PDA

View Full Version : What did Wills/Melton Say?

Viva Magglio
07-23-2001, 10:10 PM
For those of us who did not hear the postgame show, what did Dave Wills and Bill Melton say? Better yet, did they get any comments from Jerry Manuel or the players?

Jjav829
07-23-2001, 11:01 PM
There was no postgame show. The game was on WCIU.

Soxheads
07-23-2001, 11:03 PM
i hate wciu

doublem23
07-23-2001, 11:11 PM
I think Viva was talking about the postgame on ESPN-1000.

Wills and Melton, well, you could tell that they were pissed, but they were trying to be diplomatic about it. Wills said something along the lines of "the ump should have ejected Valentin, and be done with it instead of taking it out on the team, which is what seemed to have happened."

They were mad, but they were hiding it.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2001, 11:15 PM
Wills and Melton were really down on the Sox hitters. Canseco, Ordonez, and Konerko came in for special criticism.

They were pissed at the umpire, but Melton wasn't as upset as you might expect. He has seen umpires do this in the past and he didn't think much good could come from making a big stink about it.

Wills seemed to agree. He advocated somebody sending a tape to the league office but agreed at some point the complaining can come back to bite you because umpires do hold grudges inspite of their claims to the contrary.

I didn't hear Hawk's call of the game. I wish I had heard what he said. Rooney and Farmer were complaining but judging by others' posts, Hawk was more animated.