PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to play for the sox?

joeynach
12-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Who in their right minds would want to play for the sox after seeing what we do. Dont offer arbitration, let guys go, differ money, trade our home grown stars because of $$ constraints, constantly cut payroll, downgrade the teams talent level, etc. I mean come on which basbeall player is serisouly going to consider the white sox, especially when given the choice of contracts between us and others. NO ONE. Welcome to class AA baseball in 04, the chicago white sox.

Tekijawa
12-10-2003, 01:21 PM
I'll play... I'm a righty and can play some right field, My on base percentage is in the low .200's and I have a weak arm and until I start on my training schedule my range is suspect. I do however look great in any of the sox jeserys, I ate a Grinder once, I have a firey attitude and will be great for quotes to the media, I'll play for less than the minimum and will have no agent (that's how Kenny likes his players anyway right?).

Here are my Stats:

Height 6'7"
weight 220
throws: R
Bats: R (but willing to try L also)

I'm dedicated to the Whitesox organization (that's what Ozzie is looking for)

I have almost 4 years of sales experience, so maybe I could do some Season ticket Cold Calling in the off season.

I'm a steal! even at todays depressed market levels!

KingXerxes
12-10-2003, 01:28 PM
I may be off in La La Land on this one, but I still think a lot of the reasons why the White Sox seem to be shunned by so many palyers is due to the fact that Frank Thomas had his "diminished skills clause" invoked by Jerry Reinsdorf prior to last year.

I said I thought it was a bad move then (although not entirely unjustified) and I still think it's a bad move now.

Baby Fisk
12-10-2003, 01:29 PM
I'm in. Where do I fax the resume?

5'11"
Throw a nasty knuckleball (R), and I'm good for tons of innings, provided that ERA doesn't matter. Headhunting is not beneath me if requested. Will pitch for churros.

jeremyb1
12-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
Who in their right minds would want to play for the sox after seeing what we do. Dont offer arbitration, let guys go, differ money, trade our home grown stars because of $$ constraints, constantly cut payroll, downgrade the teams talent level, etc. I mean come on which basbeall player is serisouly going to consider the white sox, especially when given the choice of contracts between us and others. NO ONE. Welcome to class AA baseball in 04, the chicago white sox.

This is nothing different that what 90% of the other teams in baseball are doing. In this financial market, its a huge financial risk to offer arbitration because players coming off long term contracts have inflated salaries and teams are forced to pay a minimum of a 20% pay cut from last season in arbitration. There's no team in baseball that would pay Carl Everett 6 or 7 million dollars next season. I think its atrocious to argue we should do so just to be polite when KW is only 3 million under budget right now.

How about we just sign Vlad, IRod, and trade for ARod. Then teams will want to play for us right? Its certainly worth discussing because those are the types of moves JR might be willing to make.

I for one am not pleased with our payroll but we've increased our payroll for three season in a row now.

fledgedrallycap
12-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Give me a break. Money talks and the Sox don't cough it up!

Lip Man 1
12-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Jeremy:

Historical note...in the early 90's when the Sox were perceived as a team on the rise, that had absolutely no trouble convincing guys like Tim Raines to accept a trade and come her. They had no trouble getting quality productive free agents like Ellis Burks, Julio Franco, Charlie Hough and Kirk McCaskill to sign on.

Hell if you believe Jack McDowell in his interview with WSI (and I do) even Mark McGwire was interested.

I remember reading a story in The Sporting news in the early 90's that quotes an agent as saying the Sox were the hot team, they had the new ballpark and players were excited over the possibility of playing with guys like Thomas, Ventura and McDowell.

MLB players are a very small, very close knit fraternity. the word gets out quickly on good and bad places to play.

Atmosphere, front office, ballpark and willingness to win are all big factors in where players go (in addition to the money but since most clubs pay pretty well the other factors take on even greater importance and usually are the difference.)

Lip

Baby Fisk
12-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Lip is bang on. Who'd a thunk that the 93-94 era could possibly be this generation's golden era? :(:

joecrede
12-10-2003, 05:39 PM
The Marlins won the World Series.