PDA

View Full Version : Where should the Expos move?

Hondo
12-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Since MLB agreed not to contract any teams the Expos will spend yet another year in obscurity with the frenchies in Montreal. This situation combined with the Brewers fiasco affirms that not only is Bud Selig an idiot he's a crook on top of that. But I digress.
If you had your choice to play owner and you controlled the Expos where would you move them to?

Washington DC?
Portland?
Vegas?
Sacramento?
San Juan?

I personally believe DC doesn't deserve another franschise considering they pissed away two already.

What do you think?

Peacefully Submitted,
Hondo

poorme
12-10-2003, 11:53 AM
DC

KingXerxes
12-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Las Vegas.

Baby Fisk
12-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Vancouver.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-10-2003, 11:56 AM
I would put them in San Antonio. I think that is a developing area. The population is moving west, so I cannot see putting a team in the DC area. I just think that San Antonio is a better place. It has a warmer climate that would appeal to a baseball crowd in the early and late parts of the season that hurts many Northern teams.

poorme
12-10-2003, 11:58 AM
The DC area is the largest market, has the most money, and is growing rapidly.

jabrch
12-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by poorme
The DC area is the largest market, has the most money, and is growing rapidly.

Angelos is fighting it tooth and nail. I don't see it happening. Frankly - I'd contract the team. Take the Devil Rays and the Expos and fold em up. Pay out the owners and move on.

Baby Fisk
12-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Take the Devil Rays and the Expos and fold em up. Pay out the owners and move on.

How soon before the Sox-to-Florida rumours surface if that happens?

Sad
12-10-2003, 12:10 PM
DC area and Vegas seem to be good choices
I've heard the Orioles may fight a DC-move though...

jabrch
12-10-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
How soon before the Sox-to-Florida rumours surface if that happens?

Does JR have an out from the stadium lease?

bestkosher
12-10-2003, 12:14 PM
anchorage

StepsInSC
12-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
anchorage

Imagine the home field advantage they would have if they could get it come October...

HITMEN OF 77
12-10-2003, 12:34 PM
DC, with the promise of naming the team the Senators again, for the 3rd time.

bestkosher
12-10-2003, 12:35 PM
anchorage would put a whole new spin on night and day games

DSpivack
12-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Angelos can only fight it if they team is in DC, right? [though I believe they would have to play in RFK until a stadium is built]

i.e. if the team is in Northern Virginia, then his objections are much less grounded.

poorme
12-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Angelos will be a minor problem, they'll just toss him $50 million to shut up.

doogiec
12-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Put them in New Jersey, even though that wasn't an option. That would have the long term effect of controlling Yankee and Met TV revenues, at least a little.

The New York area supported three teams fairly well for many years.

MHOUSE
12-10-2003, 01:18 PM
San Antonio and Las Vegas sound like good ideas. New Orleans? Utah? South Side of Chicago? At least they'd be used to drawing no fans, having no media coverage, and we'd have Rocky Biddle back!

ondafarm
12-10-2003, 01:23 PM
How about Charlotte?

StepsInSC
12-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
How about Charlotte?

I was thinking the same thing, I could use another local team.

Here's another question, I remember hearing about Portland being in the running. If they did, would they just leave the Spos in the East or realign it right away?

PaulDrake
12-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
How about Charlotte? You beat me to it. Charlotte may now be big enough and ready. Lots of transplanted Yankees who grew up with MLB in their home towns.

nut_stock
12-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
Put them in New Jersey, even though that wasn't an option. That would have the long term effect of controlling Yankee and Met TV revenues, at least a little.

The New York area supported three teams fairly well for many years.

You beat me to it. Northern New Jersey has an enormous population base and i'd love to see the Yankee/Met market bitten into.

Frater Perdurabo
12-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
You beat me to it. Northern New Jersey has an enormous population base and i'd love to see the Yankee/Met market bitten into.

I've been beaten to the punch on both of my ideas.

My first choice would be to contract the Expos and Tampa Bay Double A's.

If they are to be kept, the Expos should move to New Jersey and the Devil Rays should move to Monterrey, Mexico or Havana, Cuba.

Hondo
12-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I've been beaten to the punch on both of my ideas.

My first choice would be to contract the Expos and Tampa Bay Double A's.

If they are to be kept, the Expos should move to New Jersey and the Devil Rays should move to Monterrey, Mexico or Havana, Cuba.

If they played in Cuba it'd make road trips fun. Teams would have to fly to another country and fly in. :) They could smuggle cigars and relief pitchers back though.

I'd like to see the expos,devil rays,rockies and cubs contracted but that'd only be in a perfect world.

Move the expos to the north side under different ownership and then chicago could have to respectable ballclubs.

Beer Me :gulp:

Mammoo
12-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Naperville...I'm serious!

doogiec
12-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo

Since the Fire moved back to Soldier Field we could use another professional team here. Cardinal Field holds about 12,000 for football, I'm sure it could be converted for baseball! The Expos would double their attendance. All the announcers would talk about how cute it is when home runs fall into the DuPage River. And there's five bars within stumbling distance, so we'd knock off some fans from the Cubs. This could work.

If only I had $150 million more dollars in the bank.......

mikef1331
12-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo

I like that idea! A whole 10min drive to the park.

mikef1331
12-11-2003, 12:44 AM
If I were the comissioner here's a list of the top cities where I would put a team:

1.Charlotte 2.Indianapolis 3.Portland 4.Salt Lake City 5.New Orleans
6.Nashville

SluggersAway
12-11-2003, 01:54 AM
Providence.

The red sox are lame.

eriqjaffe
12-11-2003, 09:45 AM
In all reality, I think the most likely place would be Portland. It's nowhere near infringing on anybody's market (like DC/Northern VA), it's a growing city, and PGE Park would be a very good temporary home while they build a Major League park.

http://www.portlandbaseballgroup.org/

Second...I'd say Indianapolis. As I recall, Victory Field down in Indy was built with the ability to expand to Major League capacity in mind, although I've been hearing the occassional rumor of the Colts leaving, which'd hurt it's "major" credibility. The Expos might wind up stepping up to a Kansas City type level. Granted, that'd be an improvement...

I don't think Vegas would be within reason, despite the fact that it's one of the fastest growing metro areas in the US. Baseball has had a long history of wanting nothing to do with gambling, and I think it would be kind of against "form" for MLB to allow a franchise right in Sin City.

San Juan isn't gonna happen...it was an experiment, but I don't think the Puerto Rican economy is really strong enough. Same reason nobody's really explored the Mexican market.

--Eriq.