PDA

View Full Version : Colon Gone...Good for SOX?

mikef1331
12-10-2003, 01:37 AM
I posted something similar to this in another topic, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

Here are a few quotes I got from the article on MLB.com (http://www.mlb.com/) about the Colon deal that I found interesting.

"The Angels already have signed free-agent right-hander Kelvim Escobar for three years and $18.75 million, giving them six starters.
That means it's likely that one of the remaining four -- Jarrod Washburn, John Lackey, Ramon Ortiz and Aaron Sele -- will be traded soon, probably for help at first base or in the outfield."

"As for the Angels' remaining starters, Washburn and Ortiz are a lot more likely to be on the trading block than Lackey and Sele.

"Moreno on Tuesday didn't deny that the Angels are far from finished making headlines this winter.

"We're trying to keep our options open," Moreno told the Associated Press.
"But we feel we are in position to maneuver now."

I think the Colon deal could possibly work out in the White Sox favor.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Konerko for Washburn trade. :smile: Wasburn is a LHP and he pitched around 200 innings in his last 2 seasons.

nodiggity59
12-10-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by mikef1331
I posted something similar to this in another topic, but I think it deserves it's own thread.

Here are a few quotes I got from the article on MLB.com (http://www.mlb.com/) about the Colon deal that I found interesting.

"The Angels already have signed free-agent right-hander Kelvim Escobar for three years and $18.75 million, giving them six starters.
That means it's likely that one of the remaining four -- Jarrod Washburn, John Lackey, Ramon Ortiz and Aaron Sele -- will be traded soon, probably for help at first base or in the outfield."

"As for the Angels' remaining starters, Washburn and Ortiz are a lot more likely to be on the trading block than Lackey and Sele.

"Moreno on Tuesday didn't deny that the Angels are far from finished making headlines this winter.

"We're trying to keep our options open," Moreno told the Associated Press.
"But we feel we are in position to maneuver now."

I think the Colon deal could possibly work out in the White Sox favor.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Konerko for Washburn trade. :smile: Wasburn is a LHP and he pitched around 200 innings in his last 2 seasons.

I could definitely see that happening. Unless of course the Angels deal for Garciaparra.... but then the Dodgers will be even more desperate!

Nice positive angle.

LASOXFAN
12-10-2003, 02:26 AM
The Angels picked up a solid workhorse that they needed to keep up with Seattle and Oakland, no doubt. But they overpaid, thinks me. But it is funny what happens when you win a world series. Suddenly fans pack the seats the next year, and the year after. There's hope. And suddenly you have more money to spend on a team and can afford to perhaps "over pay" for a guy you KNOW will pay dividends when he goes 8 or 9 innings for a victory.

Funny how winning breeds success for a small market franchise, even one formerly owned by the mouse house.

Funny....ain't it JR?

I can't see the Angels losing Washburn. Say so long to Sele.

BeerHandle
12-10-2003, 08:43 AM
I'm glad the Sox didn't sign Colon for that amount of money. He is now overweight and overpaid. Damn I'm bitter!!!

mike squires
12-10-2003, 08:50 AM
I'll miss Cologne as a workhorse who ate up all of those innings. but the bottom line is he put up only sub .500 numbers. I think there is a guy out there who can win 12-15 games for us. THe Whitesox have alot of pitchers who can only go 5 to 6 innings. That is the only downside to losing Colone. I really believe Bartolo will be hurt and quite possible have season ending surgery in the next year or so. The Angles overpaid for him. You'd think MLB team would ahve learned by now. The Angles will realize this was a mistake.

fledgedrallycap
12-10-2003, 10:02 AM
I posted a thread a month or two ago stating if Colon signed for that kind of money, the Sox would be nuts to match it. Let's use that 12 million to get Ponson and another veteran pitcher like Erickson.