PDA

View Full Version : The Enemy

DSpivack
12-09-2003, 10:08 PM
I hate to be yet another White Sox fan complaining of the Cubs, but...

Am I the only one who thinks that all their moves are quite scary [given that they appear to not be as cheap as their south side counterparts], and think they should be frontrunners to win the NL Central?

Stoky44
12-09-2003, 10:15 PM
I am afraid the Cubs are going to be really good this year. It kills me to say it but I think they will win the Central and prob a good chance of getting further in October than they did last year.

As I write this I try to think about why I think the Cubs are going to be good. What comes to mind is not Sosa, nor is it this good offensive team: its PITCHING. They have a really good staff and pen now. This is not saying they don't have some quality position players, but the pitching is what makes them good.

I hope the Sox will try to get pitching with the almost certain future trades and I hope we use the draft picks to get pitching as well.

IT kills me to talk this way about the Flubs, but unfortunately its the truth. God I hate the freaking Scrubs and it kills me that this year is the first year in a while I won't be able to say the Sox have a better team. I wouldn't admit the Cubs will be better, I just will not say anything.

duke of dorwood
12-09-2003, 10:40 PM
They ARE front runners.. Like they said on AM 1000-its becoming "Win Now" in Baseball.

nodiggity59
12-09-2003, 10:50 PM
There is hope.

It's likely that at least one of the Flubs SP will get injured from being overworked last year.

Borowski will hopefully be bagging groceries somewhere by mid season.

Sammy's 35 and still strikes out. Alou will be 38.

We've seen Ramirez can have a minor league half year if he gets in a bad mood.

Grudzelanek had a career year last year. Doubt he'll top a .280 AVG.

Lee is slightly overrated and strikes out a TON. He was domoted to 7th in the Marlins order by the end of last year and they use the pitcher to hit in 9th.

Patterson has a lot of expectations and is coming off an injury year.

Gonzalez could never hit and now he's got a famous error hanging over his head.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Taken separately, these seem unrealistic but on the whole I think its obvious the Flubs could be in trouble. At least more than us.

VaSoxfan
12-09-2003, 10:52 PM
Who cares about the Cubs? They are in the NL Central, the Sox are in the AL Central. Last I checked, they aren't in our division so who cares how freaking scary they are in December?

They will always find a way to blow it anyway, if this past postseason wasn't proof enough for you people, I don't know what will.

I'll worry about the apparently mighty and unbeatable Flubs if by some miracle the Sox face off against them in the World Series, not before.

Stoky44
12-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by VaSoxfan
Last I checked, they aren't in our division so who cares how freaking scary they are in December?

Because they are one L ride away and there are many more Flub fans in this city and I can't stand to see them happy.

VaSoxfan
12-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Good. Then be scared of them if that's what you want. From what I heard half the Sox fans in Chicago turned their coats and started supporting those losers anyway when the playoffs started. Might as well start kissing their butts now about this awesome juggernaut they are building when it's not even 2004 yet.

I'm not going to sit here worrying about the stinking Cubs when a) they ALWAYS find a way to choke and die and b) the Sox future is plenty scary enough right now.

DSpivack
12-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by VaSoxfan
a) they ALWAYS find a way to choke and die and b) the Sox future is plenty scary enough right now.

Couldn't have said better myself.

soxwon
12-09-2003, 11:54 PM
the cubs cant win it all they are GOAT BITTEN, if anything taught us last season the cubs will NEVER win it, the jinx man believe in it.
ill venture and predict the cubs will finnish 3rd next season, when they are picked to win THEY LOSE.
they cant beat US we will still take 4 out of 6.
the sox rule chicago-believe it

MRKARNO
12-10-2003, 12:05 AM
OK. We still have to remember that this is a Chicago baseball team and it always seems that a team is ready to make a big improvement after Chicago teams go far, but they always fail the huge expectations for the next year. The cubs havent had 2 straight winning seasons in the past 30 years and until we see one, there is no reason to believe that they'll have one this year. The cubs won a grand total of 88 games last year and a few breaks the other way and the astros could have easily won (they finished one back). So I am not believing the hype of the Cubs due to the fact that this team was lucky to get as far as they did. They won the division by a game. They won the NLDS in 5 and they went to game 7 of the NLCS. So many good Cubs breaks that the 8th inning of game 6 was just the statistical evening out of the Cubs.

lowesox
12-10-2003, 01:23 AM
I'm personally in love with the idea of them spending millions of dollars and falling flat on their faces. Which, I truly believe they will.

DSpivack
12-10-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
I'm personally in love with the idea of them spending millions of dollars and falling flat on their faces. Which, I truly believe they will.

Hopefully!

Realist
12-10-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by DSpivack
I hate to be yet another White Sox fan complaining of the Cubs, but...

Am I the only one who thinks that all their moves are quite scary [given that they appear to not be as cheap as their south side counterparts], and think they should be frontrunners to win the NL Central?

I think many people that are griping about how bad they believe the Sox are going to be next year are subconsciously fearing a good Cubs team that'll go deep into the playoffs. Year after year one of the things that makes being a Sox fan kinda bearable is knowing that no matter how bad the Sox will be, odds are the Cubs are going to be worse. We could say, "Cubs Suck!!" and really mean it because as a rule, they usually do.

This is the first time I can remember thinking that the Cubs actually have a better team than the Sox do and I HATE it. Last year's playoffs were just about unbearable for me. The fact that I tend bar at a bar 4 blocks from the Urinal and I have to see that gawdawful Cubbie paraphenalia every stinkin' day of my life brings me added stress and I'm sure it's taking years off my life.

If the Cubs make it to the World Series this year, I'm signing a DNR and you'll probably find me in the corner of the bar vibrating my index finger between my lips and talking in numbers.

kempsted
12-10-2003, 10:26 AM
The Cubs finished 3rd in the NL Central last year by almost every measure. They only won 88 games - two more than us.

When you look at expected wins by run production they won two more games than they should have and Houston lost 8 more games than they should have. Past history tells us these difference are luck factors that don't carry over. So if the Cubs stand pat they should be expected to come in 3rd.

But over the off season so far they have done almost nothing even with all there money. Lee - ho hum. Yeah replacing Choi and Karros who they let go with Lee is a big deal. Yeah right - it is a slight upgrade but at first base where there are always a lot of players available.

Other than that they have done no position player moves. They have a suspect outfield. They let Loften go, Patterson is questionable, Alou is getting older and Sosa will most likely be impacted by drug testing.

Pitchers? They let most of their bullpen go and have so far picked up Hawkins who has a career ERA over 6. He has only done well under one pitching coach who didn't follow him. Good pickup maybe but could blow up.

Other than that why are people so worried? You guys buy into the Cubs PR machine too much.

cornball
12-10-2003, 10:32 AM
As much as I hate to say it, the Cubs win be a very good team in 2004 and have as good a chance as anyone to win iot all. The reason is simply confidence.

Well pitching doesn't hurt either, but I think they know they are close, have money and want it.