PDA

View Full Version : Mariotti is right

thepaulbowski
12-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Couldn't be any closer to the truth.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay10.html

cornball
12-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Wow, I guess that pretty much covers it and I usually don't sgree with his column.

poorme
12-10-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by cornball
Wow, I guess that pretty much covers it and I usually don't sgree with his column.

yep

Rocky Soprano
12-10-2003, 09:21 AM
I read this on the way to work on the train and kept saying, this is 100% true. I couldnt belive it.

miker
12-10-2003, 09:33 AM
He's still a hack journalist. Anyone on this board could of written this column.

southpaw40
12-10-2003, 09:49 AM
Because of the timing of the article, I question whether it's an attempt at a "hatchet job" because of his personal vendetta against the team.
IMO the article would have been more appropriate this time next week IF the Sox fail to accomplish any moves at the winter meetings this weekend.

Realist
12-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Mariotti is a freak. I either completely agree with his columns or I think he's completely nuts. For the most part I think he's right on the money with this one - with the exception of the rip on the ballpark. I always thought New Comiskey was very underrated (outside of the nitemare of an upper deck, but they're fixin' that as I type this).

PaleHoseRon
12-10-2003, 09:57 AM
Reading this article is like reading this board!! Knowing that he is a hack, I wouldn't be suprised if he is just plagarizing the words he reads here just like Bernard Weinraub of the New York Times.

Any way to know if he gets on this board?

Frank the Tank
12-10-2003, 10:00 AM
He might have written a good article, but his eyebrows still scare the hell out of me.

thepaulbowski
12-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by southpaw40
Because of the timing of the article, I question whether it's an attempt at a "hatchet job" because of his personal vendetta against the team.
IMO the article would have been more appropriate this time next week IF the Sox fail to accomplish any moves at the winter meetings this weekend.

He's written aricles bashing the other club on the north side, this is no conspiracy, it's the truth. The Sox rivals are busy improving their teams and the Sox lose how many people and it's a "hatchet job" against the Sox when he states this. Hello?!?! He's reiterating what many people who post on board think.

fledgedrallycap
12-10-2003, 10:04 AM
How many times must we say this - The Winter meetings haven't even occured yet and we're five months from Opening Day. It hasn't been a very exciting couple months; but show some patience and pass judgement in April.

Realist
12-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseRon
Reading this article is like reading this board!! Knowing that he is a hack, I wouldn't be suprised if he is just plagarizing the words he reads here just like Bernard Weinraub of the New York Times.

This site is the best reference for instant feedback for what Sox fans are thinking (at least the diseasedly obsessed ones like myself). I'd think anybody writing about the thoughts and feelings of Sox fans would have to have WSI saved to favorites.

Sad
12-10-2003, 10:10 AM
yes I cannot stand this dolt but he is right on w/ this one...

what are they doing over there?
letting ALL free agents get away...
Maggs'll be next in some trade that'll backfire
:angry:
I'm done with the Hawks & I'm getting closer to a '04 SOX hiatus...

Hangar18
12-10-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseRon

I KNOW FOR A FACT he reads this board, and gets some of his Ideas for his SOX articles (not that theres anything wrong with that, coming heres a good way to Gauge what were thinking)
But, I know many other "journalists" are here checking out whats going on too. This is an Excellent Article and I wish he would get Kiley it up a bit, and start a 2 week Stretch of Sox Mgmt Bashing to get us some Badly Needed Media Attention.

Baby Fisk
12-10-2003, 12:16 PM
:KW
"Everybody take it down a notch. I've got something cooking that will put your anxieties to rest. Two words: Bo. Jackson. See you at the world series parade."

StepsInSC
12-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
:KW
"Everybody take it down a notch. I've got something cooking that will put your anxieties to rest. Two words: Bo. Jackson. See you at the world series parade."

LMAO

Dan H
12-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
How many times must we say this - The Winter meetings haven't even occured yet and we're five months from Opening Day. It hasn't been a very exciting couple months; but show some patience and pass judgement in April.

I'll pass judgement a lot sooner if the Sox don't do something at the winter meetings. I won't be happy if all they care about is their budget.

inta
12-10-2003, 09:04 PM
the best part of that article was the part about the sox removing "chicago" from their name.

so freakin' true... buncha sad sacks.

i hope attendance doesnt even top 1mill this year. get JR the hell out of this town, i'd rather see the sox leave than be a chicago version of the brewers.

Thunderstruck30
12-10-2003, 09:47 PM
I dont know why most of u hate Mariotti. He realizes that we just want a winner. He seems to know what its like to be us. He understands us. I dont know why u always rip on him.

flo-B-flo
12-10-2003, 09:47 PM
Mariotti was pretty much on his game all summer when he ripped the Sox management. After the various deals that upgraded the team he gave KW his due. He also tore into Frank and Manuel on several occasions, earned and unearned. Once again in this article he nailed the sentiments of lots of believers on this site. There are many Sox fans (traitors) I know that were not whining during the flub flop of 2003. They actually refered to the scrubs as a major league team. Even after all that they get DLee, Latroya and get better. (theoretically) Meanwhile where are JR and KW? Question for JR. Can we expect to compete for a world championship in 2004? If so (or if not) I got a minor league franchise in Brooklyn you need to look at.

red faber
12-13-2003, 04:08 AM
i personally can't stand mariotti,but his comments ring true unfortunately....

TommyJohn
12-13-2003, 06:26 AM
:moron

The South Side unmentionables should remove CHICAGO from
their uniforms and Steve (AAAAAHHHHH!!!) Bartman should
remove himself from the human race! Only then will I be a truly
happy individual!!!

Soxfest
12-13-2003, 10:14 AM
I agree with what he said Sox have all but conceded to NY/Bos

voodoochile
12-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by miker
He's still a hack journalist. Anyone on this board could of written this column.

They practically did. Don't kid yourself. He came to WSI, read some stuff and then used what he needed.

Nothing in that article that hasn't been said here by posters and columnists alike. Still, it is nice that WSI is now reaching a larger audience, even if we don't get the credit...

Lip Man 1
12-13-2003, 02:20 PM
Hanger made a comment that he knows for a fact that Jay comes to WSI. I wonder if he'd tell us how he knows this (If it's not a confidential matter)

I'm curious.

Lip

doublem23
12-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Couldn't be any closer to the truth.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay10.html

Nice of him to bring to light what everyone who pays attention to Chicago baseball has known for at least a decade now.

:moron
I'm so great!

faneidde
12-13-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I know, and you are most likely right, but aren't you at least a little concerned the Sox have done absolutely nothing this offseason, while seeing many players they were targeting get away? Mariotti is right on the money in my opinion.

TornLabrum
12-13-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
I know, and you are most likely right, but aren't you at least a little concerned the Sox have done absolutely nothing this offseason, while seeing many players they were targeting get away? Mariotti is right on the money in my opinion.

It looks as if they're not going to do anything during the winter meetings either. So my question is, "When do we start being concerned?"