PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Maggs to Expos

bestkosher
12-10-2003, 09:14 AM
on Espn there is article pertaining to life without Vlad, well that could be replaced with the the oooo eeee ooooo outfielder.

this is specualtion but how about the sox trading mags for vidro

or mags and pk for Livan Hernandez and Nick Johnson

bobj4400
12-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by bestkosher
on Espn therei sarticle pertaining to life without Vlad, well that could be replaces with the the oooo eeee ooooo outfielder.

this is specualtion but how about the sox trading mags for vidro

or mags and pk for livan hernandez and nick johnson

Good thing the One Step from Contraction Expos, a team from Canada which has the double drawback of not being in the US and having to pay its players in American dollars while collecting devalued Canadian dollars from its customers/sponsors, can afford a 14 million dollar player but not the small market White Sox. I refuse to call them the 'Chicago' White Sox until they change their approach...

PaulDrake
12-10-2003, 09:19 AM
The prospective trades for Maggs are making me wretch. Why not just trade him for a warm six pack of Meister Brau and a player to be named later. Will that make most everyone here happy?

anewman35
12-10-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
Good thing the One Step from Contraction Expos, a team from Canada which has the double drawback of not being in the US and having to pay its players in American dollars while collecting devalued Canadian dollars from its customers/sponsors, can afford a 14 million dollar player but not the small market White Sox. I refuse to call them the 'Chicago' White Sox until they change their approach...

I wouldn't take every rumor as fact. Just because ESPN speculates on something doesn't mean it has a chance in hell of happening.

hold2dibber
12-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by bestkosher
or mags and pk for Livan Hernandez and Nick Johnson

The Expos would be increasing their payroll By about $14 million to do that deal (Maggs $14 + PK $8 = $22; Livan $7 + Nick $1 = $8). Not gonna happen.

Sad
12-10-2003, 11:06 AM
yeah
this is the same team that was concerned about spending $50K to call up players last Sep and they're gonna fork over $$$ for Maggs?

I don't see it either...

Magglio is a class act - why not just pay the man?

Deadguy
12-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Sad

Magglio is a class act - why not just pay the man?

Whose to say they haven't tried? They reportedly offerred him a 3 yr deal at 14 mil. per year, and he and his agent rejected it.

If he doesn't want to be here after the 2004 season, then to hell with him. If that contract offer is legit, and he rejected it, then it's time to plan ahead to a future without Magglio.

If you can make a move to get an impact player, then trade him. If not, hold on to him for the 2004 season, let his production help us go for the division title, and then let him leave via Free Agency.

JC456
12-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Whose to say they haven't tried? They reportedly offerred him a 3 yr deal at 14 mil. per year, and he and his agent rejected it.

If he doesn't want to be here after the 2004 season, then to hell with him. If that contract offer is legit, and he rejected it, then it's time to plan ahead to a future without Magglio.

If you can make a move to get an impact player, then trade him. If not, hold on to him for the 2004 season, let his production help us go for the division title, and then let him leave via Free Agency.

I've said it before, players like playing in ballparks where fans come out and watch. The boycotting Sox fans only drive quality players away. Sometimes money isn't the only thing.

In other words, players don't want to play for the Sox because the fan base doesn't support them on their home field.

duke of dorwood
12-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Apparently prospctive players boycott this owner too

JC456
12-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Apparently prospctive players boycott this owner too

Nope, they thumb their nose at the sox fan base. Just go to another board and see what is said about the Sox fan not showing up. The players are boycotting the fan.

PaulDrake
12-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by JC456
Nope, they thumb their nose at the sox fan base. Just go to another board and see what is said about the Sox fan not showing up. The players are boycotting the fan. I couldn't disagree with you more. Sox fans are not the basis of the problem. Sox fans aren't lemmings like those who flock to that "shrine" on the North Side. When it looked like management was making an effort the fans responded with some of the biggest walk up sales ever. If you've got a problem direct to the great and wise JR and his crack lackeys, I mean management team. Sox fans are as loyal, knowledgeable and long suffering as they come.

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Players always like to talk about personal preferences when they are free agents. Things like warm weather, close to home, chance to win, etc. are heard every year coming out of free agents mouths when visiting. Yet, in the end, it always seems to be the team that offers the most money that gets the player (nothing wrong with that by the way). The only time personal preferences really come into play is when there are several offers at the same amount. That rarely happens for the top players.

If we are the top offer, or within sniffing distance of the top offer, Maggs will stay. Enough about this stupidity with the fans. Do you think a player can tell the difference between 25 or 30 thousand fans in a stadium? It sure didn't seem to matter to Castillo and Lowell (not to mention Pudge who would have been back had the money been right).

jeremyb1
12-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The Expos would be increasing their payroll By about $14 million to do that deal (Maggs $14 + PK $8 = $22; Livan $7 + Nick $1 = $8). Not gonna happen.

The article in question (I didn't pickup any speculation about a ChiSox trade) discusses how with Vlad's departure, the club could easily be 10 million under budget by non-tendering some of their more worthless players. I'd love to deal Maggs to the Expos providing we receive quality player sback and shed salary. They have some major young talent. I'd kill to see Brad Wilkerson in a Sox uniform.

jordan23ventura
12-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

But if it did, I would indeed credit KW for being creative. The funny thing is that with all the negativity surrounding this team from the fans and the media, if KW were to pull something like this off this team could contend. All they would need to do is then drop Valentin or Koch, hopefully both, to stock up a bullpen, add a No. 3 caliber pitcher and get a CF. Poof, magic. Another cheap contender.

MRKARNO
12-10-2003, 10:42 PM
I think the club has an option on Livan for this year and I wouldnt expect them to pick it up at 6 mil, but any trade with the expos probably would involve taking vidro and his 7 mil

hold2dibber
12-10-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
But if it did, I would indeed credit KW for being creative. The funny thing is that with all the negativity surrounding this team from the fans and the media, if KW were to pull something like this off this team could contend. All they would need to do is then drop Valentin or Koch, hopefully both, to stock up a bullpen, add a No. 3 caliber pitcher and get a CF. Poof, magic. Another cheap contender.

Poof, magic being the operative words. That's like saying "If the Sox could sign Guerrero for $8 million/year and trade Konerko for Randy Johnson, then they'd really be in good shape." I'm not saying that it's impossible that KW will be able to improve the team without adding payroll - just that this particular deal is impossible.

jeremyb1
12-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I think the club has an option on Livan for this year and I wouldnt expect them to pick it up at 6 mil, but any trade with the expos probably would involve taking vidro and his 7 mil

Livan's option was vested last season when he reached a certain amount of innings pitched IIRC. I've said before I'd trade Carlos for Livan straight up. The Salaries would be close to equal and we could sign someone to reproduce Carlos' production in the outfield (Mondesi, Rondell White, Cruz Jr., Burnitz) much cheaper and much easier than we can sign a pitcher of Hernandez's calliber.

JC456
12-11-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by PaulDrake
I couldn't disagree with you more. Sox fans are not the basis of the problem. Sox fans aren't lemmings like those who flock to that "shrine" on the North Side. When it looked like management was making an effort the fans responded with some of the biggest walk up sales ever. If you've got a problem direct to the great and wise JR and his crack lackeys, I mean management team. Sox fans are as loyal, knowledgeable and long suffering as they come.

What are Sox fans loyal to?

I keep reading and hearing this. You all are nuts. No one owes you nothing.

I am Loyal to the Sox and root and I watch and support the players. I don't necessarily like JR but I like the White Sox team. Obviously you don't. YOu only like elements that you thyink you can control. Those which you cannot.

Your argument is BS. You are a not a Sox fan!!!!

JC456
12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Players always like to talk about personal preferences when they are free agents. Things like warm weather, close to home, chance to win, etc. are heard every year coming out of free agents mouths when visiting. Yet, in the end, it always seems to be the team that offers the most money that gets the player (nothing wrong with that by the way). The only time personal preferences really come into play is when there are several offers at the same amount. That rarely happens for the top players.

If we are the top offer, or within sniffing distance of the top offer, Maggs will stay. Enough about this stupidity with the fans. Do you think a player can tell the difference between 25 or 30 thousand fans in a stadium? It sure didn't seem to matter to Castillo and Lowell (not to mention Pudge who would have been back had the money been right).
\
Yeah and that is why Petit just signed with Houston for 7 mil less. Shut up. You no nothing.

kittle42
12-12-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by JC456
\
Yeah and that is why Petit just signed with Houston for 7 mil less. Shut up. You no nothing.

Did the Astros sign former NHL defenseman Michel Petit? Ooooh, you must mean Pettitte.

I also know that you know nothing of the English language.

Gumshoe
12-12-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Livan's option was vested last season when he reached a certain amount of innings pitched IIRC. I've said before I'd trade Carlos for Livan straight up. The Salaries would be close to equal and we could sign someone to reproduce Carlos' production in the outfield (Mondesi, Rondell White, Cruz Jr., Burnitz) much cheaper and much easier than we can sign a pitcher of Hernandez's calliber.

Jeremy, DUDE, that is terrible. Livan? Another very mediocre NL pitcher? Come on. C Lee has a WAY bigger upside than Livan. You've gotta be nutz to go after Livan, let alone CONSIDER trading Carlos. Crazy Crazy Crazy.

My lord this world is coming to an end with thoughts like tha