep in mind his home stadium was Anaheim, a pretty darn good pitchers park. The rest of his career has been spent in the bullpen, where he has been a little more effective.

If Schoeneweis is starting, it's another bad bad sign for the season.

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2003, 01:08 PM
If they are banking on any scrap heap starter to have 21 wins next year (including Loiza himself) they are deluding themselves.
That type of Loiza pickup comes around once in a very long while. Looks like we should call Coop, Co-Op if he is going to spout that company line. He's probably just happy to still have his job.

StepsInSC
12-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I would totally hate Schoeneweis in the #5 spot. There is nothing to indicate he can be an effective starting pitcher.

In 2000 his ERA was 5.45. He gave up 183 hits and walked 67 in 170 IP, striking out only 78.

In 2001 his ERA was 5.08. He gave up 227 hits and walked 77 in 205 IP, striking out only 104.

In 2002, before being removed from the rotation, his ERA was 5.38. He gave up 96 hits and walked 40 in 90 1/3 IP, striking out 44.

Any of those numbers scream "I'm a starter!" to you?

Keep in mind his home stadium was Anaheim, a pretty darn good pitchers park. The rest of his career has been spent in the bullpen, where he has been a little more effective.

If Schoeneweis is starting, it's another bad bad sign for the season.

Are they that worse than what we had in the 5 spot last year?

kermittheefrog
12-10-2003, 01:58 PM
I think it'd be interesting to see a Schoeneweis/Wright sort of platoon in the fifth spot. Giving the start to whoever matches up better with the opponent. Of course this is one of those ideas that would never actually see the light of day even though it sounds good in principle.

Mots09
12-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Is it official that Kelly is going to stay with the ballclub? I know I read he wanted was set to recieve 2.3 mill for 2 years, and with our payroll problems I wasn't sure if he was going to be around.

Leader of the Kelly W fan club!

GO SOX

maurice
12-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I think it'd be interesting to see a Schoeneweis/Wright sort of platoon in the fifth spot. Giving the start to whoever matches up better with the opponent.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly different version of your "platoon" suggestion: Schoenweis starts and goes five or six innings, then Wright pitches three innings of relief.

If Cooper can teach Schoenweis top throw a good cutter (or anything else he can use to get righties out), he could become a pretty good starter. As it stands, his lefty-righty splits are fairly extreme.

jordan23ventura
12-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by maurice

I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly different version of your "platoon" suggestion: Schoenweis starts and goes five or six innings, then Wright pitches three innings of relief.

If Cooper can teach Schoenweis top throw a good cutter (or anything else he can use to get righties out), he could become a pretty good starter. As it stands, his lefty-righty splits are fairly extreme.

Why? Just drop Schoenweis, save 2mil, and let Wright (if he's healthy) stick to that spot. If not, go to Rauch. That also is saying that we don't have another surprise non-roster invitee.

lowesox
12-10-2003, 10:56 PM
I am very concerned. I have a very good feeling that Loaiza doesn't win more than 8-9 games this year. I like Garland and Buerle to get better. But the sad thing is, I think our starting rotation, right now, is our strongest area.

Our bullpen looks awful. I think Danny WRight might actually surprise some peope, and I think Marte and Wunsch are great. After that...

This pitching staff is going to need 4 quality pitchers if we're going to compete with the royals. Get off your ass Kenny, the market is drying up.

maurice
12-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
Just drop Schoenweis, save 2mil, and let Wright (if he's healthy) stick to that spot.

I don't like Wright as a starter. He's better out of the pen (albeit in very limited appearances to date).

I'd be pretty surprised if KW dropped Schoenweis. KW said last season that he was acquired for the 2004 rotation. He'll probably open camp slated as the #4 or #5 starter.