PDA

View Full Version : In Cotts we trust?

StockdaleForVeep
12-09-2003, 04:13 PM
Its horrible we lost el barto, my fave mlb player since he first started for cleveland but remember, we do have neal cotts who is slated to be a big stud, granted it didnt show last year but he had glimmers of greatness and was mismanaged, this isnt another Rauch whos been just a dissapointment after injury.

I forget whats his face from oakland who started this season but look at the production he made, i believe 13 scoreless innings in start\relief. So perhaps Cotts is the savior we require.

But then again i have been wrong, Im Kent Brockman

Rocky Soprano
12-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Cotts was very strong over in AA but then he came up and just got sucked.

Maybe he wasnt mentally ready, but now he needs to step up the mound and show us what he is made off (hopefully something good).

BeerHandle
12-09-2003, 04:22 PM
They say Cotts will be good, the question is WHEN?

MRKARNO
12-09-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
They say Cotts will be good, the question is WHEN?

When he gets more than 3 starts to prove himself

Dub25
12-09-2003, 04:32 PM
The way he always missed the strike zone(High and away to righties up and in to lefties) in the same spot leads me to believe he needs to overcome nerves. He seemed like he was fine until behind in the count or someone got on then he would miss the plate in the same spot. Get this kid to relax and he will be fine. I'm certainly not ready to give up.

StockdaleForVeep
12-09-2003, 06:43 PM
Remember that cotts did look impressive but thanx to mismanagement(like when he was put in against the yankees instead of buehrle) he was lit up at times.

Lip Man 1
12-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Unless the Sox make some significant moves in the next two months Cotts will be able to stay in the rotation and show what he can do without any pressure of being in a pennant race.

And given the sox track record with young pitchers over the past ten years I wouldn't be very optimistic with him.

Lip

jeremyb1
12-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Dub25
The way he always missed the strike zone(High and away to righties up and in to lefties) in the same spot leads me to believe he needs to overcome nerves. He seemed like he was fine until behind in the count or someone got on then he would miss the plate in the same spot. Get this kid to relax and he will be fine. I'm certainly not ready to give up.

I definitely noticed that too. He was obviously having some problems with mechanics whether it was nerves, a slump, or something else. Regardless, that was obviously his biggest problem and that type of thing shouldn't be a long term issue if we have pitching coaches worth anything in the organization.

Daver
12-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Regardless, that was obviously his biggest problem and that type of thing shouldn't be a long term issue if we have pitching coaches worth anything in the organization.

Kirk Champion is considered one of the best in all of minor league baseball.

Huisj
12-09-2003, 08:11 PM
yes, things are always clearer in hind sight, but that cotts-buerhle detroit-new york fiasco really may have changed the entire shape of the end of the season. It still pisses me off.

and even though this is hind sight, i think we pretty much all recognized the stupidity of that move when it was first mentioned as a possibility on sunday of that week.

buerhle was pitching decent at the time, and then he's given an extra day of rest so that he can beat a team that sucks. he got out of rythm because of it and was pissed off about being switched out his normal spot that he had also requested he pitch in.

and then cotts, coming off a halfway start that showed slight hints at what he can do, is totally thrown into the fire in a big ESPN game in yankee stadium, and his confidence is totally rocked off the face of the earth. how different could things have ended if buerhle could have kept a rythm going and if cotts had boosted his confidence and possibly started to get things together.

oh well who am i kidding, JR still would have forced half the team away by now anyway.