PDA

View Full Version : Sox to be creative?

cornball
12-09-2003, 06:44 PM
http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031208&content_id=613029&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha

The official site claims the Sox have a good nucleus, but the core group makes 53MM. KW has a firm 58MM budget.

So they plan to be creative.

Why would a FA want to come here unless they would be paid more than market? The Sox were 0-6 in our own FA. What would Mags value be in the last year of his contract? Wait and see I guess.

washington
12-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by cornball
Why would a FA want to come here unless they would be paid more than market? The Sox were 0-6 in our own FA. What would Mags value be in the last year of his contract? Wait and see I guess.

I'm afraid the Sox are becoming like the Bulls were under Reinsdorf and Krause: their reputation among players is becoming so bad that no free agents want to sign with them. Reinsdorf may think that thinks like the Thomas "Diminished Skills Clause" are cute but they make him look like a complete joke in the eyes of other players and their agents.

hold2dibber
12-09-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by washington
I'm afraid the Sox are becoming like the Bulls were under Reinsdorf and Krause: their reputation among players is becoming so bad that no free agents want to sign with them. Reinsdorf may think that thinks like the Thomas "Diminished Skills Clause" are cute but they make him look like a complete joke in the eyes of other players and their agents.

Why do you say this? The reason free agents are coming this offseason is because the Sox aren't offering enough money. Gordon got more than the Sox were willing to offer. Alomar left because the Sox didn't offer enough money. Colon left for a much richer deal from Anaheim. It's not like the Sox are offering as much or more than other teams. They're simply being outbid. It has nothing to do with free agents not wanting to play here.

RedPinStripes
12-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Why do you say this? The reason free agents are coming this offseason is because the Sox aren't offering enough money. Gordon got more than the Sox were willing to offer. Alomar left because the Sox didn't offer enough money. Colon left for a much richer deal from Anaheim. It's not like the Sox are offering as much or more than other teams. They're simply being outbid. It has nothing to do with free agents not wanting to play here.

Beside the money that Jerry wont give anyone, I doubt the fact thathe refuses to deal with Boras and he tried to sneak a "private meeting "with A-Rod behind Boras' back helps anything. The diminished skills clause, the incentive contracts and never keeping a winner together add in there too. I'm sure Jerry's known as one of the scumbags around baseball as he is in basketball.

DrCrawdad
12-09-2003, 09:29 PM
What's sick to me is how fast the Sox can turn a positive buzz into gloom and doom.

Last year the Sox pulled out of a tailspin and were in first place. They made some aggressive trades that seemed to energize the fans, myself included. Then they play like crap when it counts and fall out of the race. They announce further great changes to the park. They have me encouraged. Then there is a parade of players leaving while ticket & parking prices go up.

Great job Sox organization spoiling a good mojo!