PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rowand in the Pueto Rican League

MRKARNO
12-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Here's his eye-popping stats

G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IB SO SB CS DP AVG OBP SLG
24 85 18 21 44 5 0 6 17 11 0 15 3 0 0 .247 .366 .518

Well No double plays in 85 ABs is much more than our lineup could say last year and the truth is that he started much worse than this and has been improving, but a fight with Reed and Borchard could benefit him.

Maybe Rowand is just a slow starter, but if we're in a race and he's hit his stride in September, then what's the problem?

Randar68
12-09-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Maybe Rowand is just a slow starter, but if we're in a race and he's hit his stride in September, then what's the problem?

Maybe Rowand just isn't Major League Starter Material. How about that?

MRKARNO
12-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Maybe Rowand just isn't Major League Starter Material. How about that?

I'm sure that was said about Esteban Loaiza as well. But we need Rowand only as a stopgap for Reed

BeerHandle
12-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Defensively = good
Bat = ????

Bench/Role player.

Randar68
12-09-2003, 04:58 PM
I'm sure that was said about Esteban Loaiza as well.

Not by anyone who knew jack about baseball. Loaiza has always had the talent and movement on his pitches. For him it's always been mental and work ethic. Toronto finally had enough, and there really wasn't any indication he'd ever figure it out. He spent the past 3-4 years in custody/divorce hearings in addition to more recently having his serious girlfriend involved in a serious accident that left her physically disabled.

Rowand has no talent. He tries hard, but he's not MLB starting material no matter how many time Gumshoe whines that he is.

Randar68
12-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Defensively = good
Bat = ????

Bench/Role player.

Ah yes, the ever popular myth that running into walls and being unable to judge fly balls somehow equates to good defense.

RedPinStripes
12-09-2003, 06:12 PM
**** him!!!!!!!!!

JRIG
12-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Here's his eye-popping stats

G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IB SO SB CS DP AVG OBP SLG
24 85 18 21 44 5 0 6 17 11 0 15 3 0 0 .247 .366 .518

Well No double plays in 85 ABs is much more than our lineup could say last year and the truth is that he started much worse than this and has been improving, but a fight with Reed and Borchard could benefit him.

Ummm...guys...I'm about the biggest Rowand-basher around here, but the .366 OBP and .518 SLG is great. If he can do that during the season we should all get down on our knees and thank a higher power.

Don't look at the batting average. It's not that important anyway. He's got 6 HR in 85 AB and an 11/15 BB/K ratio. If he can actually carry this over (not a sure thing) then I'd be thrilled to see him as our starting CF. No joke.

ondafarm
12-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Ummm...guys...I'm about the biggest Rowand-basher around here, but the .366 OBP and .518 SLG is great.

Not in the Peurto Rican league they aren't. Short fences and far from ML quality pitching in general. Plus, Rowand has Wally Backman managing him, one of the best at getting a mans stats up.

Blueprint1
12-09-2003, 07:07 PM
The choice between Harris or Rowand is an easy one. Harris can't hit at all. Harris is fast but he can't bunt. given the choice i dont see how you could pick Harris over Rowand. I like Rowands short swing unlike bochard he has a nice compact swing. Is Rowand ever going to be a great player? Most likely no but i think hes a solid player. Much better than Harris who by the way Baltamore gave up on.

jabrch
12-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Here we go again....

:threadsucks

MRKARNO
12-09-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Here we go again....

:threadsucks

Well maybe this thread sucks because the sox' situation sucks. I think we need to curb the use of that because of the suckiness of the sox' situation

RedPinStripes
12-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Well maybe this thread sucks because the sox' situation sucks. I think we need to curb the use of that because of the suckiness of the sox' situation

Naaaa. I still get a kick out of that pic every time i see. it. :D:

MRKARNO
12-09-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Naaaa. I still get a kick out of that pic every time i see. it. :D:

Well, use the pic, but realize that just about every thread sucks

Randar68
12-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
The choice between Harris or Rowand is an easy one. Harris can't hit at all. Harris is fast but he can't bunt. given the choice i dont see how you could pick Harris over Rowand. I like Rowands short swing unlike bochard he has a nice compact swing. Is Rowand ever going to be a great player? Most likely no but i think hes a solid player. Much better than Harris who by the way Baltamore gave up on.

Harris has a short swing as well and at least has physical talent. Harris is a better defensive option IMO. He has much better range and despite having limited experience in CF, he has better instincts and footwork than Aaron Rowand who's been an OF'er his entire career. THAT is sad. Harris can't bunt? What did I miss considering Rowand can't bunt or hit for power either. Harris has speed and he has had a better history of offensive success in the minors than Rowand.

People complain that Rowand hasn't had enough regular playing time but discount the same for Harris. Neither is a great option, but Harris will have a chance in Spring Training as will Reed and Borchard. If either one of the two is at the top of the lineup, we're in serious trouble no matter which way you slice it.

Blueprint1
12-09-2003, 10:21 PM
YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
2003 93 157 22 45 8 0 6 24 7 21 0 0 .287 .327 .452 .780

this is rowand last year

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
2003 79 137 19 28 3 1 0 5 10 28 12 2 .204 .259 .241.499

this is harris

So in every single way Rowand is better at the plate. Rowand had twenty more at bats but K'd 7 less times than harris. AS you can see Rowand has a better OBP and a higher slugging percentage. On defence in center Rowand has the better arm and has very good range just as Harris. I believe that Harris will never hit major league pitching. Kenny Williams traded for Harris and I believe this is the only reason we still see him in a Sox uniform. I hope that Ozzy will not play Harris because of his "Speed" remember Florida won because they used their speed at the right times. Looking at these numbers it seems to me that Harris could never be a leadoff hitter his OBP is .259 thats really bad. No Rowand is not a great player but I say give him a chance over Harris. Like i said if hes not good enough for Baltamore hes not good enough for the sox. Wait Kenny traded for him so he will get playing time.

Randar68
12-10-2003, 10:40 AM
On defence in center Rowand has the better arm and has very good range just as Harris.

Pass me some of what you're smoking. Rowand hasn't a clue how to set himself up to throw. He could have a 20 mm cannon attached to his shoulder, but if it's aimed at Lake Michigan, it ain't gonna help much. Add in his poor instincts or ability to judge a ball and run to a spot like a 12 year old kid is taught to do, and you have the makings of a mediocre at best defensive CF'er.

I believe that Harris will never hit major league pitching. Kenny Williams traded for Harris and I believe this is the only reason we still see him in a Sox uniform. I hope that Ozzy will not play Harris because of his "Speed" remember Florida won because they used their speed at the right times. Looking at these numbers it seems to me that Harris could never be a leadoff hitter his OBP is .259 thats really bad. No Rowand is not a great player but I say give him a chance over Harris. Like i said if hes not good enough for Baltamore hes not good enough for the sox. Wait Kenny traded for him so he will get playing time.

Aaron Rowand is soon to be 27 years old, IIRC, and has 582 career major league AB's and a whopping .325 OBP. Harris is 2 years younger and has half as many AB's. He can play 2B and CF, and he has speed. Harris has had half as many major league AB's and has shown the ability to take a walk and hit for average in the minors, something Rowand has yet to be able to do. Here, he's hitting well below .300 in basically a AAA winter league.

Let them play it out, but Rowand is toast either way. If he's our opening day CF'er and Kenny doesn't address 2B, we're in big trouble either way.

jabrch
12-10-2003, 11:58 AM
Well, use the pic, but realize that just about every thread sucks

MRKARNO - I am just somewhat tired of the Aaron Rowand discussion. I think everyone agrees - Rowand shouldn't start on a MLB team. He would be a fine 4th OF. But at least once a week we start up again. He hits walls harder than balls, we know that. He isn't a contact hitter - we know that. He is a grinder - we know that.

Frankly, I have no problem with the salary cap discussions - I am just tired of hearing about Aaron Rowand - both his strengths and his weaknesses.

34 Inch Stick
12-10-2003, 12:50 PM
If the off season shows no signs of progress I may have to stay in the Parking Lot. I just cannot get much incentive to debate Rowand v. Harris in centerfield for a 4th place team in baseball's worst division.

maurice
12-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Just a few quibbles . . .

- Rowand turned 26 a few months ago, and Harris turns 26 this coming season.
- Their minor-league batting averages are about the same.
- Rowand looks like he can hit well enough to stick on a major league roster, but Harris still needs to prove that he can get on base more than 25% of the time.
- Neither will walk a ton in the majors, but Harris walked more often in the minors and (as a result) got on base more often.
- Neither has a ton of power, but Rowand has demonstrated much more power than Harris.
- Harris is much faster and plays at least decent defense at two important positions.

The bottom line is that, right now, the Sox have huge ???'s at 2B and CF (and SP and RP), and (unlike the teams who are actually trying to improve) it looks like the Sox are not going to upgrade those positions significantly through free agency.