PDA

View Full Version : Maddux Deal?

BeerHandle
12-10-2003, 09:05 AM
I haven't seen much news on Greg Maddux. What would it take for the Sox to bring in one of the most consistent pitchers in MLB history? I would love to see Greg Maddux get his 300th win in Comiskey and hopefully for the Central Leading White Sox! Wow, would that really stick it to the Cubs.

poorme
12-10-2003, 09:11 AM
I'd like to see it too. Unfortunately, I think we would be outbid as usual.

BeerHandle
12-10-2003, 09:23 AM
I wonder what Maddux will cost for a one year conract plus a one year option. He made $14.75 mil last year.

Career Stats
289 Wins
163 Loss
2.89 ERA

poorme
12-10-2003, 09:26 AM
How about a two year $18 million deal? I read that he wants to pitch 4-5 more years. He pretty much returned to form after the all-star break.

Frank the Tank
12-10-2003, 09:41 AM
I would much rather sign a Ponson or Freddy Garcia than Maddox. I just can't picture Greg Maddox in a Sox uniform and it is always dangerous bringing in a pitcher with no AL experience.

pcullotta
12-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Maddux does not want to play in the American Leauge because he wouldn't get to bat. (according to espn)

poorme
12-10-2003, 09:50 AM
from Mariotti:

Last week, Maddux told the suburban Daily Herald that he would like to finish his career with either Chicago team.

Frank the Tank
12-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by poorme
from Mariotti:

Last week, Maddux told the suburban Daily Herald that he would like to finish his career with either Chicago team.

Roberto Alomar, Bartolo Colon, etc..., all said they loved playing for the White Sox. Its just "pillow-talk".

Jjav829
12-10-2003, 11:24 AM
How about a two year $18 million deal? I read that he wants to pitch 4-5 more years. He pretty much returned to form after the all-star break.

I think that's probably a little high. I don't see him getting more than $6-7 million a year. A 3.96 ERA in the NL last year. I don't have much interest. I would rather see them use than money to bring in Ponson.

DrCrawdad
12-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Maddux signing with the Sox seems like a pipe dream, one that I'm not certain would be good for the Sox. That said, watch this be the deal the Sox make.

KingXerxes
12-10-2003, 11:41 AM
from Mariotti:

And told the San Franciso Examiner that he really loves the Giants, and told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that he thought the Twins were really on to something, and told the Post-Dispatch that the Cardinals were always his team of choice, and told the Plain-Dealer that he thought the Indians were a perfect fit, and told both the Post and the Times that he thought he would look great in either a Yankee or a Met uniform and on and on and on.

In other news, Curt Schilling announces that he will only play for a team in a dome because of his wife's skin cancer.

When do the Red Sox start construction on the dome?

BeerHandle
12-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Great points.....he just wants to play for a team that will pay him the most. Keeping every door open.

WHarris13
12-10-2003, 04:37 PM
I heard on 97.9 this morning that Maddux to the White Sox is a true rumor. They said it was not just speculation, but a real rumor.

DrCrawdad
12-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by WHarris13
I heard on 97.9 this morning that Maddux to the White Sox is a true rumor. They said it was not just speculation, but a real rumor.

Signing Maddux would create a certain amount of energy or buzz. It remains to be seen though how Maddux would perform in the AL.

If the Sox were to sign Maddux you can be sure would get a rise out of Cubbie fans, if that's what you're looking to produce.

All that said, IIRC Boras is Maddux' agent so the Sox have virtually no chance in signing him anyway.

fledgedrallycap
12-10-2003, 04:47 PM
I have read in numerous publications that Maddox does not wish to pitch in the American League.

mandmandm
12-10-2003, 04:51 PM
I have read in numerous publications that Reinsdorf does not pay for quality pitchers to pitch in the American League.

guillen4life13
12-10-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by WHarris13

Nothing personal on you, but:

97.9 is a hard rock radio station. What the hell would they know about this, and since when did they become a credible source on information of this nature?

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2003, 05:47 PM
SCOTT BORAS just in case any of you were getting your hopes up.

Tekijawa
12-10-2003, 05:48 PM
He has also said that he doesn't want to play in the AL because he likes to bat

Mammoo
12-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
He has also said that he doesn't want to play in the AL because he likes to bat

AAAAAAALLLLLLL righty then! :D:

mandmandm
12-10-2003, 05:52 PM
I think the dj was playing a Rush record backward and it told him "White Sox will get Maddux, White Sox will get Maddux."

BeerHandle
12-10-2003, 05:56 PM
A lot of conflicting reports on Maddux. Has anyone seen anything on the Atlanta message board, ESPN.com or on SI.com?

Baby Fisk
12-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
I think the dj was playing a Rush record backward and it told him "White Sox will get Maddux, White Sox will get Maddux."

:KW
"...and we are pleased to announce we've signed a 3 year, $12 million deal for Canadian phenom Tom Sawyer."

WHarris13
12-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Nothing personal on you, but:

97.9 is a hard rock radio station. What the hell would they know about this, and since when did they become a credible source on information of this nature?
Sorry, if saying that pissed you off. :?: But the guy on there said he was friends with a baseball insider/journalist and his the guy said the Sox are pursuin Maddux.

A.T. Money
12-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Greg Maddux is friends with Hawk Harrelson. I can honestly see the White Sox being in Maddux's picture. And what better way to stick it to the Cubs.

On the flip side, you have Scott Boras.

DrCrawdad
12-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Greg Maddux is friends with Hawk Harrelson. I can honestly see the White Sox being in Maddux's picture. And what better way to stick it to the Cubs.

On the flip side, you have Scott Boras.

Maddux is friends with Hawk? Amazing. I love Hawk.

A.T. Money
12-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Hawk would talk about how he and Greg would golf together in the offseason during the broadcasts.

jordan23ventura
12-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Maddux is awesome. Even though I worry about NL pitchers making the transition, as my olympic hero Kurt Angle would say "It's Greg freakin' Maddux!"

I would much rather give that money to a Maddux than a Ponson. Ponson is the type of guy that you sign when you need a strong No. 3 guy. This team needs an ace. This team needs a respectable leader with experience. Most of all, this team needs to make a statement.

Just watch JR call him washed up, sending him to the North Side where he narrowly beats out teammate Mark Prior for the NL Cy Young. Hey Jerry - there's a difference between Maddux and Pippen!

rcescato
12-10-2003, 11:21 PM
i think if any of you think we have a chance at maddux have drank to much kool-aid. a trade is about all that will happen this off-season. I feel like the bulls a few years ago.

BeerHandle
12-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Maddux wasn't offered Arbitration. He is ours for the taking if we want him and he wants to golf with Hawk as a few messages have read.

I hear Hawk now, "I love you Greg!" after a complete game.