PDA

View Full Version : Patience!

BamaDoc
12-09-2003, 10:09 PM
What I was trying to allude to in a previous post is that if you make mid season trades for fading veterans in hopes of a resurgance, it is rare to keep them. The Sox being near managements perscribed budget limit will likely move a salary for little return and/or bottom feed for what will be decent players who require a winter of being slaped in the face in order to understand that a job for a million or so a year is a lot better than flipping burgers. I would love for us to have the Yankees payroll but it ain't happenin here. We will all post with frustration about a lack of progress but the team probably won't shake out till spring. My personal pick would be more starting pitching and then some left handed balance. I am very surprised that Valentin was picked up. His pickup argues against a total rebuilding scenerio due to his 5 million salary. Maybe we have hope.

lowesox
12-10-2003, 12:31 AM
It's funny - the only player move we've made towards retaining someone is the one i didn't think we should make. I would have much rather saw a cheap, young shortstop. If we are throwing money away with Koch and Konerko - then we are definitely throwing it away with Valentin.

But I'm tired of people saying to be patient. As a team with payroll constraints striking early is paramount. As teams fill up and players disapear we'll start running out of options. Kenny had a pretty good offseason last year, but this year he's **** the bed. Guardado, Hawkins, Lightenberg were three relievers we should have made a play for. Everybody is saying that Marte is ready to close. Fine, I agree. But this team is losing two very important right handed relievers and the market is drying up quickly to replace them. The best way to get good relievers in the offseason is through FA. Who's left.

We're asleep and time is almost up. It's time to get off your ass Kenny. You're already late.

Incidentally, for those who think KW been patient - you're wrong. He put all his eggs into the Colon basket and came up empty. He knows he's screwed now too.

MisterB
12-10-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
We're asleep and time is almost up.

Yeah only 4 months left until the season starts. Time's running out! :o:

Chisox_cali
12-10-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
Yeah only 4 months left until the season starts. Time's running out! :o:

What are you talking about? Opening day isn't tomorrow?!?! I'm SHOCKED!!!

cornball
12-10-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by BamaDoc
I would love for us to have the Yankees payroll but it ain't happenin here.

The payroll of Texas, St Louis, San Fran, Seattle, Anahiem, Cubs to name a few would be just fine.

soxtalker
12-10-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
...But I'm tired of people saying to be patient. As a team with payroll constraints striking early is paramount. As teams fill up and players disapear we'll start running out of options...

That all depends on how what the market is like. And that market wasn't really defined until the arbitration deadline last Sunday. This is a market in which there are a lot of free agents and many other teams that are near their budget limits.