PDA

View Full Version : Scrubs close to signing Pudge?


eriqjaffe
12-10-2003, 08:05 AM
Not that Yahoo! should be anybody's main source of news, but...

Earlier this afternoon, KSAZ-TV in Phoenix, Arizona leaked word that the Cubs and free agent catcher Ivan Rodriguez were closing in on a deal. CubsTalk.com has since learned from sources that a deal for Rodriguez is on the table and could be finalized soon.

At this rate, the Sox'll easily be the best team in the PCL.

--Eriq.

jabrch
12-10-2003, 08:10 AM
A Cubs fan friend of mine called me about this last night. The Arizona station is reporting it as serious negotiations. I can't believe they would be in the 4 year 40mm range that the article reports. That's a lot of scratch for a 30+ year old catcher. They have a lot of FAs next year (including Wood, Clement, Alou and Ramierez) and also have Prior arbitration eligible. If they want to keep that team together, they need to be sure $ is budgeted for next years free agent crop.


That said, if they get Pudge - they become the heavy favorite in the NL Central.

BeerHandle
12-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Now, this is really getting depressing! I work with too many Cubs fans................ugh!

SpringfldFan
12-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
A Cubs fan friend of mine called me about this last night. The Arizona station is reporting it as serious negotiations. I can't believe they would be in the 4 year 40mm range that the article reports. That's a lot of scratch for a 30+ year old catcher. They have a lot of FAs next year (including Wood, Clement, Alou and Ramierez) and also have Prior arbitration eligible. If they want to keep that team together, they need to be sure $ is budgeted for next years free agent crop.


Their upcoming FA situation is inconsequential as it now appears money is no object for Cub management.

bestkosher
12-10-2003, 08:32 AM
I love arizona and all but since when did they become a mecca for sports reporting.

Frank the Tank
12-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Now I'm really depressed :(:

BeerHandle
12-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by bestkosher
I love arizona and all but since when did they become a mecca for sports reporting.

They might be a better source then Chicago since they have a World Series more recently then Chicago.

bestkosher
12-10-2003, 08:47 AM
how is I-Rod assocaited with Arizona though, you think it would come out of Florida, Chicago or New York or LA, not Az, does his agent live in AZ or something

bobj4400
12-10-2003, 09:08 AM
this is just a rumor...bruce levine said this morning that there have been NO talks between IRod and the Cubs.

WhiteSoxWinner
12-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
this is just a rumor...bruce levine said this morning that there have been NO talks between IRod and the Cubs.

George Offerman of the Score said the same thing. He said the Cubs were not in talks and probably would not be unless I-Rod's price came way down due to no one signing him at his current asking price. I had to laugh at Cubbie Murph this morning because each time Offerman reiterated that the Cubs were not in the running, Murph kept saying something to the effect, "OK, not this minute, but they are going to sign him," as if it were a foregone conclusion that I-Rod would sign.

(I was stuck listening to those two dopes down the dial because I went into work late. It is either them or the hit or miss Tony Kornheiser who may talk sports or might be babbling about what he watched on TV last night.)

eriqjaffe
12-10-2003, 10:38 AM
Well, my preface was meant as a "take this with a grain of salt" comment....

But when you get Yahoo! News referring to a TV station it Arizona...

And the article says, "CubsTalk.com has since learned from sources..."

You have to take it for what it's worth. Probably nothing.

Hendry's actions this off-season would certainly lead me to believe that he's likely to try to sign Pudge. Especially given the Scrubs' relative weakness behind the plate. Even moreso, given how Pudge was super-clutch in the postseason. Something the Scrubs would love to learn how to do.

But it's probably nothing.

I sure hope it's nothing.

--Eriq.

bobj4400
12-10-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
I had to laugh at Cubbie Murph this morning because each time Offerman reiterated that the Cubs were not in the running, Murph kept saying something to the effect, "OK, not this minute, but they are going to sign him," as if it were a foregone conclusion that I-Rod would sign.

I also listened to Murph's crap this morning. I tuned in when he had just read the report from the Arizona newspaper. You could hear his boner growing over the air. After reading the report, Murph then spent 10 minutes constructing how Baker will make out his lineup this year with IRod as his catcher and #2 hitter. In the meantime, a caller who had been listening to ESPN and heard the Bruce Levine report saying the Cubs had had no talks with IRod brought this up to Murph. Immediately Murph jumped on him and said that Jim Hendry wouldnt tell anyone what potential free agents he was talking too and that report had to be false. This completely contradicted his immediate swallowing hook, line, and sinker of the unsubstantiated Arizona report about the Cubs signing IRod.

KingXerxes
12-10-2003, 10:46 AM
I don't think there is any way the Cubs will sign Ivan Rodriguez - certainly not at the money he's looking for.

MHOUSE
12-10-2003, 04:38 PM
According to Boras, his agent, the two sides haven't talked at all. He did say they would sit down during the winter meetings though.

DrCrawdad
12-10-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I also listened to Murph's crap this morning. I tuned in when he had just read the report from the Arizona newspaper. You could hear his boner growing over the air. After reading the report, Murph then spent 10 minutes constructing how Baker will make out his lineup this year with IRod as his catcher and #2 hitter. In the meantime, a caller who had been listening to ESPN and heard the Bruce Levine report saying the Cubs had had no talks with IRod brought this up to Murph. Immediately Murph jumped on him and said that Jim Hendry wouldn't tell anyone what potential free agents he was talking too and that report had to be false. This completely contradicted his immediate swallowing hook, line, and sinker of the unsubstantiated Arizona report about the Cubs signing IRod.

Murph didn't like the self-love interuptus.?