PDA

View Full Version : Sox should sign guys like.......

joeynach
12-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Tony Womack and Ben Grieve. They need to add depth. Extra talent at a pretty cheap price that can play if our young youth doesn't pull a marlins this year. Guys like this would give the team a lot more confidence and we could probably get each of them for like 2 mil per year.

FanOf14
12-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
Tony Womack and Ben Grieve. They need to add depth. Extra talent at a pretty cheap price that can play if our young youth doesn't pull a marlins this year. Guys like this would give the team a lot more confidence and we could probably get each of them for like 2 mil per year.

Personally I like old youth...sorry couldn't resist.

I think that is what the Sox must be planning to do, either that or they are going to field a bad version of a AAA team and sell it as a rebuilding season.

Yes, I know it is early, but it really sucks that other teams are trying to improve and the Sox are sitting on their hands. Time waits for no one.

MHOUSE
12-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Womack is an injury concern, but I'd take Grieve. He's a good bat off the bench and plays decently in the field I think. The Indians are rebuilding. They're letting their kids get a chance to play and improve and be better for the future. The Sox are looking like fielding a team of really bad major leaguers with little upside or room to improve much while they continue to get older. We need to strike now while the Central is weaker than ever. Right now I'd put the Royals as favorites to win this thing.

washington
12-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Ben Grieve's turned into a Jeff Liefer-type player. .230/4/17 last year in 55 games, Womack was .226/2/22 in 103 games. If the Sox don't have minor leaguers who can at least duplicate those levels of production at the ML level, the franchise is in sorry shape.

JasonC23
12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
Tony Womack

If the Sox sign Tony Womack, they are officially the dumbest organization in baseball.

JRIG
12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by washington
Ben Grieve's turned into a Jeff Liefer-type player. .230/4/17 last year in 55 games, Womack was .226/2/22 in 103 games. If the Sox don't have minor leaguers who can at least duplicate those levels of production at the ML level, the franchise is in sorry shape.

Bingo. Why pay Tony Womack $2 million for what Willie Harris can do for $300,000. Grieve might be worth a gamble, but not at $2 million.

joecrede
12-09-2003, 04:09 PM
I like Grieve as an option, but only if they get rid of Ordonez. Reed is first in line to replace Lee.