PDA

View Full Version : Just a perpsective on the FA's we lost

MRKARNO
12-09-2003, 11:56 PM
I know this quote was from the hot stove ESPN thread but I think that my response deserves it's own thread.

Originally posted by jeremyb1
Its not an issue of us being better for letting them go, its an issue of not really having another option. Look at the free agents we let go and how much we would've ended up paying them if we'd resigned them:

Colon - 12 million
Alomar - 3 million
Everett - 7 million
Gordon - 3.5 million
Graff - 1 million
Sullivan - 2.5 million

That's 24 million dollars for a club that's supposedly about three million under budget right now. I don't see where that extra 21 million dollars comes from.

The reason we could get Bartolo was because the people we have under contract now were there for less money than this year. I think Colon was meant to be a one year gig from the start. KW could makes a "go for it this year" move like this because we had the financial flexability last year.

Alomar, Everett and Sullivan were just part of KW's "go for it because we have the core" plan. I dont see why he would refrain from doing the same this year if we were contending whether behind or ahead.

Graf- 1 mil is too much for his position. Besides, Uribe might actually be part of the future.

Gordon-We gave him the opportunity to ressurect himself from the dead. He did and moved on to greener pastures. No reason why we can't try the same this year.

And if you look at it this way, it makes a lot more sense.

nodiggity59
12-10-2003, 12:03 AM
I agree. Our approach this year is no different from last year.

Too bad we didn't fire JM last year.

MRKARNO
12-10-2003, 12:07 AM
And the fact is that we're not losing anyone from our core. Maggs is part of the core. Losing him is a lot different than Colon. And only one of those players was here for more than one year (graf).

nodiggity59
12-10-2003, 12:23 AM
You know I get upset every time I read an article on the Twins saying they've got a prospect who'll fill in for a lost agent b/c so many Sox fans are agianst that and yet it works.

It is acceptable IMO to start unproven youngsters or less than perfect veterans. Now, that can't address all of our pitching but it certainly helps some of it. The Cubs are getting props for spending dough but half the people on this board wouldnt accept half the players on their team, or at least wouldnt have last year.

My point is, I guess, is that every team rolls the dice on a few positions every year. Heck, even the Yankees didnt handle 3B properly till midseason. It takes some luck and some surprise guys stepping up to win. Hopefully some of our question marks (Garland, Cotts, Koch, Harris, Rowand, Uribe, Reed, or Borchard) will step up next year.

To expect a solid, end of the season line up on opening day is naive.

PS: That being said the Sox still need at least a couple pitchers;)

hold2dibber
12-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by nodiggity59
You know I get upset every time I read an article on the Twins saying they've got a prospect who'll fill in for a lost agent b/c so many Sox fans are agianst that and yet it works.

It is acceptable IMO to start unproven youngsters or less than perfect veterans. Now, that can't address all of our pitching but it certainly helps some of it. The Cubs are getting props for spending dough but half the people on this board wouldnt accept half the players on their team, or at least wouldnt have last year.

My point is, I guess, is that every team rolls the dice on a few positions every year. Heck, even the Yankees didnt handle 3B properly till midseason. It takes some luck and some surprise guys stepping up to win. Hopefully some of our question marks (Garland, Cotts, Koch, Harris, Rowand, Uribe, Reed, or Borchard) will step up next year.

To expect a solid, end of the season line up on opening day is naive.

PS: That being said the Sox still need at least a couple pitchers;)

You make it sound as if the Sox are a contender trying to plug just a few holes. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. They have the following holes in the roster right now:

Top of the rotation starter
Bottom of the rotation starter
Two bullpen arms
Second base (it's not like the Sox have a super stud prospect coming up - Willie Harris is the only option right now and I for one don't think he'll ever be a MLB starter)
Center Field (Rowand is a 4th outfielder)
Left handed stick off the bench

And the team has virtually no money to spend on free agents. It's ugly right now. The current roster is, at best, an 85 win team, and that's only if Rauch is a solid major league pitcher, Loaiza remains a top flight starter, Marte can handle closing and the Sox get increased offense from Konerko/Crede/Olivo. That's a lot of "if's". And 85 wins doesn't excite me much anyway.

anewman35
12-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
You make it sound as if the Sox are a contender trying to plug just a few holes. But that couldn't be farther from the truth.

In the East or West, the Sox have no chance. However, the Sox are in the Central - if you think the Sox can't at least compete with KC/Minnesota/Cleveland/Detroit, you're crazy. I'm not saying we'd dominate, because we won't, but I fail to see how you think those teams are so much better.

voodoochile
12-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
You make it sound as if the Sox are a contender trying to plug just a few holes. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. They have the following holes in the roster right now:

Top of the rotation starter
Bottom of the rotation starter
Two bullpen arms
Second base (it's not like the Sox have a super stud prospect coming up - Willie Harris is the only option right now and I for one don't think he'll ever be a MLB starter)
Center Field (Rowand is a 4th outfielder)
Left handed stick off the bench

And the team has virtually no money to spend on free agents. It's ugly right now. The current roster is, at best, an 85 win team, and that's only if Rauch is a solid major league pitcher, Loaiza remains a top flight starter, Marte can handle closing and the Sox get increased offense from Konerko/Crede/Olivo. That's a lot of "if's". And 85 wins doesn't excite me much anyway.

Those holes are of their own making. They had most of those players signed last year but have chosen to let them walk away.

They created their own holes this time around...

:selljerry