PDA

View Full Version : Vina officially a Tiger

bobj4400
12-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Actually, I am kind of glad they overpaid for the guy...didnt really want to see him end up here next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1682929

KingXerxes
12-10-2003, 11:35 AM
This just further illustrates that the Tigers have absolutely no idea of what they are trying to accomplish.

poorme
12-10-2003, 11:37 AM
They're supposedly in the running for Tejada as well.

Jjav829
12-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
This just further illustrates that the Tigers have absolutely no idea of what they are trying to accomplish.

It is kinda weird, but with the awful season they had last year, I think they are just trying to look respectable rather than go into a full rebuilding mode. They are still chasing Tejada and Miguel Batista, so who knows. Maybe they will actually look like a MLB team next year.

CHISOXFAN13
12-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

Yep, the lowly Tigers sign Vina and we stick with Willie Harris.

Say what you will about Vina, at least he's proven he can play the position at the Major League level. That's more than we can say for Harris.

CHISOXFAN13
12-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
It is kinda weird, but with the awful season they had last year, I think they are just trying to look respectable rather than go into a full rebuilding mode. They are still chasing Tejada and Miguel Batista, so who knows. Maybe they will actually look like a MLB team next year.

Tejada is recieving offers at around 8 mil per season. Man, that Valentin money sure would be nice right about now.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-10-2003, 11:43 AM
I agree that the Tigers are a little lost in this acquisition, but Willie Harris does not inspire anything remotely exciting to me. At least Vina is willing to get hit by a pitch to get on base. Maybe we could convince Harris of the same...

What the Tigers need to do is take advantage of their ballpark (if that is possible) by signing as many single and double hitters with a lot of speed. Those type of players could thrive in a mamoth park like Comerica.

KingXerxes
12-10-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13

Say what you will about Vina, at least he's proven he can play the position at the Major League level. That's more than we can say for Harris.

By the time the Tigers are ready to compete for anything - Vina will long be a memory. If they want to be respectable while their youngsters mature, they should be picking guys up off the scrap heap for hundreds of thousands per year - not paying guys $3 million when they're in the twilight of a very mediocre career.

chosk8
12-10-2003, 11:56 AM
I thought Warren Morris was a nice player for them last year. Odd move IMO. Certainly, Vina's not the player who's gonna take you over the top.

Sad
12-10-2003, 11:57 AM
hoo hah
this oughtta put them over the top...

Sad
12-10-2003, 11:58 AM
errr ummmm
guess I shouldve read that previous reply

poorme
12-10-2003, 12:01 PM
The Tiger's goal is to be mediocre as opposed to one of the worst teams in baseball history. I don't have a problem with that, though $6 mil for Vina seems a little high.

CHISOXFAN13
12-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by chosk8
I thought Warren Morris was a nice player for them last year. Odd move IMO. Certainly, Vina's not the player who's gonna take you over the top.

It's not about Vina putting the Tigers over the top. It's the fact that a team that threatened to record the most losses in MLB history is more active than a team that won 86 games.

chosk8
12-10-2003, 12:09 PM
It's not about Vina putting the Tigers over the top. It's the fact that a team that threatened to record the most losses in MLB history is more active than a team that won 86 games.

I agree, but I think our situation is very different from Detroit. At least they know and realize they are in rebuilding mode, whereas we are all sitting here wondering which direction this team is going. Taking on that salary for Detroit is just weird to me.

MHOUSE
12-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Vina gives them a somewhat known name in the lineup. $3 million is a little high, but they won't be spending it on anything else in the next two years. If they can become another bottom-feeder instead of one of the worst ever then they've improved. Always nice to have veterans around the youngsters.

bestkosher
12-10-2003, 01:17 PM
it will be fun to watch vina try to get hit by a cotts pitch nexy year.

With his wildness who knows where the ball will travel to.

KingXerxes
12-10-2003, 01:17 PM

CHISOXFAN13 - That is an incredibly unfair way to look at this. The White Sox won 40 games more than the Tigers last year. The Tigers desperately need help and lots of it. They had better be far more active than the White Sox.

The problem this offseason is that everybody is comparing their own team with the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs in terms of acquisition activity.

Mammoo
12-10-2003, 01:20 PM
**** 'em...

Who wants a guy that wants to play for a 120 game loser...

RichH55
12-10-2003, 03:45 PM

He's proven he can play it poorly....why pay alot just to know the guy is going to suck?