PDA

View Full Version : With what money


Gammons Peter
12-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Every story I read about the Sox is that Kenny had hoped to re-sign all of the free agents (except for Everett)
How was he planning to do this??

voodoochile
12-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter
Every story I read about the Sox is that Kenny had hoped to re-sign all of the free agents (except for Everett)
How was he planning to do this??

On the cheap with short term contracts and deferred money. You know... No way, nuh-uh and never going to happen.

hold2dibber
12-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
On the cheap with short term contracts and deferred money.

But even with those things in mind, the numbers still don't add up:

Maggs: $14 million
PK: $8 million
Koch: $6.35 million
Frank: $6 million
Garland: $2.5 million
Carlos: $6 million (convservative)
Buehrle: $3 million (conservative)
Loaiza: $4 million
S. Alomar: $700,000
Crede: $350,000
Olivo: $350,000
Rowand: $350,000
Marte: $500,000
Wright: $350,000
Harris: $350,000

That's $52.8 million of a $58 million payroll for 15 players. They still need 10 players or a TOTAL of $5.2 million. I don't understand how they could have offered Colon anywhere close to the $10 million/year non-deferred deal that has been reported, or how they could have offered deals to any of their other free agents (other than the $1 million offer to R. Alomar). It just doesn't add up.

voodoochile
12-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
But even with those things in mind, the numbers still don't add up:

Maggs: $14 million
PK: $8 million
Koch: $6.35 million
Frank: $6 million
Garland: $2.5 million
Carlos: $6 million (convservative)
Buehrle: $3 million (conservative)
Loaiza: $4 million
S. Alomar: $700,000
Crede: $350,000
Olivo: $350,000
Rowand: $350,000
Marte: $500,000
Wright: $350,000
Harris: $350,000

That's $52.8 million of a $58 million payroll for 15 players. They still need 10 players or a TOTAL of $5.2 million. I don't understand how they could have offered Colon anywhere close to the $10 million/year non-deferred deal that has been reported, or how they could have offered deals to any of their other free agents (other than the $1 million offer to R. Alomar). It just doesn't add up.

I never said they would be successful. I just said that was the way they were going about business - as usual.

hold2dibber
12-10-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I never said they would be successful. I just said that was the way they were going about business - as usual.

But what I'm saying is that (a) either they didn't really make offers to their departing free agents; or (b) they were willing to go above $58 million. Even with partially deferred salaries, there's no way they could have fit those guys in and stayed within the budget constraints.

jeremyb1
12-10-2003, 03:06 PM
I've been asking myself this same question quite a bit. Especially in the case of Colon where we were offering 10 million up front at a minimum I don't understand how that would've worked out. The only thing I can come up with is that Kenny would've shed some salaries. However, that seems like very poor planning to me. What if Colon accepts? We're pretty much forced to deal Maggs and every team in baseball knows it completely destroying any leverage we'd have in trade talks. It seems like we should be shedding salaries then signing players, not vice versa.

DSpivack
12-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Seems rather simple to me. When adding up contracts, no one puts anything in the negative! I'm sure there are some players that love the game so much they would pay to play!

idseer
12-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
I'm sure there are some players that love the game so much they would pay to play!

yes, i heard jose would do that!